Browns 19/04/07 Marlin 1 Whitecaps 0

Markwi

Lauched at Oatlet at We meet up with Reel Addiction to get some livies in the Bay before heading off to Browns at around 7.00am conditions were very good, after a relatively quick trip to Browns we put out a 4 lure spread, the whole way out to Browns we did not spot any bait on the surface or on the sounder. We did several laps around Browns with no results.

I decided to head out past Browns, at around 12km east of Browns just over the 500 fathom line we head south water temp is constant 21.7c. We finally had some luck with a Marlin climbing all over our short rigger , We accelerated the boat and the fish switched across to the long rigger came up behind and smack he came flying out the water which provided an fantastic view of the size of the fish, line screamed from the reel which was empting at an alarming rate then nothing, spat the lure. I called it for a blue well over 100kg but I am no expert, I have caught blacks and striped marlin before but this would have been the first for the Barcrusher oh well next time.

We did not have another touch all day we did see one free jump right on the shelf and we only saw bait when we were within 3km from Botany heads and sauries were jumping .

The wrap up from the day was the lure that ended up being hit was one I had rigged sometime ago using a copper alloy crimp but I had not selected the correct diameter on the crimping pliers and compressed it to much but also I didn’t crimp it correctly “picture attached”, I checked all my other lures and they are ok, I hate tackle failure because of things like this, especially when my sons can blame me for the lost Marlin.

Anyway I know my lure spread worked.

post-2845-1177059932_thumb.jpg

post-2845-1177059944_thumb.jpg

Bad luck on the Marlin Whitecaps, but hey, you were out & after drooling over your boat several hours I think you must have been happy to atleast have had a touch of hope in her on the Marlin front. Won't be too long & I'm sure you'll nail one.

Gotta love that veiw from the helm!

Guest Salmon Master

all the money for fuel and time spent to get that marlin hit........................and it comes down to your crimping failure................................................must hurt

Hi Mark i was out with Iain last Sunday , Im heading out tommorrow for run will put in some big hours chasing a blue or maybe some tuna bicatch, fingers crossed. A Blue will definately test out my rigging tecniques. Bad luck on your loss. If by chance your out there tommorrow give me a yell buddy ill be monitoring VHF. Cheers Dave

sorry to hear whitecas of your loss .

im heading out there dave with oz and downrigger , might see you there mate.

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR LOSS.

AFTER ALL THE MONEY, FUEL AND TIME YOU SPEND, TO HAVE A CRIMP BREAK IS HEART BREAKING.

I HOPE BY MONDAY I WILL ABLE TO READ ABOUT SOME GOOD MARLIN CATCHES.

TIGHT LINES WINCH.