Botany Bay Dollies

grantkingfish

Went to botany bay with off tap on wednesday 11/4 to catch my first dolphin fish. We got to the boat ramp about 5:30am launched the boat and headed to the bait grounds for some yellowtail, berlied up and dropped some jigs.offtaps young bloke pulled up a nice size jacket before we headed out to the close fad with about 6 or7 yellowtail in the well. We got to the fad at about 6:45 or so and on the first drift offtaps son hooked up to a 60cm dollie. second drift he hooked up again another 60cm, we caught another 2 there about the same size before we headed out to the wide fad. on the way out we noticed that the conditions couldnt have been any better, it was like glass.

Got to the fad at about 8 or 9 am, and when we got there we found about 4 boats drifting for them aswell, first drift we got some hits but no hookups, same with the second and third. some of the boats left and there was only 2 of us left and we noticed that the other boat was going well hooking 2 and 3 per drift, we finally hooked up and caught about 5 or 6 when we saw some dollies chasing some baitfish they circled our boat and took off, dave (offtap) said to get the baits in the water as they wont go far, so we threw 4 rods out the back and waited, and in the matter of 2 minutes all four rods went off at once and with only 3 of us in the boat we had to work quick. and as luck would have it we landed all 4. the biggest being about 75 and the smallest about 65, all upwe had 14 dollies in the boat and we decided to get one more and then head back to down rig for some kings. unfortunately the dollies were gone and after abot 3 or 4 drifts we knew that they had gone off the bite and we will have to head back with 14, so we left the fad at about 1:30 and decided to do some trolling on the way back so we put 4 rods out the back of the boat and trolled some small skirts in various colours all purchased from wattos fishing. We were about 5 ks out from the bay when i noticed that there was some baitfish jumping out of the water with a couple of dollies right behind them, we kept goin and we were around 2 to 3 ks from our destination when we hooked up on the black and purple skirt, offtap brought it in and to our suprise it was a 65 cm dollie, we got the 15 we were after. finally got to our destination in the bay and dropped the down riggers one with a livie and the other a squid strip. On the first run the squid was getting hit but no hook up and at that moment the livie went crazy and the rod bent over, offtaps son cage grabbed the rod an was hooked up to what seemed to be a nice size king , it took him about 5 to 6 mins to get it into the boat, it was his biggerst king at 75cm, nice work cage! Got back to the boatramp about 3:30 cleaned the fish and headed home, all up it was a great day with one king at 75cm 15 dollies ranging from 55 to 75 and a legal leather jacket, feels great to cross another fish off my list. Offtap will be loading the pictures on so stay posted.

Thats the last one of the four that hit the deck thats why its still full of colour when pic was snapped.Cheers Dave

Isn't it amazing how quickly they lose that awesome colour :(

The first one i caught i thought to my self I am keepin this one(I don't usually keep fish) to show the Mrs how cool it looked.

By the time I got home it looked like an old footy sock :074:

Great day out there to hey, well done..

Robbie.

Edited by Robbielites

Guest Big-Banana

how pretty is that dark green dollie

Yep, make sure you take a pic straight out of the water. They look 1000 times better.

Dollies are certainly here. Had mates getting 20 a day no worries. I think perseverance is the key.

Guest MRS WATTO

Grant

I cannot believe you placed your 1st post :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Great report and great catch. Hope you didnt get sea sick on OFFTAPS BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward in reading more of your reports

Grant

I cannot believe you placed your 1st post :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Great report and great catch. Hope you didnt get sea sick on OFFTAPS BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward in reading more of your reports

Grant was also the first to use the new toilet on boat

Guest MRS WATTO

thanks zip.

i hope its not my last.....

im going out on sunday if conditions are ok and i have a great skipper taking me out too. going on team WATTOS boat. hopefully another great post will follow.

Goodluck for Sunday Grant, Hopefully you boys will come back with a feed :074::074::074:

Remember make sure you troll that lure I sold you it has a 100% strike rate

Guest MRS WATTO

grants just lucky i wasnt there i would have cleaned up lol :beersmile::beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

OWEN DONT TEASE GRANT, AT LEAST HE DOESNT LOOSE LURES EACH FISHING TRIP

LIKE YOU DO :074::074::074: