Botany Schoolies

keenist

Managed a good session on Mulloway yesterday morning in the Bay. Landed 3 from 5 hookups - all schoolies but 1 that pulled 10 or so metres of 40lb braid of locked drag from my OH jig stick (Shimano Trinidad / Saltiga PE4 Coastal). That fish proceeded to spit the hook, or it pulled, not too sure. What I am sure about is that all fish hooked on mono were landed, and both hooked on braid were lost..

I am begining to lose faith in braid for live-baiting for jew.

Notably the runs were very tentative and all fish caught on live herring or yellowtail (frozen squid were munched at, but no serious takes).

Anyway, here's a pic. I was lone soldier, so no real size comparator but the spin stick...

post-219-1177335202_thumb.jpg

Edited by keenist

Great stuff mate!!!

Top stuff for a solo effort! I tend to go solo a fair bit, its relaxing and theres no one to break your b***s.

I go to botany most weeks and ive never mananged to land a jewie..must be doing something wrong..it WILL come!

DAN

Edited by Luringbream

Dont give up on the braid just yet. I have stopped using it with bread and butter species ( bait ) but find its diameter invaluble whilst lure fishing. From what you have told us i would say you should back off your drag a fair bit. There is no need to fish your braid to its maximum but know that it is there if you need it.

Great stuff mate!!!

Top stuff for a solo effort! I tend to go solo a fair bit, its relaxing and theres no one to break your b***s.

I go to botany most weeks and ive never mananged to land a jewie..must be doing something wrong..it WILL come!

DAN

its bloody great to hear you catching jewfish in the botany, i have just about givien up on them.

i will have to start trying again.

good work on the jewies.

Nice session Keenist. :thumbup:

Sometimes they are just in that mood to chew & spit everything.

Did you throw any plastics around? We've done well on plastics & lures in the rivers this time of year. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Yeah, I have had varying success on lures. Most commonly I experience a thousand casts between fish. So what lures/retrieve techniques you use to good effect?

Dont give up on the braid just yet. I have stopped using it with bread and butter species ( bait ) but find its diameter invaluble whilst lure fishing. From what you have told us i would say you should back off your drag a fair bit. There is no need to fish your braid to its maximum but know that it is there if you need it.

Haven't given up on braid for spinning, I am thinking only for live baiting for jew.

Well done keenist,

I got a similar one on sunday.

GOOD TO SEE THEY ARE TURNING UP IN NUMBERS ALL OVER THE PLACE.

I only fish mono and usually about ten kg with 15 kg leader. Good enough most of the time although had a few that were unstoppable.

Cheers

Yeah, I have had varying success on lures. Most commonly I experience a thousand casts between fish. So what lures/retrieve techniques you use to good effect?

i love gulps and have a decent selection , try a few

if drifting in a boat , i've found casting towards your drift,let it sink and slow reel in until you hit bottom,

then a couple of flicks , let it sink again and repeat until it's by the boat

similar , off the breakwalls , but i don't reel in until i feel bottom then as above

Managed a good session on Mulloway yesterday morning in the Bay. Landed 3 from 5 hookups - all schoolies but 1 that pulled 10 or so metres of 40lb braid of locked drag from my OH jig stick (Shimano Trinidad / Saltiga PE4 Coastal). That fish proceeded to spit the hook, or it pulled, not too sure. What I am sure about is that all fish hooked on mono were landed, and both hooked on braid were lost..

Notably the runs were very tentative and all fish caught on live herring or yellowtail (frozen squid were munched at, but no serious takes).

Anyway, here's a pic. I was lone soldier, so no real size comparator but the spin stick...

Hi mate I am agreeing with you on the braid and the jew. This year I have lost more and hooked less after using braid. I have found that good mono like siglon is the best. I have reduced my captures by 1/5th at least. Jew feel weird when hooked on 30 pound braid - but feel nice and comfortable when fishing 16 pound mono.

hi guys i was just wondering if you are talking straight braid to the hook, or are you fishing braid with a reasonable lenght of mono leader? i would like to know as im chasing jews tonight and have a reel i was goin to use with braid on it, i may have to reconsider the tackle i take if this is true.

Beautiful Jewie there matey.... nice rod too. I have a few of those.

you definately need around a rods length of leader tied to your braid either through a preffered joining method for plastics (uni-to-uni, albright etc) or join it with a swivel.

reason being is that you still need some sort of shock absorption for when the fish makes that first hard hit or else your rig will be snapped off, the fish will also be able to rub you off or bite through your line easier with no abrasion resistance.

never ever ever ever tie braid straight to your hook

CFD

i always run a leader of around 1-2 mtrs, i was wondering why exactly the jewies are lost on braid? maybe the drag settings are incorrect?

cheers.

With braid, I find that running a length of mono tied to the mainline, then attaching that to your terminal rig works best for abrasion resistance and shock absorbtion.

For example,

Mainline - braid of your choice, doubled using a 60 turn bimini twist, tied via a 15-25 turn albright to 2-3m of 50-60lb (as you would if spinning with lures.) Now attach running sinker, or loop to sinker setup, tie to swivel/ring stopper and 40-50lb leader to hook(s).

Done this way you have at least 5m or so of shock mono at the end of your rig offering obvious advantages.

This works well for slow trolling kingies (beef up trace yo 80-100lb), but I think for Jew Live Baiting, Mono is best...