Browns Mountain 21/4/07

mako1

Dad and I made a trip out to Browns today to hopefully get into some early tuna or even a marlin.It felt great being on the boat again after not being able to go out due to work for the last 2.5 months.

We tried for livies in botany but they wouldn't bite so we headed straight out to browns.At the shelf I put in two swim baits,two skip baits and a jet head.Picked up a 1.5kg stripped tuna straight away which I kept for bait.

Half way between the shelf and browns I noticed an electric blue colour in the water next to the engine.I got up and took a closer look and realised it was a stripped marlin between 70-80kg.I couldn't believe it was sitting about 60cm to the left of the prop.How I wished I had a livie.All the baits were still in so I waited to see what it would do.It slowly eased back from the boat before it went deep.About 1min later the rod with the 1.5kg swimming mullet on it goes off.I grabbed the rod and struck.The marlin took about 100m before it started to come back at the boat and just behind the boat It spat the bait.I could't believe it.I checked the bait,it was a little squashed but still swimming so I put it back in but the marlin never came back.I think I struck to early and didn't hook it properly,I should have let it swallow the bait abit longer.We continued to troll but didn't get a hit.Before cubing we decided to have a bottom bash.The current was running and the wind was up abit so the fishing was difficult.The first few drops produced two gemfish and a lost rig and sinker.The next few drops the bait were getting taken but I couldn't feel the bites.The currents were strange.

On the top of browns the water was calm and running south but just south of the mountain there were waves breaking.It was like a north and south current were meeting creating turbulance.

There were no signs of surface activity except for the large pods of dolphins so we continued to bottom bash.

We motered over to our mark and sent the rig down.The bait was down for five minutes when dad gets a little bump,he strikes and gets connected to a good fish.I struggled to get the fish of the bottom but managed to ease it up.Dad took over at the half way and finally it surfaced and we shouted with joy as we hauled in an 18.5kg blue eye the biggest one we've caught to date.

post-2229-1177159327_thumb.jpg

While bringing the fish in the boat a large squid fell out of its mouth.

I cut the squid into big sections and motored back to the mark and sent the rig down.I got a bite straight away and hooked up to another good fish.This one gave a good fight all the way to the surface.It wasn't quite as big as the first but still a top fish.It came in at 15kg.

post-2229-1177159341_thumb.jpg

We decided to give the tuna a miss as it looked like the surface was quiet and have one last drop before heading home.Again the large squid pieces went down and straight away I got a bite and hooked up again to a good fish.This fish also fought all the way to the top and we worked up a sweat pulling it in.It was another good blue eye at 12kg.

We were stuffed after doing so many drops and the sea and wind had calmed down so we headed for home.

After a slow start bottom bashing and loosing a marlin it turned out to be an excellent day with heaps of quality fish to eat.

The 12kg fish

post-2229-1177162494_thumb.jpg

Some more pics

The squid from the first blue eye used to catch the others

post-2229-1177163210_thumb.jpg

The whole catch

post-2229-1177162990_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dave.

It's a shame you couldn't raise a marlin,

but as you said it was a nice day on the water.

There didn't seem to be any bait around,just

heaps of dolphins.

We found the marlin in a patch of colder water

between the shelf and browns.

Edited by Mako

Great work on the Blue eye Mako great to eat. Unlucky on the Marlin though at least you got some action, you could have put that nice little striped tuna out.

Out of curiosity what weight were you using to get to the bottom.

Nice catch Mako

Blue eye are a top table fish

cut into steaks leave skin on

season & seal both sides of steak

in frypan with butter and olive oil

then sprinkle with lemon zest, cover

and oven bake at 120*C in a pre

heated oven 15-20 mins mmmmm

Chris

Excellent fish Mako!

It was a great day to be on the water. I am hoping to get out there soon. Never been that far so I will need to get the confidence up prior to venturing out.

Do the blue eye taste good?

Blue eye are an excellent eating fish and they fetch a high price at the market too.

I simply just dusted the thin blue eye steaks with seasoned flour and pan fried them :drool:

The flesh is very versatile as can be cooked a number of ways.

Great work on the Blue eye Mako great to eat. Unlucky on the Marlin though at least you got some action, you could have put that nice little striped tuna out.

Out of curiosity what weight were you using to get to the bottom.

I didn't put the striped tuna out live because we wanted to cover more ground trolling baits and it was dead by the time the marlin turned up.

I used a 2kg sinker but that only just made it to the bottom due to the current.I forgot the larger sinkers so I just taped two 1kg sinkers together.I think 3kg sinkers would have been better.

Well done Mako - what a catch! Great pics.

My neighbour, Rob, was out with his brother-in-law yesterday at Browns Mountain as well and caught 3 blue eyes - one was as big as my 7 year old.

Were there many boats out with you?

Cheers Marg

Hey guys just curious, what would the minimum depth be out at Browns? :1prop::tease::wacko:

I fish afew marks at browns ranging from just over 400m to 600m

only 400 metres.. :1prop:

good work on the cod, i heard they taste fantastic.

Do you use a winch or rod to get down there?

I use an alvey reef queen.It's alot harder to fish with a rod and reel.

Well done Mako - what a catch! Great pics.

My neighbour, Rob, was out with his brother-in-law yesterday at Browns Mountain as well and caught 3 blue eyes - one was as big as my 7 year old.

Were there many boats out with you?

Cheers Marg

There was about 7 boats at browns.3 large ones and the rest trailer boats.Saw afew boats bottom fishing.

What size boat was he on?.Sounds like he got some good fish too.Any pics?

Nice fish mate, is this the time of the year you normally get them or are they around all year. There seems to be a few around i saw 2 very good sized blue eye frames at dolans bay boat ramp

They are there all year around,the only problem is getting to them due to the current.

That's why alot more are caught during the cooler months because there is alot less current,sometimes no current at all.

Another problem is the gemfish,they can plague the mountain at times and you just can't get to the other fish.Not that they are a big problem as they are really good eating too.

Another fish that I'd like to get connected to is one of the monster bass grouper that live near the mountain,

now that would be a great fight.

• 2 weeks later...

There was about 7 boats at browns.3 large ones and the rest trailer boats.Saw afew boats bottom fishing.

What size boat was he on?.Sounds like he got some good fish too.Any pics?

HERE'S MY NEIGHBOUR - they were driving an inboard and I think there might have been about 3 on board.