First Sea Outing In Yak

arpie

Hi guys

Well, I convinced the other half to have a paddle off One Mile beach - looked nice & smooth! By the time we got there, a small swell had come up & we gave it a go anyway!!

Got out fine - a bit of a wet bum, but not too bad, considering it is our first efforts (both of us!) Had a nice paddle out beyond the 'surf - not that there was much of it!' and checked out the bommie at the southern end.

I reckon I could get sea-sick if I was out for long enough! Headed for home after about an hour & tried to guage the swell as we came back in. I caught a small wave coming in & was quite proud of myself, as I used the rudder to guide me in .... then I lifted the rudder (so as not to damage it) but should have grabbed the paddle first!! Big mistake, that one! OOOOOOOPS! All over in a matter of seconds!

Totally dunked! Amazing how much power in the waves as I tried to grab the yak & stop it going out again without me! Ah well - shame no-one had a camera (I hope!) Better luck next time, I hope! Just glad I didn't take any tackle out!

Cheers

Roberta - a very wet Roberta!

Worst of it is that the other half didn't get half as wet as me! Not fair!

Hi Roberta,

Good stuff with the maiden offshore voyage. Wise idea to try without the gear. Next sunny day you could try repeated trips through the surf zone to get the hang of it as it is easy to come undone. I have only launched in very small waves in the yak, will need a SOK before I get braver and even then its tricky in any sort of surf.

Good stuff, keep it up.

Southerly

Now with photos - before the dunking, of course!! Made sure there were none after!!!

post-2231-1180472095_thumb.jpg

Roberta

another one - the bomomie off southern One Mile Beach - one day I will fish it

post-2231-1180472368_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Davy

I'm not sure about it being structure - just reflection of sun on water, methinks! But it turned out to be a more stunning photo than I thought it would!! Just hope I don't get seasick next time I go out. It took a couple of hours for the tummie to stop 'rolling'! Or was that just from going A over T when I got dumped!?

Cheers

Roberta