Strange Looking Fish!?

Luringbream

Question

I was deep jigging some zoom softplastics in around 80-90ft of water and i hooked up solid to this strange looking fish. At first it resembled a red rock cod but as i swung it into the boat i noticed its "flat head" and i stopped and thought WTF!

Here he is..

post-331-1178414992_thumb.jpg[

Bad pic sorry..Heres another of his colour allround

post-331-1178414910_thumb.jpg

DAN

Edited by Luringbream

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh as I fall on my sword.

Contacted a mate of mine who works for the Museum in Sydney and say's its no Rock Flathead , he reckons its a ........................

Tassel-snouted Flathead.

But thats already been mentioned, DOH. :biggrin2:

B.F.

Thanks to all for their help..After much doubt, i can finally conclude that i have caught a tasselsnout flathead. First on SP, and yet another species to the collection :biggrin2:

Yeah, Jeff. That's what I've seen as a real success of the Aquarium so far - the person asking the question always finds some "closure" eventually. Seems that Dan's quite happy with tasselsnout flathead (Thysanophrys cirronasa), so that's cause for us all to be happy! :thumbup::biggrin2: Here's a couple of pics:

From the Australian Museum:

post-1466-1178618622_thumb.jpg

Flattieman.

Thanks Flattieman..That pic is identical to the colour of mine and fits the description 110%

how did it taste?

Domza the taste was UNREAL, i have never had such a great tasting meal in my life and I am offering $500 per tasslesnout flattie fillet brought to me asap :1prop::1prop::1prop:

Just kidding..i released him, hopefully we can see more of them in the coming months. :thumbup::thumbup:

DAN

Based on colour we can rule the first two out, however there are many other variables to take into account.

DAN

colour is a bad feature to go by when identifying fish species, as with many other animals. in many species it can be greatly different from specimen to specimen