Trying For A Jewie Off The Beach

Hit the Beach last nite in search of the elusive Jewfish :tease: Jewhunter ,outdoordan and myself had a good supply of squid and blackfish fillets to temp the buggers out of their watery home.

Started off with pillies to try and score a few tailor fillets ,but no luck.

Around 5.30 we had our first squid baits in the water and Grant gets a run and the strike rips the rod into the sand :1yikes: so Grant does what any good beach fisho would do and dives head first into the sand to save his rod :074: .The unseen adversary gave a good account of itself and we thought perhaps school jew.

It turned out to be a pretty good sized eagle ray :thumbdown: promptly released with a few harsh words :1badmood: .

Just after dark I had a tap tap tap on my big strip bait and struck hard and missed the hook up ,so I wacked out the bait straight back to the same spot and the tap,tap ,tap again ,thinking a tailor I strike again and come up tight :yahoo: I think you beauty a tailor for slab bait . I skull drag this poor little fella on the heavy tackle and its a soapie jew :074: poor thing didnt know what hit it with 40lb braid and a 60 lb trace.

Few quick pics and back he went to grow up.Well at least it was a jew of sorts.

post-256-1176828156_thumb.jpg

Grant was having a yak to his missus on the phone and gets a hit and promptly lands a small Hammerhead Shark,few pics and back he goes no worse for wear.

post-256-1176828166_thumb.jpg

post-256-1176828174_thumb.jpg

We had a few more half hearted attempts at stealing our bait ,but that was all she wrote.

Home by 1 .30 am and not a bad night to be outdoors.

Thanks guys for a fun evening and cant wait to get a bit bigger one next time to skite about .

Cheers Stewy

Too bad that you didn't get anything more last night Stewy.

All of the conditions were right for it but it sounds like it just didn't line up for you. :(

At least you were out on the water giving it a good go. :thumbup:

How cold was it out there on the beach?

Doesn't that happen when you target jews?? Use a Bream rod & live worms on the breakwall here & you'll get a big jewie & get skunked!

Go back with a jewie rod & line & live worms & you won't even get a bream!

Better luck next time, guys!!

Cheers

Roberta

Good work lads - nice to see some more Raiders getting out on the beaches to chase jewies. :thumbup:

Stewy - it may have only been a small jewie, but a beach jew is a beach jew!! It's better than I've ever done in my many, many attempts. Getting access to some of Grant's knowledge would be worth the trip alone - I've been hoping to get a peek in on that for some time now!!

Great report guys - bad luck landing a large Jew but good to see a Jew landed as well as a hammerhead.

A little birdy told me that you landed a Flathead (50cm ish) as well - what size did the lizard go ?

Sounds like a good night out with good company allround.

Thanks for the report and pics.

Top report Stewy.

Sorry I couldn't put you guys onto some better fish. I went squidding the morning before & managed 4 calamari, Dan had some fresh blackfish & Stewy had self caught squid as well so the bait was prime. The warm water that brought all those dollies around had pushed onto the beach, hence the small Jew. I fished the same beach the night before & we only managed 3 little fellas. I moved down a bit with Stewy & Dan to try to find bigger fish but it wasn't to be.

So over the 2 nights there was 4 small Jew,a 50cm Flattie, eagle ray, small hammerhead & a pike eel caught. Not the best fishing but at least a little action & no catfish.

I was down for 10 days to put a pool in. I just didn't have the time to catch up or fish with all the people I wanted to.

The next couple of months are prime time for good Jew off the beach so hopefully you all get into a few.

Thanks to Stewy & Dan for a fun night. The fishing was slow but the company was great.

That is the one thing I miss about Sydney, fishing with my mates.

Cheers,

Grant.

nice report Stewy & nice little soapy to boot......... :thumbup:

I've yet to put in a decent Jew session off the Northern Beaches this season...I'm still in the process of setting up a new Beach Jewie rig...... :biggrin2: Mucking around and looking for new gear is always fun....I probably spend more time playing and polishing my fishing gear in the garage than time spent out on the water!!

Cheers,

Spizza