Currarong, South Coast

mjb

Hi Raiders

First poster here, so be gentle!!

We fished out of Currarong on the South Coast over the Easter break, and I managed my first turtle "catch and release" I have caught plenty of strange things before, but never a turtle. The poor little bugger had the hook stuck in the corner of the mouth, so after a little dentistry he/she was released unharmed.

The snapper fishing was a bit light on which suprised me especially over Easter, but a mate of mine on another boat did managed one at 6.7kg cleaned.

The kids had a ball fishing for squid and yakka's with the occasional trev and small Samson fish thrown in

to keep things interesting and for kids and dad!!

The flatties were on the bite, but you had to chase them out wide in 110ft of water with squid being one of the best bait.

Last week the conditions were picture perfect with great sunsets and not ripple on the water, just great to be out there and enjoying it.

Mick.

post-3901-1176695154_thumb.jpg

post-3901-1176695174_thumb.jpg

post-3901-1176695188_thumb.jpg

post-3901-1176695200_thumb.jpg

post-3901-1176695214_thumb.jpg

Edited by rzep

Great Report there :biggrin2:

Im going down there this weekend with Big Banana fishing for kings if the weather is good :yahoo:

Just a quick question if you dont mind, any tips on where you found the squid because I couldnt find them last time.

Cheers Shaun :beersmile:

Great Report there :biggrin2:

Im going down there this weekend with Big Banana fishing for kings if the weather is good :yahoo:

Just a quick question if you dont mind, any tips on where you found the squid because I couldnt find them last time.

Cheers Shaun :beersmile:

Hi Shaun,

They were pretty well much around the main beach reefs and seaweed beds. Most of the big ones we caught had followed up the burley trails that we had set for snapper. They were becoming a real nuisance by pinching our floating snapper baits, and were easily pick up on the jigs.

Just a note, that the local Mobile Service Station is closing down soon and you will need to bring in your own fuel or travel around to Culburra to fill the boat up, which is a real bugger.

Regards

Mick.

Nice report, and some great pics.

Good to see the kids wearing life jackets, and Glad to see the release of the turtle.

That is definitely a turn up for the books.

I wonder if they will become the new south coast game target. Just kidding

I am looking forward to hearing about some big reds on the next trip.

Arch

Guest Big-Banana

Hi Shaun,

They were pretty well much around the main beach reefs and seaweed beds. Most of the big ones we caught had followed up the burley trails that we had set for snapper. They were becoming a real nuisance by pinching our floating snapper baits, and were easily pick up on the jigs.

Just a note, that the local Mobile Service Station is closing down soon and you will need to bring in your own fuel or travel around to Culburra to fill the boat up, which is a real bugger.

Regards

Mick.

Thanks for the tips mate!!!

I bet you thought you had a beauty when you caught the turtle.

That thing would be at least 15kg by the look of it.

You should put it on the forums best size turtle caught on bait - I doubt anyone will beat that!!!

Did it fight, dead weight, or swim up with the line?

Nice photo's and report

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Thunder

I bet you thought you had a beauty when you caught the turtle.

That thing would be at least 15kg by the look of it.

You should put it on the forums best size turtle caught on bait - I doubt anyone will beat that!!!

Did it fight, dead weight, or swim up with the line?

Nice photo's and report

Cheers

Greg

First I thought that I had a ray on, then got some thumping up the line and for a brief moment I thought I had my dream reddy on (to beat my mates 6.7kg), but couldn't believe my eye's when the turtle appeared!!

Felt sorry for the poor bugger especially trying to dislodge the hook out of his mouth, which was as hard as leather.

cheers

Mick