Ross Hunter And The Swordfisherman

I had the great pleasure of fishing with the legendary Ross Hunter today on the Georges River for Blackfish.

The plans were made during the latter part of last week to have a fish together for one of our favourite fish,the luderick (blackfish).

We met at the car park at 1 pm for our sojourn to our previous Social spot at Lambeth Park.

I had arrived a little early as I was very excited to be fishing with Ross after our Marlin expedition in late March.

I walked onto the beach and saw a gentleman landing a fine blackie ,quick call on the mob to Ross and he says has this guy got grey hair and a little older than us :biggrin2: I said yes but cant really tell because he has a wet weather jacket on.

Ross arrives and we make our way to this fella and it is one of Ross's mate Norm :thumbup: unreal!!!!.

We left Norm to his spot on the beach and headed for the walkway.

The tide was due to start running out at around 3.20 pm and I was pretty confident we would score.

Right on cue with the burley going in nicely Ross had his first down of the day and landed a nice plump blackfish :yahoo: We spent the next 2 hours chatting and laughing together and scoring some very reasonable blackfish and even a double hook up which I wanted to get a picture of but it was all hands on deck as the bite continued.

We landed in excess of a dozen nice fish and kept 3 for the table which Ross promptly cleaned at the waters edge before we left.

Thanks Ross for a fantastic few hours and you are a true gentleman of the sport :thumbup:

We have already made plans for future trips after the blackfish and I for one cant wait to go head to head with Ross on the long rods mated with the alveys and floats.

Here are a few pics of the days catch and the smile on Ross's face says it all.

post-256-1177414250_thumb.jpg

post-256-1177414274_thumb.jpg

post-256-1177414291_thumb.jpg

post-256-1177414312_thumb.jpg

post-256-1177414330_thumb.jpg

post-256-1177414352_thumb.jpg

Cheers Swordfisherman

Well done guys - the last 6+ efforts for me here in Forster have been very disappointing, till I hit the rocks today with a buddy!!! They are on the headlands, bigtime!

Start storing up your weed for Forster in June!!! They are supposed to come on after Anzac Day!!

Cant wait - so much easier from the breakwall!!

Cheers

Roberta

Well done guys - the last 6+ efforts for me here in Forster have been very disappointing, till I hit the rocks today with a buddy!!! They are on the headlands, bigtime!

Start storing up your weed for Forster in June!!! They are supposed to come on after Anzac Day!!

Cant wait - so much easier from the breakwall!!

Cheers

Roberta

WELL DONE ROSS AND STEWY. PLEASE BRING BACK MARLIN RAMPAGE i NEVER LAUGHED SO MUCH...WINCH

good to see the blackies around, is this an early appearance for them?

p.s love the plates

They are around now and will increase in numbers over the next few weeks /months :yahoo:

I love fishing for Blackfish as it is very rewarding and relaxing.

Cheers Stewy

Just as a true muso plays and loves many instruments. A true fisho just loves to fish. no matter if they are big or small, good on both of you, you are true fisho's.

Southerly

I was thinking the exact same thing.......good work

how long a trace under the float I wonder?.......I know there are a lot of those fish near me

I was thinking the exact same thing.......good work

how long a trace under the float I wonder?.......I know there are a lot of those fish near me

I was using around 60 cms and Ross was using around 70 cms .

Both 6lb traces ,Ross was using 12 lb mono and Mr Sporting me using 35 lb floating braid :074:

The Braid is great as in it floats and easy to mend in the wind and you get quick striking power because of the very low stretch. Beats mono any day.

Cheers Stewy

Ross was using 12 lb mono and Mr Sporting me using 35 lb floating braid :074:

35lb braid for blackies! What is the world coming to?

I will up you and use 50lb braid for Mullet, they are vicious those mullet.

LOL

Southerly

Morning all,

I just love the stripes on a blackfish, they get me going every time. Nice work as they look in very good health those fish!

Is the weed hard to get hold of? I ask this as I'm almost 40 now and used to go blackfishing with dad all the time around the harbour and in the Hawkesbury. Dad used to always get hold of the weed as he was on the road all the time. Unfortunately the old mans passed away some 16yrs ago. I'm real keen to get back into the blackfising as I've got 3 growing boys of my own now, I've still got all of dads gear, but just don't have a clue as to where you can source good weed anymore. Any suggestions????

I'll have to get my ass into gear and get along to the annual social won't I.

Love ya work,

Cheers Jed.

Morning all,

I just love the stripes on a blackfish, they get me going every time. Nice work as they look in very good health those fish!

Is the weed hard to get hold of? I ask this as I'm almost 40 now and used to go blackfishing with dad all the time around the harbour and in the Hawkesbury. Dad used to always get hold of the weed as he was on the road all the time. Unfortunately the old mans passed away some 16yrs ago. I'm real keen to get back into the blackfising as I've got 3 growing boys of my own now, I've still got all of dads gear, but just don't have a clue as to where you can source good weed anymore. Any suggestions????

I'll have to get my ass into gear and get along to the annual social won't I.

Love ya work,

Cheers Jed.

Jed ,the weed is really tough to find atm and we struggled to get some as well.This time of year the weed is near drains and rockwalls in creeks and is very hard to find.

Wack your name down for the Forster Social and we will get you onto some blackfish for sure :biggrin2:

If you want a hit at them in the Georges ? send me a PM with your details and we will organise a day out .

Cheers Stewy

Id be up for that as well Stewy , we had agreat time last time we went out !

Ross

Anytime Ross :biggrin2: always a fun day out together :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

Stewy,

Just had a look at the Foster weekend, sounds pretty good to me. I'll need to get an updated roster off the boss as I'm a 7 day shift worker with Optus and I've only got up to next week, so I've got no idea how June pans out yet. But rest assured I'll be onto it on Monday.

I gather you fished the top of the tide the other day, is that correct? We used to fish at jewie bay, in cowan creek, years ago on the bottom of the tide. Used to get a nice bag of them down there.

Cheers Jed.

Stewy,

Just had a look at the Foster weekend, sounds pretty good to me. I'll need to get an updated roster off the boss as I'm a 7 day shift worker with Optus and I've only got up to next week, so I've got no idea how June pans out yet. But rest assured I'll be onto it on Monday.

I gather you fished the top of the tide the other day, is that correct? We used to fish at jewie bay, in cowan creek, years ago on the bottom of the tide. Used to get a nice bag of them down there.

Cheers Jed.

Hope you can get up to Forster Jed as this is shaping up to be a great weekend away.

You are correct ,the top of the tide and the runout are the best times to fish at the walkway.

We noticed yesterday that when the tide started to eddy and the floats stayed right in front of us the hits became much more frequent. We were fishing around 7 feet deep and 10 feet out from the walkway.

The beach at the park can be fished on the run in as well .Norm scored a nice feed from there as well on that incoming tide.

Cheers Stewy

Hope you can get up to Forster Jed as this is shaping up to be a great weekend away.

You are correct ,the top of the tide and the runout are the best times to fish at the walkway.

We noticed yesterday that when the tide started to eddy and the floats stayed right in front of us the hits became much more frequent. We were fishing around 7 feet deep and 10 feet out from the walkway.

The beach at the park can be fished on the run in as well .Norm scored a nice feed from there as well on that incoming tide.

Cheers Stewy

Another quick one if you don't mind1 What's the time difference with the tides that far up the Georges?

Another quick one if you don't mind1 What's the time difference with the tides that far up the Georges?

2 hours 30 mins approx :biggrin2:

Stewy,

You are a champ. and have been very kind to your fishing partner in the report ( Stew out fished me 2 to 1) We did have a great time even in the pouring rain and I cannot wait to get at them again. Have a great weekend at The Entrance and I will look out for good reports

Thanks again for a great afternoon on the blackies.

Roscoe

Stewy,

You are a champ. and have been very kind to your fishing partner in the report ( Stew out fished me 2 to 1) We did have a great time even in the pouring rain and I cannot wait to get at them again. Have a great weekend at The Entrance and I will look out for good reports

Thanks again for a great afternoon on the blackies.

Roscoe

Dont you worry Raiders, Ross is the one being a little generous :tease: This fellow can catch fish in the "PISSPOT" under the bed :074:

Ross tells me he has a few nice possies to show me in the river and we will take the Polycraft this time :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Dont you worry Raiders, Ross is the one being a little generous :tease: This fellow can catch fish in the "PISSPOT" under the bed :074:

Ross tells me he has a few nice possies to show me in the river and we will take the Polycraft this time :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

HI stewie, Reading your reports on the Blackfish. Good onya mate . Will see you on Saturday and will have some spare weed with me.As BIG KEV would say, I'M EXITED! :1clap::thumbup:

HI stewie, Reading your reports on the Blackfish. Good onya mate . Will see you on Saturday and will have some spare weed with me.As BIG KEV would say, I'M EXITED! :1clap::thumbup:

LOOKSSSSSSSSS fot Bart and cant see him in the distance at all :( what happened to you mate ????

Cheers Stewy

LOOKSSSSSSSSS fot Bart and cant see him in the distance at all :( what happened to you mate ????

Cheers Stewy

G`DAY STEWY, Called to Villa 5 on Saturday morning. Note on window said you guys were out fishing. 6to3. Was not feeling 100% but tried for Blackfish for a couple of hours with no result. Tried beach on Sunday morning,some good gutters further up , however went back to house to recuperate. (not a hangover). Tried your number as per note but engaged. Will catch up and meet you soon (booked in at FORSTER) if not before. Good to see all at THE ENTRANCE SOCIAL had a great time,especially the KIDS. CHEERS BART. :thumbup: