Seabed Maps

abiasin

There's some great info in here mate. Check it out:

Maps

cheers mate, im actually after something to show where the kelp beds are, the gravel, reefs, etc. ive oly found one for tasmania but that is useless to me in sydney lol.

ive heard they exist but cant find anything.

Hey mate

They do exist,,, seen one recently. Unfortunately it was just a very quick peek...... Try to befriend maritime survey divers, or navy divers. Thse guys regularly survey sydney harb for future use..... These maps are not available to the public ( or least the one Ive seen),, Ive been trying to swindle one from someone for over 12mths.

D & G

Hey mate

They do exist,,, seen one recently. Unfortunately it was just a very quick peek...... Try to befriend maritime survey divers, or navy divers. Thse guys regularly survey sydney harb for future use..... These maps are not available to the public ( or least the one Ive seen),, Ive been trying to swindle one from someone for over 12mths.

D & G

got buckleys of that happening, just may have to take up snorkelling. NOT!!!

Hi guys,

Yes those maps do exist, but are not available to us mere mortals, even though I was one of the many contributors years ago. (I have more than 500 dives in the harbour). I don't even have a complete harbour map ! Was there a specific area, or something that you just want to know ? I mainly focussed east of Rose Bay to South head, and a few on the North side....to just outside and around South Head (the Colours). It's really amazing what you find on the bottom of the Harbour....

Geoff

My local tackle shop sells those maps...they show detailed contours of the estuary and the offshore areas including reefs and drop offs....they are a map used by many maritime services.....pm me for the details of the tackle shop

A mate of mine sells them in his tackle store - they have different colours to represent the differing bottoms with depths,reefs etc.

The store is in kogarah down south - send me a message if you want the name.

Casper

• 3 weeks later...

I bought that map from Boat Books in Crows nest. I have it on the wall in my home office.

It is in different colours to an Admiralty chart - its coloured orange,brown,grey etc depending on the bottom.

From memory it cost around $25-$30

Jason