Garmin 72

groperman

Gday guys, i recently just bought a handheld garmin 72, getting the hang of it.

With regarding to the GPS co-ordinates, whats the difference between WGS84 and AUS84 datum? like is the format of the co-ordinates different? and how do i know which type of co-ordinate iam actually using. Also are there any Garmin 72 gurus here? :) cheers!

Finally, i tried putting these co-ordinates i got from a boating map but it doesnt say what type of datum it is. I put it in google earth and it shows the point coupler hundred meters away, what sort of datum is google earth using? cheers!

Mate they are 2 different datums....AUS84 or AUS66 where commonly used in Australia previousdly but now the most used is WGS84.

You will find that most marks used in Books etc now that were printed recently would be in WGS84 datum.

All the fad co-ordinates and co-ordinates you will receive from mates etc will be is WGS84, so set your GPS to that datum.

There is a difference of about 100 metres between the 2 datums

yeh i put the marks into google earth to double check if its the right place and when i put it in, its about coupler hundred meters difference from what its shown on the map i got. I just want to see what sort of datum google earth uses.