If Fordy Can Lose It, Then So Can I!

Cid

After helping Fordy bust his Kingie cherry on the weekend, I decided to have a whirl myself. I've caught kings before but never from my yak, so I headed off at the crack of dawn into the wind and chop towards the hotwater outlet in the Bay to flick around a mojo lure, hoping to repeat Fordy's effort.

I was using a Pflueger Supreme rod, rated at 3-4kg's but I had my doubts. It looks just too flimsy. I rigged the Mojo to a Squidgy jighead and tied off onto 10lb fluoro that was connected to some 10lb braid. Same technique as before: cast out, let it sink then jig it back. Well, I'd been there about 20 minutes when only 4 meters from the yak there's a big boil and yahoo, we're off!

We circled each other for 10 minutes or so :04: and I have to say my doubts in the rod are now well and truly dispelled. She worked a treat and I finally netted my first kingie for the kayak. 69cm's to the tip :biggrin2: and what a way to start a working day. It's just a bummer I can't stay out and try for another.

A big thanks goes out to the guys in the boat "Spanardo" who snapped the photo for me. :thumbup: Thanks guys, I hope you got into a few.

cheers,

Cid

post-680-1179974230_thumb.jpg

post-680-1179974281_thumb.jpg