Which Sp Is Working For You

ianoc69

Fishos,

Thought I would put up a post asking what people have found still working regularly at the moment.

I fish alot land based and have found that 6" Sandworms cut in half (either Camo or Natural) are a good alround lure for the regular species - Flathead, Bream, Whiting BUT unfortunately Chopper Tailor also love them.

I have been using 2" Shrimp , Bass Minnows (Pumpkinseed) and Gulp 3" Minnows (Pumpkinseed or Watermelon) as alternative lures.

I seem to be fishing too much Sandworms at the moment and when I rig anything else in my armoury I find that I don't feel as confident.

Am I spending too much time with Sandworms ?

Has anyone found an alternative to Sandworms that has worked regularly for them - with a high success rate on decent sized fish ?

All feedback welcome on this thread.

I tend to pick my SP to where Im fishing At the moment with bait schools hanging around just off the bottom zoom tiny flukes are working while fishing weedbed flats 2in gulp shrimp(molting is my favorite) and over c**klebeds camo worms

I have only recently started using the sandworms and definately see there superiority when the bite is extremely slow or shut down, but other wise i generally just use squidgies and i find that the 55mm wriggler in bloodworm is hard to beat over sand/mud flats, and the black and gold squidgy fish in a slightly larger size also has its place.

Favourite bream lure (at the moment)

Squidgy bugs in casper or bloodworm.

followed closely by Kokoda K grubs.

2" Molting shrimp run a close third! :1prop:

Hey tomahawk, iv recently tried the bugs in bloodworm and i use them as a surface lure, i have had some big hits on the surface but no hook ups as of yet. Was wondering if you use them as a surface lure or with a weighted jig as i have seen some ppl do?

Guest Plastic Fanatic

Favourite bream lure (at the moment)

Squidgy bugs in casper or bloodworm.

followed closely by Kokoda K grubs.

2" Molting shrimp run a close third! :1prop:

Ditto

I have been catching some good bream around the 40cm on Squidgy Bugs in Casper, but I have been fishing them on the smallest ball-head jigs. I wasn't having a lot of luck using them as surface lures and was having more success with the poppas.

2" shrimp is steadily sneaking up into the top 2 lures though! :D

I tend to pick my SP to where Im fishing At the moment with bait schools hanging around just off the bottom zoom tiny flukes are working while fishing weedbed flats 2in gulp shrimp(molting is my favorite) and over c**klebeds camo worms

Good points you make Iceman.

The area you are fishing and matching the SP to suit is a very important consideration - I must be honest and say that I don't generally consider the variation of lures in a range of fishing spots.

This is part of what I need to develop to take the next step in my development as an SP fisho.

Thanks all members who have to date, and will so do in future, for their input and comments.

I still find that SP fishing has many areas that need to be explored in order to increase the hook-up rate and convert more hits into fish. This is something that I feel as though I am far from mastering.

An example - I had a 2 hour morning session around Putney on Tue morning just gone - I had probably 12 great hits (only counting hits that felt like better quality Bream, Whiting and Flathead) during the session BUT only landed 1x 28cm ish bream and 1x 30cmish Bream. I left some quality takes out there.

Need to stop this from occuring.

I'm newish to SP fishing and only discovered through a bit of time spent chucking these things out that the Gulp worms gets lots of bites and have also found chopper tailor love them too. Whiting also pick at the worms and I suspect nip at the tail more (lots of bites but poor hook-up rate).

I'm only now getting more confident using SPs after success with the worm and 2" minnow grub so I'm having a great time using them. If not using Gulps, I will put on a little squidgy wriggler or Berkley or Kokoda grubs.

I've also used the 3" power minnow but have not had success catching bream with them. I think if I fish an area with clear water I will probably put the 3" power minnow on. Fishing west of the harbour bridge and upper Georges River I would use the Gulps more for the scent factor.

If you really want to cover all bases, then there are always hardbodies ...

I have a love/hate relationship with those bloody worms :074:

They always produce bites but rarely produce quality fish, and when they do it probably was not the lure just were it was cast. These are aways the 'last resort' :074:

At the moment favs are squidgy bugs (bloodworm) and wrigglers in gary glitter.

Also i have cut back on my plastic collection of late but have restocked my 'bream pack' which contains BM's in 2" and 3" plus power grubs in 2" all in bloodworm colour.

Also another must is 3" BM's in watermelon and 2" hawgs .

Now i am content

BM

Good points you make Iceman.

The area you are fishing and matching the SP to suit is a very important consideration - I must be honest and say that I don't generally consider the variation of lures in a range of fishing spots.

This is part of what I need to develop to take the next step in my development as an SP fisho.

Thanks all members who have to date, and will so do in future, for their input and comments.

I still find that SP fishing has many areas that need to be explored in order to increase the hook-up rate and convert more hits into fish. This is something that I feel as though I am far from mastering.

An example - I had a 2 hour morning session around Putney on Tue morning just gone - I had probably 12 great hits (only counting hits that felt like better quality Bream, Whiting and Flathead) during the session BUT only landed 1x 28cm ish bream and 1x 30cmish Bream. I left some quality takes out there.

Need to stop this from occuring.

Increasing hook up rates hey,

Three important things to remember are:

1. Hook size: Bream have small mouths for their body size so use #4 for 2" SP's and #2 for 3" SP's

2. Hook Sharpness: Bream have hard bony mouths therefore hooks need to be very sharp, top quality jigs come this way from the packet but most will benifit from a touch up with a sharpening stone. To check for sharpness just drag them across you thumbnail, a sharp hook will dig in with little pressure, a less than sharp hook will not.

3. Slack Line: Bream mostly will pick up a SP while it is laying stationary on the bottom. To enable them to suck it into their mouths you must give them a little bit of slack line. Watch that slack line and if it twiches STRIKE!!. 90% of my bream strikes I have SEEN not felt.

Hope this helps out :biggrin2:

BM

My cousin introduced me to the camos and I have seen the curse that they have put on him as thats all he uses now, but he does catch fish on them. I myself have used these lures and I caught the monster bream in the photo on one. They do get easily picked off by smaller fish and they aren't the cheapest things to buy but they will catch fish!

:1fishing1:

For the past few days (5) I have been trying various SP's and a few HB's in Lake Macquarie and Tuggerah Lake.(Land based). HB's didn't do well, not even SX40's, grubs no good but squidgie shad 3" were chewed, bitten, swallowed, spat, but I just couldn't land a legal sized bream or flathead on one ! Ugh. Then again no one near got anything on bait either...fussy fish ?? Lots of bait fish and undersize but nothing legal...ugh.

Cheers

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

would SP be any good of the beach say down at Narrabeen on Nrth Beaches, if so which ones are worth looking at

I would try gulp sandworms for bream and whiting or 80-100mm squidgy fish for salmon and tailor but the tailor might make a mess of them