Stingrays

Thomas Mattarelli

Hey guys

I know this sounds abit weird to some of you but i was talking to this old guy couple of weeks ago and he had two Rays in his esky i asked him why? thinking he would be using for crabpots or something like and he replys.

''Nah are you joking i eat them nothing better then a Ray thrown straight onto a weber plate''.

and i was like ''yeah right dude Yukk :wacko: Crazy man''.

then when i got home and spoke to my oldman bout it he was like yeah heaps of people do and again i was like :wacko: ''Crazy man''.

So guys what im trying to find out are any of you Crazy??

lol jks just wanted to see how many people eat them and if they are any good??

Hi Tom

Some 35 years ago, my sister actually bought a piece of stingray flap & cooked it up in a cheese sauce & it actually tasted like chicken & had similar consistency!! The European prize it highly as a table fish - but it isn't a 'smelly' fish!

Go for it - the bigger ones are probably better than the little ones - more flesh on them! Watch out for those barbs, tho!!

Cheers

Roberta

I tried them in singapore and they were great, so I had a go at eating it when I caught one here, they are pretty good. Very hard to clean if you get a real slimey one, but other than that they are fairly tasty.

Well you have to somehow grab the thing while you cut the flaps off. That's the trickiest bit with the slime I reckon. One other thing I forgot to mention, was that the day we caught a stingray we also got a massive aussie salmon and cooked them both the same. The people eating the stingray and the salmon said they were both quite good, so either I'm really good at cooking salmon or we all have no taste in fish :D

My mate once kept a common stingray - prob about 3 foot long - to try it out for a feed. A bunch of our friends are Chinese and they said it was a tasty dish bbq'd...

We cooked this thing and same as we would a normal whole fish (foil, seasonings on the bbq grill)

It was the most fishiest tasting and thoroughly horrible mouthful of food I have ever tried... Even now I can taste the fishiness...

We didnt really clean the slime off so maybe that is where we went wrong...

Also the barbs on the critter were lethal - be very careful!

Give me a flatty or bream any day!

Like I said - we cooked it terribly and didnt really know how to clean it.. I am sure if you knew what you were doing and with a bit of effort you could create a tasty dish...

Hey fellas

For a cheap and easy way of getting the slime off you can also to just rub the flaps with dry sand. The dry sand is abbrassive and also absorbs all the gunk.

Hope this helps, tight lines.

Pitty