Moral Dilemma

humesy

Howdy,

I finally bought my dream boat. Spotted a bargain on Ebay; a beautiful quinnie estuary angler named Paul. when I asked the bloke why he was selling, it was to help his son out with a home loan. fair enough says I. It then slowly emerged that the boat was named after his other son who had passed away. He had always wanted a boat apparently. well this required some sensitivity as he seemed a bit awkward about selling it. I said I would keep the name out of respect and I think it is the right thing to do. but now I am not so sure. It will be my boat now and I think it should have a name of my own.

The seller is a lovely bloke and I am a bit torn on this one.

What are your thoughts?

man wat a tight position the way i look at it is death is a part of life and you have to move on sooner or later and they will remember him always in different ways, not with a boat they dont own anymore i think, i would re name her and if it makes you fell any better just get a smaller sticker made up and find a nice little spot for it.

cheers mick

Guest rzep

I think that you could not possibly have a better name for your boat. :yahoo:

But some may say that I am biased. :074::074:

Humesy, I think it's up to you as it's now your boat.

I realise the seller must have feelings about the boat's name, but he chose to sell her to

you and it's your perogative to re-name her as you wish.

One thing though...there are a lot of superstitions regarding renaming boats...do a Google search and put in "renaming a boat"

There you will find all sorts of folklore and superstitions related to re-naming boats.

Even ceremonies you must do to ward off evil spirits and placate King Neptune etc.

Take them on board as you will, but remember, it's now YOUR boat and I hope you have many happy and safe days on her, including catching plenty of fish.

Maybe have a small plaque made with the name "Paul" placed somewhere on the dashboard, just for sentimental reasons might be a nice idea too.

It's up to you.

Cheers,

Pete.

thats a good idea...

would also make for an interesting story when mates come out on the boat...

"Humesy... what's with the plaque???"

CFD

HERE HERE!

Everybody has a story to the history of their boat,,,, good and bad,,,,,,, Its your decision as the owner,,,,

D&G

Ah, the true measure of a mans worth, his word!

Basically your heart made a promise before your head had time to enter a plea. This is a common error of man, through the ages man has made promises his head knows won't work, but his heart dearly wants to see fullfilled. You know, like..

"Of course I'll still love you in the morning"

"I could never be turned on by anyone but you"

"I will buy the next round because your broke"

Eventually these things come back to haunt us, they give us restless sleep, cause much angst & generally ruin an otherwise peaceful existance.

If it were me, my only out would be if I went back to the fella & explained why I wanted to change the name, list every possible reason why its the best thing.... What, you ain't got nuthin' better than "I don't like it"? Then your stuffed mate, sell it now before its too late & you start waking up with the same woman day after day, dream of woman you can never have & buy beer for every loser within spitting distance. :biggrin2:

You made a promise from a good place mate, shows compassion & a wonderful heart. Only an utter bastard wouldn't have a problem with this, sell it to me!!!

Ok, seriously, its a hard one & you need to dig deep mate, if you truly want this name to change, then do whatever you need to do (IE in relation to the family concerned) & make sure you do it properly, with the right re-naming ceremony etc, you don't want to enrage the God Of The Deep!

PS - What were you thinking for another name, just so I know to give you a wide birth if I see ya out there on the water :074:

Goodluck Humesy

Edited by Boofhead

You didnt really mean those things?

SOB !

Ross

Bugga, busted!

I take it all back, I promise never to ride in a boat that hasn't got an Evinrude!

BTW Humesy, I forgot to say, congrats on the new boat. Even with a dilemma it must still be a buzz. :yahoo:

Boof and Flightmanager................................ Sit down and be quiet!

Mate, friends of mine have brought trucks that belong to drivers that have passed away.They are not your average rigs and generally start at the $250k mark.

One friend re-named his truck(after his daughter) and just put a simple tag on the passengers side that stated "Pauls side"

The other said "Daves dream" on the sun-visor.

You seem to be a bit like me when it comes to respect/karhma............. but.........

It's your boat, do what you think is best for you!

No big deal, something simple to set YOUR mind at rest will do!

Cheers

Humesy,

First I hope you score a nice jewfish from your new boat, congrats on the purchase.

This is an open and shut case. If you gave your word you should keep it.

"I said I would keep the name out of respect and I think it is the right thing to do."

If your conscience nag you it's because there is something wrong and inside you care about doing the right thing. If you said you'd do it then do it.

Enjoy your new boat,

Paul

Howdy,

I finally bought my dream boat. Spotted a bargain on Ebay; a beautiful quinnie estuary angler named Paul. when I asked the bloke why he was selling, it was to help his son out with a home loan. fair enough says I. It then slowly emerged that the boat was named after his other son who had passed away. He had always wanted a boat apparently. well this required some sensitivity as he seemed a bit awkward about selling it. I said I would keep the name out of respect and I think it is the right thing to do. but now I am not so sure. It will be my boat now and I think it should have a name of my own.

The seller is a lovely bloke and I am a bit torn on this one.

What are your thoughts?

Hi Mate,

You bought the boat knowing it was named "Paul" and you said you would keep the name out of respect. Where is the problem? Stick to your word!

People do not name a vessel for shits and giggles; it is usually a long hard thought out process with a lot of people involved.

Do the right thing.

Robbie.

This may Sound harsh

but if it was so sentimental why would he sell it.

harsh but fair mate

that was what i was gonna say.

meybe dont rename the boat just remove the name "paul "from it

i think thats a loophole in the laws of neptune.

Thanks for the responses.

Boof, you have hit the nail on the head. The heart speaks before the brain thinks it over.

Thinking about a compromise here. renaming the boat with the word Paul in it somehow. something like "pauling G's" "pauling 'em in" "caterpault", that sort of thing.

haven't cracked it yet but will let you know when I decide the winner.

Thinking about a compromise here. renaming the boat with the word Paul in it somehow. something like "pauling G's" "pauling 'em in" "caterpault", that sort of thing.

haven't cracked it yet but will let you know when I decide the winner.

What about "PAULINE HANSOME"?

Nah seriously, do what you want.

Worst case scenario, (if you're worried about the ghost of Paul F#%king with your fishing!) take a picture of the boat with the name showing, put it in a frame and give it to the dad as a momento.

Humesy

At the end of the day mate, Paul may infact be your fishing angel. Perhaps having a guide (And a little mention / summons to him every trip) will be the best thing anyone could ask for.

I know I'm gonna get ribbed here but here goes.

My dad passed away in 05, the boat I have now was his. All of my family beleives (And truly beleives) that we see him everywhere we go in the form of ether a butterfly or a Wedge Tailed Eagle. (He loved birds and used to do taxidermy) Anyway, whenever I am missing him I talk to him, generally (And you'd be VERY surprised how often this happens) I will see an Eagle within 30 minutes, especially if I ask for some help with a problem I'm having.

When I'm out in the boat, I can almost garuntee that if I see an Eagle I will have a pretty good day.

Superstision, gobbldy-gook, whatever you want to think, it works for me.

Perhaps if you keep the name, ask him for a little help when you go out in the boat (You don't have to say it aloud so everyone thinks you're a loon) you might just find you have a fishing guide to beat all others.

Whatever you decide mate, at the end of the day it is your boat, but it was someone elses first & keeping a good heart (Even if you change the name) will go along way to easing your conscience.

G`day Fellas ,

Ok , so you rename the Boat , thats cool , but If you reallly don`t want to tempt Fate , Make sure you search everybodys bags before they come on Board for ***********************************Bananas .

Good luck with Paulie .

Mick

As others have stated, if the boat meant that much to him he would not have sold it.

I also thought of putting "Paul" into the name, but it doesn't go into much that sounds good.

Paul isn't a good name for a fishing boat, especially if your name isn't Paul.

If it was, you could have named it Paul's ......

At the end of the day, it is YOUR boat, and YOUR conscience.

Luckily the old owner does not live next door.

You obviously have thought hard about this, otherwise you wouldn't have posted.

Don't worry what anyone else thinks or says, because at the end of the day you only have to answer to 1 person - YOU.

I know what I would do !!!

Forget about this and enjoy the new boat.

Cheers

Greg

Mate what a situation you find yourself in.

I to brought a boat off ebay 3 weeks ago which didnt have a name label on it. Speaking to aother friend of mine about all the hoo doo voo doo surrounding boats and renaming them. I purposley told the seller not to tell me the boats name. My thought process was if I dont know the name of the boat then to me there is none therefore im free to name the boat what ever I want. Obviously to late for you but to anyone else who may find themselves in this position maybe they can apply my theory.

I think its your decision on what you name your boat. Id also go with the idea of putting his name somewhere on the boat, a rod holder, back of the motor front dash.

Best of luck mate.

Cheers

Kiwi Dan

dilemma solved.

"Paul of the Wild" will be the name of the boat.

Read Jack London's book a while back and enjoyed it.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Humesy

Good compromise Humesy...That should keep the demon's off the boat and allow you

to have the boat with the name you choose.

Good fishing and fair breezes to ya mate.

Cheers,

Pete.

I believe in karma.

I believe in keeping my word.

When I got a pool table my brother gave me a cue stick stand and scorer he said "You can have it but it was the first thing I ever made so don't throw it out give it back if you don't need it anymore".

I bought a nice new one and put his in the garage to give back to him. I waited to long. He passed away suddenly. It is still in the garage 2yrs later, I don't want to bring it up with his wife or my niece and nephews. One day when one of his kids get a pool table I will pass it on to them. Even though it needs some repairs being over 35yrs old I'm sure they will love it.

Sorry, but I feel you should have Paul's name there somewhere. You should keep your word.

Have you thought about a play on words?

Like avagoodweekend type of thing. I'm hopeless with this as you can see.

I could only come up with Paulownedme or Paulvault (gee I suck at this) or a famous person Paul Revere. Or as suggested above a name on a plaque "My real name is Paul"

Good luck with your decision.