I Know Where The Blackies Are .....

arpie

Hi guys

Just got back a while ago from hitting the rocks - I got 3 nice blackies (35 - 40cm) & my buddy got 6. I would have had more, but my Gamagatsu hook almost straightened!! I re-bent it a few times only to have it happen again, twice more!! Bugger - and all 3 lost were real big ones!! They were well hooked, just the hook slid off!

The middle one was a real fat one & the missed ones would have been bigger, given the pull in them! Great to get back into a decent blackie!!

We were using the cabbage off the rocks, but the swell was fairly big so didn't hang round too long. Lost a bit of tackle when a bigger wave swept over the rock - a new roll of Platypus 12lb & a nearly full roll of Berkley Vanish 14lB!!! The platypus was mine, the Vanish was my buddy's, so have just visited the tackle shop to replace his roll for him!! That made my 3 fish very expensive!!

Cheers for now - starting to gear up for the Social at the Entrance!!! Not sure what to bring, so will probably bring it all!!

Roberta

Photos to come

PS Also reports of some nice tailor on Seven Mile.

Edited by Roberta

Well done Roberta,

3 blackies in a session is nothing to be sneezed at. :thumbup:

A shame about the lost gear and the equipment failure though - bugger.

I too am trying to organise my gear for The Entrance social. :thumbup:

Hi Roberta,

Good to hear ya got stuck into the blackfish. Must be because all the tourists have gone home lol.

Watch out on the rocks and keep fishing safe. I once had a scary experience fishing off rocks at warriewood and decided a boat was better. Then had a boating accident. Lucky for me i love fishing so got back in the tinnie but decided rocks were too much for this little fish.

Cheers Zenman

Hi Zenman

I had already gathered my cabbage & was heading for home (due to the waves & being on my own) when I came upon a just arrived aquantance (now a buddy) who I know loves his b/f from the rocks there. I figured, safety in numbers & so took the opportunity to go back with him & learnt soooo much in just over 1hr fishing! First time I had fished for b/f from 'real rocks' as against the breakwall here. Exciting stuff & fish sizes you can only marvel at. And the season hasn't really started yet. I seriously thought my 40cm one was bigger than my 45cm in Nov! Not so, tho! One day I will go out in my Hobie Sport & give it a go for b/f from it - I reckon it would be awesome .... when the swell dies down a bit! The blackies are there anyway!

The swell wasn't so huge - just persistent. The one wave that took the lines was of no danger to us .... could have swept the fish away, tho!

I, too, have had the odd 'fright' on the rocks, so treat them with caution, hence being on the way home, as I was on my own! I remember turning around & hugging the rock once, after seeing a big wave approach ... luckily, the spot I was in has another big rock in front which took the brunt of the wave & I got the left over. Still very sobering. I really must invest in a pair of those rock spike shoes - the ones that have the rubber covered spikes. The zip up diving booties I have are just not good enough.

Many thanks for the wise words, tho!! Will bring some of the cabbage with me to The Entrance .... are there any rocks around??

Cheers

Roberta

nice blackies there roberta, good to see some common sense in regards to fishing the stones and not risking it alone. dont go catching all of em though, leave some for me when i come up for the social.do you think those ones that straightened your hooks were big pigs [drummer] i know when i used to fish alot from the stones we quickly learnt to use xx hooks as when those big pigs move in the standard hooks were not strong enough.many a ooh ahh and bugger from those big brutes and occasional thought of a swim after a fav float :074: .. cheers steve..

Hi Steve

I promise i won't catch them all .... they won't be in the 'fishing zone' for the social, unfortunately - however, the top end of both breakwall should be fishing very well once they start coming in from the sea!!

Most folk here don't start fishing for blackies till after Anzac Day, so I assume from here on in, it will be 'First in, Best dressed' for the more popular spots!

Re The ones that straightened the hook - I think they were still blackies - they didn't head for the rocks!! Whenever I've hooked a drummer, they've immediately headed for the rocks & wedge themselves in!

Mustad used to have some great xx 8260 hooks - but you can't buy them any more!

Gee it was fun, even tho for such a short fishing time. It was a rising tide with a strong southerly causing bigger than normal swells. Just think - if my newfound buddy hadn't turned up, I would have left the scene in blissful ignorance, apart from being happy with having found some nice long cabbage!

Just been out to gather some 'weed weed' in the hope of getting into a couple at the Entrance. Pretty scrappy looking stuff,tho!

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

i know what you mean about those dirty tactics the big pigs use. i had a mate who cut the tip off his beach rod and used to use min 20lb and more at times and he nearly got dragged in when locked up to a big one on more than one occasion,never give them one inch he said and he got some real nice brutes.

the blackfish should be starting to head in to school up very shortly so hopefully the weed situation will improve and you can get stuck into a few.keep us posted as i love seeing reports of my fav fish especially if for some reason i cannot get out there amongst them.. were abit spoilt here in sydney and usually monavale provides enough or even a trip up parra river. all i need now is for the weather to get better and i might start to target them now,was delayed by kingy fever :1prop: , but now they have thinned out its luderick time..

i think those mustards were prob the ones we used 20 yrs ago,we had to get the guy at blacktown to get them in for us as they were hard to get along with the porcupine quill floats, now you get plastic ones and all sorts.prob as fishing for blackfish is more popular now,nobody new what they were when we were catching them as a kid in syd harbour,felt like a broken record at times explaining over and over again about them..

keep up the great posts... steve...

Edited by roosterman

HI ROBERTA, It is great to see you catching Blackfish. Be careful on those Rocks. NO FISH can replace .......... :unsure: Check out those TRAWLERS. Some BIG Blackfish in our Fish Shops at the moment. Good Fishing. See Ya SATURDAY at THE ENTRANCE. BART :1clap::1clap::1clap:

Hey guys

If you love your blackie fishing, come on up to Forster for the Inaugural Blackie Social on the first weekend in June!!! The more the merrier - just bring your own weed - ours is a bit thin on the ground just now!

See ya

Roberta

Had a go yesterday, but it was a real 'low' low. Must try again tomorrow (same spot) if there is not too much swell. Full Moon = Big Highs & Low Lows