Poppers In The Basin

post-62-1176715788_thumb.jpg

Managed to get two sessions in on the Basin over the weekend one by myself(saturday) and one with my brother in law(sunday) and started off throwing poppers over a large flat that can produce well Saturday morning was the best with several bream falling to my favorite surecatch popper plus the usual amount of missed hookups which you expect using this method It was great fun with the bigger bream taking long runs across the flat with me chasing them with the electric motor Lost one popper to a large tailor there have been some caught in the basin over 60cm Sundays session was very slow with only one missed hookup and one nice bream around the 35cm

post-62-1176716106_thumb.jpg

post-62-1176716183_thumb.jpg

Sundays bream

nice fish there mate :thumbup: , woulda been lovely fishing on the weekend down there apart from all the boats out there with the school hols.

Ben

It wasnt to bad Ben you dont find the holiday makers up in the shallow flats which are only 2-3ft deep They are all out in the channels drifting for flatties There was a few locals out as the local club St Georges Basin Lure and Fly club had a comp weekend on

Nice one Iceman!

Nice to see a bream pic up mate!

Looking a little chilli with the beanie on brrrrr

Now the big question, how long are the bream going to chase poppers still?

With this cooler weather starting to kick in, I wonder how much time we have left?

The harbor still is producing but numbers have dropped over the last few weeks.

Hopefully the Cow is still working as that's where I'm planning to head this coming weekend.

Cheers

Greg

Well done, Iceman

I have heard of others fishing with poppers up here (usually on the flats, tho)

I have a few poppers & keep meaning to try them out when in/near the leases ...... but I don't want to get busted off & lose them! Silly, I know but .... do you fish structure (as such) and what strength leader do you recommend if fishing in or near oyster leases!??

Cheers

Roberta

Beautiful fish and well done , are those poppers the surecatch 3 for ten dollars ones . Have been using them of late and they seem a good deal..

Yep they sure are Great poppers they have worked quite well for me

Nice one Iceman!

Nice to see a bream pic up mate!

Looking a little chilli with the beanie on brrrrr

Now the big question, how long are the bream going to chase poppers still?

With this cooler weather starting to kick in, I wonder how much time we have left?

The harbor still is producing but numbers have dropped over the last few weeks.

Hopefully the Cow is still working as that's where I'm planning to head this coming weekend.

Cheers

Greg

Hey Greg

The bream should keep hitting surface poppers while the water is still warm but I think you will find the afternoons may work a little better

Fishing a tournie somewhere this weekend Greg?

Well done, Iceman

I have heard of others fishing with poppers up here (usually on the flats, tho)

I have a few poppers & keep meaning to try them out when in/near the leases ...... but I don't want to get busted off & lose them! Silly, I know but .... do you fish structure (as such) and what strength leader do you recommend if fishing in or near oyster leases!??

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Roberta

I dont use poppers in oyster leases Ill use squidgy bugs or pink ecogear grass minnows rigged on resin heads on 14lb leader there

The flats and weedbeds is where I use the poppers and I use 10lb leader as the bream tend to dive into the weeds or run through them A couple of the bream on the weekend came to the boat with weed strands wrapped around the leader Give it a go as its great fun

Hey Greg

The bream should keep hitting surface poppers while the water is still warm but I think you will find the afternoons may work a little better

Nah Ice, nothing till Lake Mac ABT for me, about a month away.

I have stopped fishing the "other" series totally this year, a shame really but :05:

In the process at looking at building a new Sydney series at the moment but we are still only at the talk stage but we will see what happens..........

Roberta

Like Ice said, get them pink grubs but rig them on worm hooks so you don't get hung up on the leases or bite the bullet and throw a popper over the rail ones with a popper or a Sammie on big leader and hang on! Do not let the fish turn and just keep winding!

Word of warning tho!

Bream on surface is like a drug, I haven't fished a non surface lure now since Christmas!

A full plano box and about a grand worth of surface lures later I still can't get enough!

Specially up your way, bigger bass lures are the go, 6-7cm ;)

Greg

New Sydney series sounds interesting Greg

Something similar to the berkely summer series would be good

I really enjoyed that one compared to some others

Wouldnt mind fishing Lake Mac myself but it doesnt look like I will make it at the moment Sussex inlet comp is looking good but I might need to find a boater

Edited by The Iceman

New Sydney series sounds interesting Greg

Something similar to the berkely summer series would be good

I really enjoyed that one compared to some others

Wouldnt mind fishing Lake Mac myself but it doesnt look like I will make it at the moment Sussex inlet comp is looking good but I might need to find a boater

All good things take time but how much time I'm not sure. :wacko:

I'm getting impatient. :(

I'm starting to spend my money on more camping/4WD'ing goods/accessories at the moment and there mightn't be anything left for a new boat. :1yikes::074:

I have stopped fishing the "other" series totally this year, a shame really but :05:

In the process at looking at building a new Sydney series at the moment but we are still only at the talk stage but we will see what happens..........

Greg

Sounds interesting Greg............. :thumbup:

cheers :beersmile:

Hooky

Great Result Iceman, :biggrin2:

Good to see the poppers producing the goods. Some really good bream made better by catching them off the top :thumbup: I love using these things but have not really cracked the bream on them as yet.

What kind of retrieve do you use, do you get hits on the pause?

Cheers

BM

Hi guys

Thanks for the encouragement to get out & try the flats & surface lures in the racks for bream. I was mullet fishing the other day in the racks & you could see the tails ploughing thru the water & assumed they were bream ..... would that be right? The tide was falling tho & the racks nearly exposed, so would have been suicide to toss to them.

Hmmmm, will just have to take those bits out tho - I find if i take my flattie lures as well, I will revert to flattie fishing pretty quick if I don't have success with the bream! Same as I never took bait out when first chucking flattie lures, either - too easy to switch back to bait if you weren't getting fish.

OK I'll give it a go next time!! I have God Knows how many lures (many still in the packet!!) and we have some great flats up here, too. WHen I paddle thru some, you see the 'boil' as the fish move off, or over the sand patches in the middle of the weed beds, you see schools of fish there!

I will bring all the toys to the Entrance!! :1prop:

Cheers

Roberta :1fishing1:

Guest Plastic Fanatic

What a great thread!

There is some fantastic advice from some very successful fishos here ... and then there is my 2 bob's worth :1prop:

Those little SureCatch lures are terrific. :thumbup::thumbup: I am using the same color as depicted in the photo with a lot of success around the rocky reef-type areas in my local water. When I buy them I ditch the hooks and replaced them with Gamagatsu or Daichi hooks. As alluded to by several other fishos ... this type of fishing is addictive.

I am a huge fan of hunting Flathead with soft plastics, so I made sure I left all that gear at home and just headed out with a box full of poppas to avoid any temptation. Once I mastered a reasonably successful retrieve I started boating some good bream. 90% of my fish are taken on the pause. (PB=43cm)

In the middle of the day I find them very successful when fish in shaded areas around timber and oyster racks. Any way, gotta go and re-read this thread 'cos there is ALWAYS something new to learn!

Great Result Iceman, :biggrin2:

Good to see the poppers producing the goods. Some really good bream made better by catching them off the top :thumbup: I love using these things but have not really cracked the bream on them as yet.

What kind of retrieve do you use, do you get hits on the pause?

Cheers

BM

Can be hard to explain the retrieve but Ill try

I hold the rod with the rod tip down near the water and give it two short jabs like trying to drag the popper underwater what should happen is water should spurt forward like the popper is spitting water out in front of it I wind up the little bit of slack line count to five and do it again Most hits come on the pause You really need a fairly stiff rod to get the right action

Hi guys

Thanks for the encouragement to get out & try the flats & surface lures in the racks for bream. I was mullet fishing the other day in the racks & you could see the tails ploughing thru the water & assumed they were bream ..... would that be right? The tide was falling tho & the racks nearly exposed, so would have been suicide to toss to them.

Hmmmm, will just have to take those bits out tho - I find if i take my flattie lures as well, I will revert to flattie fishing pretty quick if I don't have success with the bream! Same as I never took bait out when first chucking flattie lures, either - too easy to switch back to bait if you weren't getting fish.

OK I'll give it a go next time!! I have God Knows how many lures (many still in the packet!!) and we have some great flats up here, too. WHen I paddle thru some, you see the 'boil' as the fish move off, or over the sand patches in the middle of the weed beds, you see schools of fish there!

I will bring all the toys to the Entrance!! :1prop:

Cheers

Roberta :1fishing1:

Leave everthing at home and just take the poppers so you give it a good go

The tails were probably bream sucking up crabs worms and yabbies out of the bottom You can see them doing this quite a bit on the flats

Dont be surprised when you hook some stud whiting on the poppers as well I havent got one yet but Ive fished with guys who have

Yep they sure are Great poppers they have worked quite well for me

Hey Greg

Hi Roberta

I dont use poppers in oyster leases Ill use squidgy bugs or pink ecogear grass minnows rigged on resin heads on 14lb leader there

The flats and weedbeds is where I use the poppers and I use 10lb leader as the bream tend to dive into the weeds or run through them A couple of the bream on the weekend came to the boat with weed strands wrapped around the leader Give it a go as its great fun

Hi Andrew. Nice work on the poppers. They really are addictive.

I've noticed that the water temps have dropped a few degrees over the last few weeks. The bream don't seem as aggressive at the moment. There was a couple of weeks there that almost every cast on the flats with a hardbody would get nailed. I'd packed my poppers away for the year but may need to pull them back out for a few arvo sessions.

Cheers, Greg

Roberta

Like Ice said, get them pink grubs but rig them on worm hooks so you don't get hung up on the leases or bite the bullet and throw a popper over the rail ones with a popper or a Sammie on big leader and hang on! Do not let the fish turn and just keep winding!

Word of warning tho!

Bream on surface is like a drug, I haven't fished a non surface lure now since Christmas!

A full plano box and about a grand worth of surface lures later I still can't get enough!

Specially up your way, bigger bass lures are the go, 6-7cm ;)

Greg

Hi Greg, another Sydney comp... I'm going to be divorced this time next year...

Cheers, Greg

Hi Iceman

Well, I went out yesterday with poppers & unweighted sps ...... zippo!! I went to the open area in the lease where I had seen all the tailing the day before & they were doing it again. Should have gotten something, I reckon! Ne'er mind. Went for a bit of a paddle instead & found some nice cabbage & weed in one of the leases, so then thought ... bugger, didn't bring the blackie gear (could see some stud blackies in & around the lease walls.) Ask & ye shall receive.... found one of those little red/white round floats with a whiting hook on it! So whacked on some cabbage & tossed it out .... got a blackie first cast! Not legal, so put back.

Anyone ..... Where do you get the surecatch poppers at 3 for $10?? Sounds like a bargain! Oh yeah - also found a red/white popper stuck in the lease near the cabbage! Tossed it around a few times, but no hits. So, now I have read 'how to do it' properly .... will try again & only take out the poppers this time ....promise!

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Iceman

Well, I went out yesterday with poppers & unweighted sps ...... zippo!! I went to the open area in the lease where I had seen all the tailing the day before & they were doing it again. Should have gotten something, I reckon! Ne'er mind. Went for a bit of a paddle instead & found some nice cabbage & weed in one of the leases, so then thought ... bugger, didn't bring the blackie gear (could see some stud blackies in & around the lease walls.) Ask & ye shall receive.... found one of those little red/white round floats with a whiting hook on it! So whacked on some cabbage & tossed it out .... got a blackie first cast! Not legal, so put back.

Anyone ..... Where do you get the surecatch poppers at 3 for $10?? Sounds like a bargain! Oh yeah - also found a red/white popper stuck in the lease near the cabbage! Tossed it around a few times, but no hits. So, now I have read 'how to do it' properly .... will try again & only take out the poppers this time ....promise!

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Roberta

Keep at it but I would be fishing weedbeds in the afternoons now as they will hold a bit of the warmth though it could be getting a bit late in the season now for poppers as the water is cooling and the bream will be starting to school up to spawn

I will take one of my remaining poppers in to fishfinder Tony when he gets back from a tournament this weekend and see if he can order a lot in He is pretty good at getting stuff in that is a bit out of the ordinary Ill put a good pic of one of my poppers to show you on this thread sometime this weekend

Thanks for that Iceman - Look forward to the pics! FOUND SOME TODAY!! Now have a good array of colours! Just need the determination to learn the technique .... just like when I was starting out on sps!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta