Barra Trip To Shady Camp And Sth Alligator

stipo

Greetings raiders,

A bit apart from the usual reports here but thought you may be interested...

6 mates and I got back last night from our annual one week fishing trip to NT. Like last year, we spent a few days at Pt Stuart putting in at Shady Camp for trips on Sampan Creek and, our fave, upper Tommy Cut Creek via the shortcut. Then a short drive to Aura Resort to fish on the South Aligator for a few days.

We didn't catch as many fish this year as we seem to had just missed the run-off and although the tides were timed well for us they were neap tides and so not enough movement (only 4 meters or so - still imressive amount of water). Last year we were there between cyclones and had too much water but more fish. We had a few no fish at all days this year but most days managed a couple between us.

Biggest catch was 85cm with 16 fish landed in the week.

post-2814-1177914140_thumb.jpg

My PB for the week was 75cm on a shitty little rod and reel from *****. I did manage to land the fish but we did have to chase it down with the boat. I did have around a 90cm fish on for ten minutes on it one stage until the line broke at the knot. The rod stood up to it but I just got a bit tide of being fearful of being undergunned all the time. I'll have to start putting away for a new rod and reel for next year. Somewhere where the wife doesn't look. (Some places do come to mind).

We did watch someone pull in a 122cm fish that took the lure right next to one of our boats.

post-2814-1177914097_thumb.jpg

Tommy Cut was voted by all as the best spot for fishing but the South Aligator was more agreeable for facilities and ease of getting onto and off the water. The ramp, or should I say pebble path, at Shady Camp is a real bitch at low tide estpecially for those who are bit lizard phobic. Thats crocks not flathead! There are some scary monsters up there.

The short cut over to Tommy Cut and Tommy Cut itself is just awsome scenery.

post-2814-1177914434_thumb.jpg

The corner of South Aligator and Uralangi Creek was like a car park some days.

post-2814-1177914127_thumb.jpg

Well back to work. Can't wait until next year!!!

Cheers,

Stipo

Nice report Stipo, very jealous of your annual trip up north with the boys.

Shame you did not get as many fish this year, but I am sure you had a great time with the boys either way.

BTW don't you hate seeing bigger fish caught right under your nose !!!! Better luck next year.

Great read Stipo,

You are sure making me reminisce about our trip to Weipa last year, which we are hoping to turn into a

annual venture.

Shame about the knot letting go on the 90cm one, but a 75cm is still a good fish.

Well done and thanks for the report.

Mick

That's a great report Stipo, it's always been my dream to fish for barra amongst those crocs on the riverbanks, I am really jealous. By the way, mind if I ask for some info. "Do you organise your own trip or someone arrange it for you?"

Scout

Nice report mate! I did a trip up there on anglers choice at he end of MArch last year for a weeks fishing on the mary river. We didnt get many fish as the weather was terrible and a big cyclone was approaching which seemed to shut everything down. Best scenery though, its awesome seeing big crocs floating around! Congratulations on your fish!

That's a great report Stipo, it's always been my dream to fish for barra amongst those crocs on the riverbanks, I am really jealous. By the way, mind if I ask for some info. "Do you organise your own trip or someone arrange it for you?"

Scout

One of the team is a logistics manager and did a great job and organising it all last year and again this year. This year we had 3 boats and 3 4wd crewcab utes on hire and arranged our own accomodation. Excluding airfares it worked out at about $1,400 each (7 people) for accom, boat hire, car hire, 8 cases of beer and fuel. We stayed in budget accom where possible. We found this the best way to go as it's cheap and you can go where and when you want. It does help to have someone with you who has lived in Dawin and knows the rivers as the organiser has. The organiser has found it a bit time consuming and painful so next year we are organising our own little groups, per boat.

Cheers Stipo

What amazed me when I fished in the territory was the site of crocs parked onto the banks like cars in a suburban carpark. Only the crocs are bigger than the cars. Later when the tide fell the aborigines squeezed in to have a fish. Little wonder the crocs are so big. Cheers BART. :1yikes::thumbup:

Well done, Stipo!! You had a great time, with great mates & have memories to last a lifetime!!!

I was just talking to a buddy today up at Tully & they reckon they'll let me know when the barra are hot & we are to go up & have a go at them!! Can't wait, already! Luckily Ian is into fishing (prefers Coral Trout but is prepared to lower his standards to have a go at Barra when I am there!) :1yikes::thumbup::yahoo:

Great reading

Cheers

Roberta

One of the team is a logistics manager and did a great job and organising it all last year and again this year. This year we had 3 boats and 3 4wd crewcab utes on hire and arranged our own accomodation. Excluding airfares it worked out at about $1,400 each (7 people) for accom, boat hire, car hire, 8 cases of beer and fuel. We stayed in budget accom where possible. We found this the best way to go as it's cheap and you can go where and when you want. It does help to have someone with you who has lived in Dawin and knows the rivers as the organiser has. The organiser has found it a bit time consuming and painful so next year we are organising our own little groups, per boat.

Cheers Stipo

Thanks a lot for the info, Stipo, now I have some starting point. I know, one day I'll have a crack at those monster barras. Reeling the barra in and the crocs is chasing it... sorry, I am dreaming again. Thanks again Stipo.

Scout