1 Or 2 Piece Rod

marus8504

Hi as you can see I am new to the forum and to the sport of fishing. I was just wondering if there is any benefit of buying a 1 piece rod over a 2 piece rod. I recently bought a 2 piece rack raider which is great but I know that they make the same rod in a 1 piece and was just wondering if there is any benefits over it’s 2 piece version

thanks

mark

Edited by Mark's

Hi Mate, welcome to the forums!

1 piece over two piece..... Typically the one peice rods are stronger as they have no join, they also have a more consistent action and better 'feel'.... on the down side they are more difficult to transport and hence more prone to having tips broken off.

Welcome to fishraider mate.. :biggrin2:

Like Sammy said, one piece over two piece. How big is the rod ur talking about? if its anything 6'6 or smaller, id go 1 piece. but as u said, if ur doing some hiking, and size would obviously be an issue, just go for two piece.

I've had my 2 peice rod come apart after a cast about 4 times in the last 2 months and had it fly into the water :mad3:

I've now sold it and really do not want to get another one.

IFS

They sell the 2 piece being as strong as a one piece etc but the main selling point will be transportation

I've had my 2 peice rod come apart after a cast about 4 times in the last 2 months and had it fly into the water :mad3:

I've now sold it and really do not want to get another one.

IFS

Can i ask what brand and model of rod it was, i have a 2 piece shimano rack raider and have had no problems

Guest mrs_rzep

Hi as you can see I am new to the forum and to the sport of fishing. I was just wondering if there is any benefit of buying a 1 piece rod over a 2 piece rod. I recently bought a 2 piece rack raider which is great but I know that they make the same rod in a 1 piece and was just wondering if there is any benefits over it’s 2 piece version

thanks

mark

:1welcomeani: To fishraider Mark - The raiders will be able to help you with all questions that you have - This place is great to learn all new things!

Hi Mark,

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider! Personally, I don't make too great a distinction between one- and two-piece rods for "general-purpose" estuary applications. Increasingly, the fishing media is beginning to publicise the fact that advancing modern technology in rod-building and design combats many of the "classic" disadvantages of two-piece rods (alike those that Sammy has mentioned). Perhaps ultra-finesse applications may sway you towards a one-piece rod, but for almost any other application, I wouldn't object to using a two-piece rod. Increased portability is also a major advantage of the multi-piece rods.

Flattieman.

Hi Mark :1welcomeani: ,

Id also prefer a one piece rod, as it is more durable, fishwise...as for transporting it around, ive actually now got a pvc tube with caps on the ends, with some foam on the inside to support the rod and a strap to carry it around like a backpck sort of, as ive been bush bashing a lot recently for a good secluded fishing spot. :thumbup:

Cheers

Davy

Hi Mark :1welcomeani: ,

Id also prefer a one piece rod, as it is more durable, fishwise...as for transporting it around, ive actually now got a pvc tube with caps on the ends, with some foam on the inside to support the rod and a strap to carry it around like a backpck sort of, as ive been bush bashing a lot recently for a good secluded fishing spot. :thumbup:

Cheers

Davy

Huh, PVC tube for the 1 piece rod ?!?! How long is it ?!

Hi Mark,

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider! Personally, I don't make too great a distinction between one- and two-piece rods for "general-purpose" estuary applications. Increasingly, the fishing media is beginning to publicise the fact that advancing modern technology in rod-building and design combats many of the "classic" disadvantages of two-piece rods (alike those that Sammy has mentioned). Perhaps ultra-finesse applications may sway you towards a one-piece rod, but for almost any other application, I wouldn't object to using a two-piece rod. Increased portability is also a major advantage of the multi-piece rods.

Flattieman.

That is true, but in the 2 months I had that 8ft rod I never once pulled it apart.

I had to keep on pushing it together so it didn't come apart during the cast :thumbdown:

IFS

Huh, PVC tube for the 1 piece rod ?!?! How long is it ?!

6 foot. has a strap and everything. ive used it a couple of times, when trying to find a secluded spot. other than that its annoying as hell. :tease:

6 foot. has a strap and everything. ive used it a couple of times, when trying to find a secluded spot. other than that its annoying as hell. :tease:

NICE !!!

Have you invested in a 2 piece now or still a devoted 1 piece rod user ?

BTW I have never used a 1 piece rod before so can't really compare.

NICE !!!

Have you invested in a 2 piece now or still a devoted 1 piece rod user ?

BTW I have never used a 1 piece rod before so can't really compare.

well thanks too everyones help, i have got a varity of two and one peice rods now which should fill every ocassion, just about to buy the 1 piece version of my rack raider from anothere member on this forum. but thanks for all of the replys and now lets hope i can start catching some decent fish :1fishing1: