Woolies At Narrabeen

Guest bluecod

Guest bluecod

My eldest boy went down to Mona Vale for a surf today and on the way back home stopped off at Narra Lake for a bit of a fish near Woolworth's - he managed a couple of small bream and one flatty[released] and a 35cm whiting destined for his mother's breakfast, her favourite eating fish so at least he's in the good books!:wub:

He also mentioned that he saw a number of good flathead [50 to 60 cm] caught in close proximity to where he was fishing - the 60cm job being caught by a bloke in a canoe fitted with two outriggers.

Good size Whiting

On Friday afternoon I was down at Narrabeen bait and Tackle admiring some new photos of large flathead 50cm odd. They were caught on SP the day earlier (Thursday) late afternoon at the bridge Woolworth’s side. It seem the lake is starting to fire up and the flathead are on the prowl.

Guest johblow

I was at the woolies bridge sat AM until about 9, and managed two flatties, a bream and a leatherjacket. First time i've fished that spot, and really enjoyed it. I was using yabbies that i had pumped at maianbar in anticipation of a boat trip on the harbour, but my mate (with the boat) pulled the pin due to the wind forecast. Anyhow, yabbies go quick so its never boring when using them!

Saw a bloke fishing off the birdge for poddys, and a few boats cruising around. The boats didnt get anything as far as i saw - they arrived too late.

Really enjoyed reading Kens article this morning after fishing there on the weekend. Great work!

Guest bluecod

Mitch and Narra,

Being a typical 18 yo he didn't stray far from the carpark. He fished both sides of the island and in the gutter between the island and the carpark. Not much effort put in but he got the bait right - live beach worms, though at $1.30 each he should learn how to catch them himself. You probably saw him down there Mitch - Eurasian kid about 6'2" in white boardshorts and by the look of his burn - no shirt or just singlet.

Wife reports the whiting was great on the plate.

Bung - your mates flattie is a ripper! On closer look, what was he using for a lure? The sleeve off his shirt :1prop:

Edited by bluecod

G'day Fella's,

I christened my new canoe and electric with a :1fishing1: 62cm lizard from up the back of the lake right on dark last night, it took a slow trolled Ecogear SX40, I was lucky to land it in the end...couldn't see a bloody thing, must have had four or five shots :bash: trying to get it in the net...I was lucky the 6lb leader held up and that I was able to retreive the lure that was way down the back of his gob before release....barbless hooks helped me and the fish :thumbup:

That 92cm flattie is a corker for the lake, nice to here people are getting a few fish out of the lake lately.

Lizard

• Like 1

Well done Lizardboy,

that is a good fish for the lake and well done on getting in the new canoe, do you get in the creeks up there at all? Some good popper action there a week ago, I think I talked to you b4 about EPs up there as well, was that you? ANyhow nice lizard....Lizard.

That lizard of Bung's if the biggest Iv'e seen pulled out of there, great fish. Just curious Bung, did he take the fish home or release it??

When I was in high school I had a mate who lived on the lake about 6 houses on the north west from the bridge. I remember walking along the backyards along the water and some of the old wooden fences had had flathead heads (funny sentence) nailed to them in the past. Mostly there were just 3 nails in a triangle, some had wispy white strings of cartledge on them.

Anyway some of the 'triangles' were truly massive. It was a long time ago but probably in the vacintity of 12 inches across the head.

One night we were having a BBQ out the back there and I was ankle deep in the water looking at the bridge. I heard a little splash at my feet and looked down to see a great dirty beast of an octopus about to ensnare my foot.

Scared the s*%t out of me.

Lake has been so abusseed for so many years but it just keeps on giving - amazing!

Good onya Bung, and to your mate too, that is a true fisho :1clap::thumbup::thumbup:

Spanker, my son caught a squid there 2 summers ago, not huge, maybe 40cms long head to tentacle, we were surprised as well, let it swim off. Youre right, the lake has copped some abuse in the past, but to its credit, it is a great fish nursery and holds some good fish as seen by everyone, esp lately in that moster lizard caught by Bung's mate. If we all look after it, it will be here for alot longer.

I had a look at the lake at the bridge for the first time in a few years about a month ago. I was shocked at how much it has changed. The topographics of the shoreline and bottom were really different, also the water was no where near as clear.

Probably this is just cyclical. Actually I tell a lie, I fished the south east side of the bridge with my brother about 20 months ago. The edge of the water in front of woollies. The water was chockers, and I mean absolutely boiling, with small mullet, bream, tailor and drummer. We were throwing bread out and the shallows were just swarming. Great sign of lake being as you said a nursery.

• 3 weeks later...
:1prop: just for others on this site-Bung and Chris are rated in "the better fisho"class in my view--these guys get fish that rate big time in anyones books---and to add to their prestige they snag em off the rocks------- :risata: ---------hey Bung-told these boys here about the kings you snag at South west rocks yet??????-youd make a few here dribble from the mouth big time!!!!!-----ha---------just dont tell them all about our secret jew spot or I'll just have to come back down to sydney and fill in the rod holeswith cement!!!!!!!-ok---------- :1yikes:

:1prop: i put in about 12 over 30 years-so looks like its your turn!!!!!-Ha----G :1fishing1: -ps-feb is the best month-through to june-low tide on the dark-with a big hunk of nice fresh occi onboard-------or chuk out a live sweep------caught in the gutter-20kg plus love em------i rate squid as 3rd best-----enough said--------- :1tongue:

Yeah no kings in big numbers have shown up on the central coast rocks yet. although ive had some hookups that just find reef to easy thats it. i might try a live sweep i never use them but i will now.

22431[/snapback]

:1yikes: -occi and sweep are for jew-not kings :1prop: