Sydney Wide And Terrigal Fads

bolan

Went out with the Wife for a Friday Night at Juno. A few Raiders were going out aswell, but my radio was stuck on 88 and would not shift to 96 :1badmood: I hope others had better luck than we did.One Soapie Jew and a Gazillion Hammerhead, I Port Jackson, and something that has been identified as the cousin of a black tipped reef shark!

All I knew that my precious livie collection was getting munched and at one point in time, I sent down a note to see if they wanted fries and a shake aswell!

The river was that still that we collected a lot of livies so as to stay in the mouth of the River Sat morning or hit the water at 5.00am and do the runner to the Sydney North FADs. Okay, so we slept in, but I still felt confident that whilst everyone would be chasing livies, Jo and I would just have to weigh anchor and head straight out. The going was great and with the swell similar to a bathtub, we averaged 40kph all the way. The arrival sound soon ticked off on the GPS and it was like De Ja Vu (Previous post of mine"Me the Kids and those bloomin FADS") Here we had 4 boats and now mine, all circling round and round- like when the Indians attack the Cowboys in a movie, looking for this Bloody FAD.

NOT THERE!!! and there were 5 not very happy boaties searching quite a large area!Now, I remember a Raider telling me last post to check the markers with the Fisheries Dept. I had the bloody paper in my pocket so here were all 5 of us ranting and raving and me waving my Fisheries GPS Co-Ordinates when :wife: steps in and she decides "lets hit Terrigal FAD instead" Cool! I thought she'd be over it by now.

Sooooooooo, off we go another 8km still at a good speed and this time things look better. 3 boats out there all basically in the same spot.Well, how many Chinamen have I run over this week? they were all hanging around ranting and raving the same as we were about the same problem! NO FAD.

That Sucked.

I had just done approx 40km and not a line got wet. We tried to throw a line out but the sounder had less colour on it than a TV show in the 60's!

Heading back in, everything pretty miserable, the wife hollars out FAD! and things looked heaps better. Threw the handbrake on, did a quick U-Turn and blow me down, 1 solitary FAD line with a few floats 8km away from any fisheries marker, but still looking as pretty as ever!So we worked it pretty hard with everything we had, but alas no dollies about.We headed in feeling happy about the fact that we located FAD's, but a little dissapointed that we literally clocked up 70km in the day trying to find them.!!

All in all though, we'd still give our trip the big :thumbup:

And my missus was a real champ as that was a long haul and she handled it brilliantly :yahoo:

So. Beware if you think you can find these FAD's as many of us on Saturday morning bombed out! I did locate and GPS the lone FAD that we found, PM me if you want it.(Don't mind sharing with a Raider)

Cheers.

hey stumpy,i was out there at junos point last night,i tried call for fishraiders on the 2 way, but was out of luck,it was a very disappointing night ,it bloody got cold out there as well.i was in the haines signature,was that you right near me,about 20 meters away.we where going to head out to see if there where any dollies,thank god we didnt,we hung around the river for not even a run,spewing

Guest Big-Banana

Yep, not f*cken happy mate. 22km is too far to go out and not find a FAD. All the commercial fisherman have seemingly picked up their traps (maybe caught their quota?) Or moved them wider? Very disappointed.

!Now, I remember a Raider telling me last post to check the markers with the Fisheries Dept. I had the bloody paper in my pocket so here were all 5 of us ranting and raving and me waving my Fisheries GPS Co-Ordinates when :wife: steps in and she decides "lets hit Terrigal FAD instead" Cool! I thought she'd be over it by now.

That was me. I was there only about two weeks before your last trip and the Broken Bay Coords I had in my GPS would have crashed me into the thing. My FIL and his other SIL hit the Terrigal FAD only a couple of weeks ago and went straight to it. Something must be not right.

Without trying to be a Smart A have you got the time settings on your GPS correct without daylight savings. Should be + 10 hours I think from memory but I'd have to check mine to make sure.

This probably isn't the problem if there were 5 other boats all in the same spot and 1 hour out either way would see you way off the chart I suppose. Other possibility is using the correct datum. You probably already checked all this out but just suggestions.

Livo

That was me. I was there only about two weeks before your last trip and the Broken Bay Coords I had in my GPS would have crashed me into the thing. My FIL and his other SIL hit the Terrigal FAD only a couple of weeks ago and went straight to it. Something must be not right.

Without trying to be a Smart A have you got the time settings on your GPS correct without daylight savings. Should be + 10 hours I think from memory but I'd have to check mine to make sure.

This probably isn't the problem if there were 5 other boats all in the same spot and 1 hour out either way would see you way off the chart I suppose. Other possibility is using the correct datum. You probably already checked all this out but just suggestions.

Livo

Mmmmmmmmmmm, youv'e got me thinking, I am going out to the boat right now!

(At least if thats the problem, there were a heck of a lot more in the same boat!-so to speak :074: )

And by the way, thanks for the fisheries info :thumbup:

Cheers!

hey stumpy,i was out there at junos point last night,i tried call for fishraiders on the 2 way, but was out of luck,it was a very disappointing night ,it bloody got cold out there as well.i was in the haines signature,was that you right near me,about 20 meters away.we where going to head out to see if there where any dollies,thank god we didnt,we hung around the river for not even a run,spewing

foreverfishing, sorry about the radio mate, am going to have to replace mine this week. :1badmood: I had the out riggers hanging out the sides with a few livies weighted down.Twin rigs on the stern.Yes, it was cold wasn't it :wacko:

Hay stumpy

I fished both FADS on Friday morning and they were right were the fisheries sites said they were. I did notice that the current was shifting all over the place and on the way back in from outwider the broken bay north FAD was half under water due to the currents, that was late friday afternoon. Maybe by the morning they had been pulled under completly.

I was one of those boats circling at the Sydney North FAD. I was actually first out and thought I was in the wrong spot till four or five other boats arrived. So left there and went to 9 mile, found some traps and got a few dollies, but they were so small, maybe 50cm.

Fished some closer reefs on the way back in for snapper, tailor and bonito.

Ended up being a good day.

Cheers

Bennos

Check todays posts. There were people fishing the Sydney North FAD which I think is the same one I call the Broken Bay FAD. They found it and caught fish.

Were you GPS time and Datum correct. If they are then the buoy must have been completely submerged by strong currents. If thats the case how unkucky are you to strike it that way twice?

Let us know what you discover.

I just checked my Garmin Bluechart Mapsource coordinates and I have the FAD plotted at

S33 35.554

E151 34.607

And like I said I would have crashed into the day I went.

Nice report - paints the picture prefectly. Sorry you didn't land some biggins - got to give you the thumbs up for effort :thumbup: and well done Mrs Stumpy ... I can just imagine what the Fad dilemma was like :ranting2:

What was the visibility like on Friday night?

I'm sure your day will come soon.

Cheers Marg