Fun Tailor Session At Narra Lake

mrmoshe

Went down for a fish at Narra lake today as I hadn't been in 2 weeks....boy ..it was like a light switch had been turned off.

I was wading in my usual spot in front of the caravan park and the tide was the lowest I have seen in ages.

Ankle deep water right next to the main channel. I noticed the entrance had closed up too...perhaps it was just the very low tide but a definite sandbar blocking the entrance today.

No flatties in my usual spots or bream..just thousands of bloody toads....Geez I hate those things!!

Gave that away pronto as once they turn up, nothing else is around.

Still had lots of my whitebait left over, so went down to my other old favourite flattie spot and no flatties there either...just heaps and heaps of chopper tailor.

I have been watching these buggers grow for about 8 weeks now and they started out at being about 7cm long, then 3 weeks later, about 15cm ...now they are all about 28-29cm...almost sized.

Their growth has been spectacularly fast...must be all the food in the lake.

Got one every cast and ended up with over 50 in about an 90 minutes. All released, but boy, was it fast and furious.

I eventually ran out of bait and got tired of winding the buggers in. Also got one nice bream that went 36 to the fork (also released) and he had the biggest chunk out of his head in front of his dorsal...must have been chomped as a baby by a tailor. At first I thought it was an estuary perch. No pics as I wasn't expecting much today and didn't take the camera.

Bodes well if the lake is closed and these fellas just about legals are chockas in the lake....going to make winter fishing fun again as everything else seems to have shut down.

Cheers,

Pete,

Yes, we cant have more stories of boring MONSTER FLATTIES now can we :1prop:

Well done on the choppers :thumbup: oh ,and the Bream.

penguin

I've got a feeling all the flatties have migrated to the back of the lake where the water is warmer.

The water in the lower part of the lake was bloody cold yesterday..might have to invest in some comfy waders for winter fishing.

Will give the back of the lake a shot next week to see if those flatties feel like a feed.

Cheers,

Pete.

Mate from what i have been told again dont know how true it is but in the cooler months the flatties normal hang more around the weed beds because the water is warmer and last winter just about all of the flatties i caught were in this little hole at Bobbinhead that you can only access at low tide unless you have a boat and its probably about 1meter deep and full of weed try to find something like this there has to be one in Narralakes somewhere its a pretty big lake lol

Tightlines budd

Tom

Mate from what i have been told again dont know how true it is but in the cooler months the flatties normal hang more around the weed beds because the water is warmer and last winter just about all of the flatties i caught were in this little hole at Bobbinhead that you can only access at low tide unless you have a boat and its probably about 1meter deep and full of weed try to find something like this there has to be one in Narralakes somewhere its a pretty big lake lol

Tightlines budd

Tom

Thanks Tom. I might give the stone marker plaque along wakehurst parkway a shot next week as some other posters have mentioned this a good producer at times.

Last time I was there, it was choked with dying weed, but it might have improved since then.

The water there should be a lot warmer too.

Cheers,

Pete.

What are you using for these monster crocs I hear about? I visit Narra sometimes and drift with prawns in my yak for bream and flatties. Usually get a feed but only around 38cm flatties. I got a beauty once but lost him at the boat, so far haven't found him again. But I'm getting sick of that weed fouling my bait, so kinda getting over narrabeen. When is that at its worst? Sometimes its terrible and sometimes its ok.

Also, the spot outside the caravan park, when is this best fished and what for? And the entrance to the lake - Im sure I've had a look at high tide and it has still been closed. Whats the deal, does it need to be a real high tide to spill over, or is a sporadic sandbar? I haven't tried up there much, I usually go around pipeclay point and drift down towards deep creek.

Hey Pete,

Good report, how good is that tiny body of water? It gets heaps of fishing pressure and is built up and dregaded heaps and still it produces. Hasn't had any pros in it for 50 odd years so maybe that has helped. I had some excellent wading sessions there in spring/summer this season, it is awasome to watch a sunset get a few lizzards and be back home within 60 mins of leaving home, paradise.

I have found the flathead to be around even when the weed was bad, in fact this season I caught heaps in amongst the weediest spots you could imagine. I also caught 5 from 40-55cm one night in ankle deep water in an area the size of a basket ball caught, some of the lizzards jumped out of the water on hook-up.

Good luck with the winter fishing Pete, will join you in Sept when the prawns start to wake.

Diveyak - I have had success in very weedy areas by fishing very light or weightless jigheads, it allows me to fish with minimum fouling and you would be surpirsed at howmany fish are in there (I suspect because it is hard to fish the lizzards get leftalone more than the deeper and more accessable water. Havn't tried poppers for lizzards yet but next season may have a go. PS: Will be having a final MH fling this Saturday with a squidding sess at Clontaf from 5am if you are interested.

Southerly

What are you using for these monster crocs I hear about? I visit Narra sometimes and drift with prawns in my yak for bream and flatties. Usually get a feed but only around 38cm flatties. I got a beauty once but lost him at the boat, so far haven't found him again. But I'm getting sick of that weed fouling my bait, so kinda getting over narrabeen. When is that at its worst? Sometimes its terrible and sometimes its ok.

Also, the spot outside the caravan park, when is this best fished and what for? And the entrance to the lake - Im sure I've had a look at high tide and it has still been closed. Whats the deal, does it need to be a real high tide to spill over, or is a sporadic sandbar? I haven't tried up there much, I usually go around pipeclay point and drift down towards deep creek.

G'day Yak,

I'm an old school bait fisho and my favourite is good old whiebait, the fresher the better.. That's what the crocs always seem to go for.

I still haven't mastered SP's at all and never had much success in the lake with them. Heaven knows..I have lots of them in my tackle box and always give them a shot for zippo results...Others have success with them , so it must be just me.

Yes, the weed can be a problem at times but this year. it hasn't been all that bad for me.

The caravan park area is lousy with toads at the moment and I can't even rustle up even small bream as those toadies just jump all over your bait as soon as it hits the drink.

3 weeks ago, it was firing with flatties,bream,tailor and I even managed that one and only 61cm salmon there...now....zilch!!

The entrance was open about 2 weeks ago but now it has quite a good sized sandbar there and maybe high tide is still getting over it, but only just. It's as good as shut now.

If you like some fast action...target those tailor in the lake in about a month when they are sized...they are just one centimetre off being legal now and growing like summer grass....Should be top fun soon as they seem to be all over the lake....look for birds working the areas up near the back of the lake and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers and probably see you out there.

Pete.

those tailors could be turned into nice jewies off the beach for ya! :biggrin2:

Give 'em 2 weeks to grow to legal size (30cm) and they will be perfect size for live jewie baits.

Woohoooo!!

Pete.