Blackfish

labrador

Hi Raiders,

I am not sure whether I am doing the right thing here, but I thought I'll give it a go on my first post. This is it, after i get my cabbage from the wharf, I had a yarn with this guy fishing for blackfish and he is very persistent on telling me that the best time to get them (blackfish) is on the run in tide. I did not argue with him because he seems to know what he is talking about (in a way). I said to myself I will ask the Raiders what's their thought on this, I know for a fact ( I have been visiting this site for a while now) that you, Raiders are awesome bunch and know your fishing.

By the way, after I left him and did my fishing I caught 2 nice ones and lost one on the run out tide.

So Raiders, I like to know your thought on this.

Cheers,

Scout

PS. Pardon my grammar, English is not my first language.

Hey Scout :1welcomeani: Its always good getting more members! I havnt fished for blackies yet so i am of no use to you but im sure you will get the info you need! One of the best ways to learn is asking the older experienced guys around where you fish as they have generally been doing it for a while... Good luck with it mate and let us know how you go!

By the way your grammar seems to be perfect!

g,day Scout..

listen mate im no expert but i do alot of black fishing in the georges.. i have baged out both run in and out, when they are hot 'there on'.. but in saying this the days were they seem to be a bit picky i like couple hours before and after dead low.. other raiders may other ideas.. all i can say is dont give it away straight away if you dont hook up try different places, tides, weed etc.. there is a art to this type of fishing but once ya got it its an awesome little fish to catch...

cheers livebait!! :1fishing1:

This is entirely dependant on the spot some fish better on the run in some better on the run out.

The Georges River runs very hard, that is why it is better at the end of the tides, but it can fish very well all tide if they are small runs.

Cheers

Kingpig

G`day Fellas ,

Rule of Thumb For me was , Generally 2 hours before and after High Tide , with 99% of the time , unless there was some sort of Flow , the Fish would not bite..

Having said that , I know a few spots that will only produce fish on the Dead low , and a strange occurence at these holes was , that instead of the the float dipping down , it often bobbed upwards .

I used to think it was because I was fishing too deep , but the same thing happened when I adjusted the Depth.

The result was mostly always the same though , Give them time to take the bait and strike , and bingo Game on!.

Ya just gotta keep at it , And develop your own skills and adaptations .

Walk along any " active Breakwall " , and you will see as many varied Techniques as you see Rigs .

Just Pinch whichever system works best for you .

Mick

I think I can talk with some authority on this subject. There are no hard and fast rules as to which tides to fish for blackfish - it is very dependant on the spot. Like all fishing you need to think like a fish. Why would fish be in any location at any one time? for a feed!! If the run in at a particular spot concentrates food in that location then the balckfish will be there. The same can be said for the run out. Think like a blackfish and don't always take what everyone says for gospel.

I remember a few years ago at Narrabeen lake (which is traditionally fished only on the run in for blackfish) there was a newcomer learningto fish for them. Nobody had toold him that you only got them on the run in and consequently he was fishing al sorts of tides. By the time everyone arrived to fish the run in he had been fishing the run out for hours and had abag full.

So good luck with the blackfish. I absolutely love it. what I love most is that they are the peoples fish!! You don,t need any fancy boats, rods, overhead reels, downriggers, sounders, GPS or anything like that. A centrepin reel, a nice long soft tip rod, 6 lb line, a spare float, couple of hooks, and a couple of sinkers, a handfull of weed and you are on your way.

davo

I think I can talk with some authority on this subject. There are no hard and fast rules as to which tides to fish for blackfish - it is very dependant on the spot. Like all fishing you need to think like a fish. Why would fish be in any location at any one time? for a feed!!

Thats for sure my father in law,and in fact the missus are gun Blackfishermen/persons..lol.

Ive been with him when when the wall at North haven is black with them and they wont take a bait.

And other times no sign of them,and guess what the father in law does throws a rock in and waits two mins or so,and they all come looking....next its a couple or three for dinner.

Blackfishing is a black art and if you can get a bud..or in my case a father in law whos fished only Blackfish all his life, you will be on your way

Cheers

twoducks

As my Grandfather would say, (Son we are learning new things everyday up until the day we die). Same applies to art of BLACKFISHING. Great isn't it!!! Why do you see so many GREY HAIRED BLACKFISHER fisho,s. ? CHEERS BART. :fisher::thumbup:

As my Grandfather would say, (Son we are learning new things everyday up until the day we die). Same applies to art of BLACKFISHING. Great isn't it!!! Why do you see so many GREY HAIRED BLACKFISHER fisho,s. ? CHEERS BART. :fisher::thumbup:

Very wise Grandfather you have Bart, that is very true, learn, learn, learn. As for the art of blackfishing, I don't know, my hair is greying but I don't think I can call myself an artist yet in blackfishing.

Cheerio,

Scout

Hi Scout

:1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to Fishraider! You will find answers to most of your questions on this forum!

Ditto all the replies above!!! Blackies can be very fickle! Up here, you can see 3-4lb monsters prowling the wall & they will take nothing you throw to them! They don't get that big without being wise!

When the tide slows down (as in almost or entirely still on the change of tide), it is a good idea to burley up as it can bring them back on the chew again, but they are more aggressive feeders when there is a bit of a flow in the tide. Don't waste your burley when the tide is flowing fast - it sinks much further down the way & is helping the bloke next to you instead!

Up here in Forster, you can fish the top & bottom of the tides (a couple of hours both sides) so that pretty well takes care of most of the day!!! Take a packed lunch. When looking for a good spot to fish, if the water is clear (or come back & scout your territory when it is) look out for any rocky outcrops along the breakwall or river edge (the bits sticking out into the water, as against the bottom of the wall that is fairly straight.

The water flows past this spot & creates an eddy just behind it (either tide) & this is where the food that is floating out in the tide gets dropped or at least, goes a bit slower. So this is where the fish hang out. It is also where you are likely to get the odd snag or two!! That goes with the territory!

If you want to fish with lots of blackfishing Raiders, we are having a Blackfish Social here in Forster on the first weekend in June - feel free to check out the info on:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...c=17350&hl=

and

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...showtopic=17523

It is for all levels of fishos - lots of newbies coming along to learn the black art of blackie fishing & some are even keen to have a go at Beach Worming as well!!! The idea is for the more skilled fishos to give a hand to get all the newbies into fish & the blackies should be well & truly on the chew by then! Bag limits (20 fish) are not uncommon at that time of year! Not that I would want to clean & fillet that many fish, anyway!

It would be great to have you on board & going by the Social I just attended at the Entrance, you will learn heaps & meet up with lots of neat people!!

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Scout

:1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to Fishraider! You will find answers to most of your questions on this forum!

Ditto all the replies above!!! Blackies can be very fickle! Up here, you can see 3-4lb monsters prowling the wall & they will take nothing you throw to them! They don't get that big without being wise!

When the tide slows down (as in almost or entirely still on the change of tide), it is a good idea to burley up as it can bring them back on the chew again, but they are more aggressive feeders when there is a bit of a flow in the tide. Don't waste your burley when the tide is flowing fast - it sinks much further down the way & is helping the bloke next to you instead!

Up here in Forster, you can fish the top & bottom of the tides (a couple of hours both sides) so that pretty well takes care of most of the day!!! Take a packed lunch. When looking for a good spot to fish, if the water is clear (or come back & scout your territory when it is) look out for any rocky outcrops along the breakwall or river edge (the bits sticking out into the water, as against the bottom of the wall that is fairly straight.

The water flows past this spot & creates an eddy just behind it (either tide) & this is where the food that is floating out in the tide gets dropped or at least, goes a bit slower. So this is where the fish hang out. It is also where you are likely to get the odd snag or two!! That goes with the territory!

If you want to fish with lots of blackfishing Raiders, we are having a Blackfish Social here in Forster on the first weekend in June - feel free to check out the info on:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...c=17350&hl=

and

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...showtopic=17523

It is for all levels of fishos - lots of newbies coming along to learn the black art of blackie fishing & some are even keen to have a go at Beach Worming as well!!! The idea is for the more skilled fishos to give a hand to get all the newbies into fish & the blackies should be well & truly on the chew by then! Bag limits (20 fish) are not uncommon at that time of year! Not that I would want to clean & fillet that many fish, anyway!

It would be great to have you on board & going by the Social I just attended at the Entrance, you will learn heaps & meet up with lots of neat people!!

Cheers

Roberta

Thank you very much Roberta, I really feel very welcome by the amount of replies on my first post, thank you Raiders.

Yes Roberta, I know you are one of the artist in blackie fishing, because as I said I have been visiting this site for a while now, and also you are master on mullet fishing. I am also going to try that mullet float of yours.

I will check the date of the social, see if doesn't coincide with the missus social.

Cheers

Scout

S