Harbour Report 2/5/07

sanger

Hey guys/girls,

set out from roseville at 530 this morning, raised 2 squid near the spit then nothing so we moved to manly to find some more then failing that moved on to option #2, got 5 yaka's a few trevally and a gar by 830. Trolled north head with some rapala's while we sounded around for some action. No hits but found a big school of something right on the tip so down went the livies... Nothing for 30 minutes. Went looking for the the boating boy off bondi that we had the gps point for and had been to 2 weeks ago, Gone :wacko: . couldnt fin it anywhere. Ok next move the lighthouse in the harbour, plenty on the sounder but all pickers no takers that was the end of both live squid and a few yakas.... running out of time fast so we headed over to cliffton and threw down there all the remaining livies and a squid strip recovered from the now picked at squid. Heaps on the sounder again not much happening though a few small bream and snapper. Squid strip goes bang then spat out felt like a small king bait was still ok so down it went for round 2 hit again 2 minutes later and hook rips straight off thanks to a dubeous knot!!!! damn it no time left so after being quite excited because we had every live bait under the sun we came home with zero!!!!!! :mad3: Its official i still suck at finding kings!!!!

Oh well there is always tomorrow.

P.s has anyone actually caught anything on yaka's????? i think its all a hoax and nothing eats them at all!!!! I've never get squat on them!!!!

P.s has anyone actually caught anything on yaka's????? i think its all a hoax and nothing eats them at all!!!! I've never get squat on them!!!!

Hey Fishlexic,

Stay with the yakka's, they work. Patience will pay off. Slimies and gar are better but harder to keep alive and on the hook.

On second thoughts, everyone can give up on the yakka's and just I will fish them ok!

Southerly

Lol, better luck next time mate.

I have caught hammerhead sharks, grouper, flathead, sargent bakers on live yakkas and probs a few other species i cant remember.

I have also seen big flattys, dollies and kingys taken on live yakkas

A trick to riggin yakkas is to put the hook through the nose, beacuse yakkas have spikes across the top of them so predatory fish normally swallow them headfirst sso they dont get spiked.

I have also lost yakkas outside whilst trolling them along at 1 or 2 knots.

chers james

Edited by james1990

Shame you didnt get any kingies mate.

One thing about clifton recently is there is a sh!tload of pickers around at the moment as you know, we had the same problem on sunday, i was throwing in burly and after about 5 mins of throwing it in , got a school of nice trevally and a kingie up to the boat, put some unweighted baits in their face and they cant refuse. :biggrin2:

On second thoughts, everyone can give up on the yakka's and just I will fish them ok!

:dito::Funny-Post:

dont give up on the kingies that quick mate.

i can honestly say that it has taken me 2 years to became a half decent kingfish fisherman.

it takes paitence and alot of experimenting and learning.

Edited by frankp

Hi there, Iv never had anything take a live yakka but I have witnessed Yakka's been taken so I know they work, as mentioned above just whack a 5/0 or bigger through the nose and send him down. Also butterflied yakka works a treat aswell, always getting runs but always missed hook up, think my hooks are bit small.

Cheers

Thanks for the tips guys, Thats exactly where i pin the yakka's though through the nose.... did a charter a while back to learn some tricks for the kings and has helped definately but as frank p said i think i still have a lot more tricks of the trade to learn for kings and i think now its just up to time in the water chasing them!!!! speaking of which i gotta go have another shot right now!!! :1prop:

Edited by fishlexic

In the last few months i have been catching some kings on yakkas. They must be smaller yakkas. Kings havent touched the bigger ones at all. Two sundays ago i got two kings on small yakkas at the spit and when i ran out they didnt want to play with the bigger ones. I got a jew on squid bait and the jew took squid over yakkas.

I only put one live bait hook thru half way back from his head. Also can pick up john dory and big flatties.

Go the small yakkas. Harder to catch but way more effective. I am going out with Riceball on friday and we going for a jew, kingie and big flatties in Middle Harbour. We will be in the Spit area from about 10am until 12 - 1pm. If no go there we will try Clifton.

Keep at it!!!

Yakkas work well in the harbour - but as mentioned above they have to be small

about the size of a mars bar ( and not a king-sized one ) around 10cm or less much bigger than

that and you have to wait for a bigger king to take an interest.

If you watch the kingfish dvd's with the underwater camera shots, the kings just smash the garfish, slimies

and squid - but really struggle on the Yakkas as they try and turn it to eat it head first before they swallow them

Trevally and Tailor when I use them seemed to get smashed not matter what the size, and what evers swallows them always makes an unstopable run for the nearest piece of structure

Jason