Quickest Way To Tell A Male Fish From A Hen Fish?

FishDrought

Hello people,

what a glorious day to be out fishing, the harbour looks beautiful & yet here I am stuck at work!

Does anybody know the quickest way to discern a male fish from a female fish? just asking so as to reduce the time & stress on breeding females that are taken out of the water?

Cheers

Jas

Are we talking trout or another specific fish?? I don't think all fish can be identified quickly by just looking (unless the male is milting - oozing cream coloured sperm, or the female is full of eggs.) Trout & Blackfish have different shaped jaws. Male trout have a specific hooked lower jaw & female blackfish apparantly have a very square jaw - the male's jaw is more rounded - or so I have been told by someone who has fished them for 60 years!! Flathead - the females tend to be the biggest ones - don't know about the others!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Thanks for the reply & very handy info.

I have a basic idea for the freshwater species, But I am less confident with saltwater fish ( not that I catch enough large size breeders or any to be honest - to worry lol).

Just hoping to find away to avoid filleting a good sized hen.

Thanks again for the help.

Jas

Flathead anything over 50 or 60 cm is a female. They go from male to female when they reach a certain size.

Blackies and trout robert is correct, as is IFS on dollies, but bulls tend to be a tad bigger as well.

Generally size is a big factor.... Iwould be releasing most bigegr fish in most species as larger ones tend to be the dominant females, yes i hated saying that for all the females on raider :1prop: .....

henry

now this may be totally irrelevant and not apply to the fish we catch but with tank fish (the kind you buy at the pet store) 99% of them can be identified as male or female by the set of rear fins (the 2 littles ones on the under side of the fish just after the bum!)

the males have sharper tipped fins while the females are more round.

I know this because I used to breed smaller fish as food for the larger ones and I'd always leave 5 or 6 females to every 1 male so the cycle continues.

dunno if this helps

What a wealth of information we Fishraiders Have at our fingertips!!

Cheers

Roberta

Yes indeedy, there are some very cluey people on this site.

And I thought the only way you could tell a female fish was the ones that can't reverse park back under a rock :074::074:

I have my helmet on ready for a clubbing over that crack :bash:

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

G`day Fellas ,

THE ONLY WAY TO TELL A FEMALE FISH IS TO DO THE FOLLOWING.

Ist of all , Very gently raise the fish from the water , making sure to support the underbelly.

Next , turn the fish so it faces you , and then kiss it very passionately on the Lips .

The GIRLS ...kiss back....The Horny ones .... Chuck the tounge in.

Mick

Edited by OWZAT