Shark Bait

smoothaz

Going to try Shark fishing and don't know much about bait or hook size for Mako,Bronzies and right down to School Sharks.Please give advice if you know as i live in Vic and its hard enough.

Hi guys and gals...Smoothaz is from Victoria and feels a bit left out as he at first thought Fishraider was for Sydney & NSW fishos only. (He has emailed me on this worry)

If we can all give him some advice and make him feel welcome, it would be appreciated as we are ALL fishos number one and welcome interstate members just as much as locals.

All you shark veterans give him some advice on techniques/baits/rigs etc as it would be appreciated by our Southern cousins.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

I dont specifically target sharks myself, but CaineS link looks pretty spot on as to what your looking for Smoothaz. i have a couple of scans of a gummy article from a magazine, but i duno if that will violate rules or what not, so if ur interested in the article send me a PM.

Cheers

Davy

Hey mate we were having a few sessions off the beach a couple of weeks ago but were very undergunned by some big sharks. Big baits were the key. We were using whole frigates and bonito for bait, and were placing slice marks so we could get as much blood in the water as possible. Down south you would be fine with salmon, which we will be using as our next baits. If the conditons are right a blood based burley will work fine, but you dont want to take the sharks away. Big hooks are a must and around 1mtr of wire or cable trace will be fine, even the little sharks will buite you off. Cheers Tyrone

Hi Smoothaz,

I used to fish a lot of the rocks in Sydney and we used to catch sharks quite a bit.

You need to use a wire trace about 1m should do it. I would use a large live baiting hook, Avoid gang hooks. Depending on the location I would use a float and any meaty bait (strips of yakka or squid heads or mullet strips etc) will do, they are not too particular unless you are off the beach then use a good sinker. You dont want it moving around too much.

A few tips, they have really abrasive skin so I keep a really heavy duty knife on hand. Watch the teeth. They can take quite a while to die so better to kill them quick then wait for them to expire naturally. If you can clean them on location I suggest doing this as they really have stinky guts. Don't eat anything over 5 ft as a general rule as they retain lead and mercury in the flesh (as they do not have a normal bone structure).

Happy Hunting

Sunnyboy

All the silly replies to this post have been removed by myself ,this is serious stuff people and if targeting Sharks you need to know the facts .

Swordfisherman

I was SOOOOO gonna start with something stupid but ....ummmmm .... reconsidered!!! :unsure:

What I did want to ask is:

If fishing for shark from a beach, how would you go burleying? I mean you can't just dump a bucket of blood in the water!

And, and I'm actually quite good at casting ... but how far would you need to get your bait? I normally cast just the other side of where the waves are breaking ... is this far enough?

If fishing for shark from a beach, how would you go burleying? I mean you can't just dump a bucket of blood in the water!

Hi mate,

i got a few tips from a mate when burleying at the beach. what they do is chop the burley up, which is mainly tuna frames, pillies etc etc. and bury it in the sand at low tide that way when they fish the rising tide, the waves disperse the burley slowly etc. or something along those lines was what he said.

I havnt tried this method, but just thought ofit...you could chuck your blood and fish frames and stuff into an onion bag or similiar and tie it to a stake or something, then just let it get pounded by waves and the wash, letting out a little burley in the process. what a GREAT IDEA! :1prop: im gona try next time.

Cheers

Davy

Gdayyyyyyyy Smooth ,We have targeted large Makos on the shelf and the best bait is a Striped Tuna ,either whole or a large slab (full side) 49 strand wire is a must in 1000 lb breaking strain for the big boys and at least 15 foot long.

Large hooks in the 12/0 to 20/0 and make sure you have a decent tail rope and quality flying gaff and two meat hooks if you intend to take these Big Bities.

The Makos are not to be played with unless you have experienced people with you as are any of the large sharks like threshers and bronzies.

Dont forget you cannot predict what size shark comes to your boat and you must have a vessel capable of talking the hard knocks when you gaff them of try and release them.

Never bring a large shark on board your boat,better to tow it back with two tail ropes.

Burley hard with fish flesh and use large fish flesh baits at different depths.

Just remember that the use of any type of mammal is strictly prohibited.

Good luck in your quest.

Cheers Stewy

All the silly replies to this post have been removed by myself ,this is serious stuff people and if targeting Sharks you need to know the facts .

Swordfisherman

Spot on.......perfect description........as mentioned be very careful.....sharks are not to be taken lightly

Also dont forget that a Mako shark has an abrasive like skin underneath, if you try and drag him over the side of your boat to get him on board he will wipe the paint straight off.......i recommend you go out with a few exprienced shark fishos first and then start to target them yourself.....One mistake and you could have a life threatening situation

I havnt tried this method, but just thought ofit...you could chuck your blood and fish frames and stuff into an onion bag or similiar and tie it to a stake or something, then just let it get pounded by waves and the wash, letting out a little burley in the process.

Cheers

Davy

not a bad idea there mate!

might have to give it a bash!

Mate,

There is a DVD called "Small Boats - Big Sharks, fishing aboard El Bandito". It is excellent as it shows techniques, gear, rigging baits etc.

Have a look for it in your local bait shop. I have seen it on ebay as well for about $10-20. Send WATTO a PM he may stock it in his shop.

It is good viewing. The whole DVD is filmed off Wollongong, Sydney & Port Stephens. You won't believe how big some of these sharks are right on our doorstep.

Nathan.

That reel will be perfect and roller tip at least.

cut the eel from tail to head and open it and fold the flaps the opposite way and all the flesh will be exposed.

Put your wire trace and 3 or 4 hooks inside with the barbs exposed and sew the whole lot up with dacron or somthing similar.

I watched the guys at Tathra use this type of bait and it does get results :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

Thankyou and i will try the rig out maybe this week depending on what the bosss says :wife:

Idid a lot of fishing for Bronze Whalers back in Adelaide.

No1 bait a fresh squid head the the candles attached, floated under a balloon.

All my fishing was done at night 10-15km offshore and their was always the chance of hooking

a white pointer or a really big bronzie - I was only targeting the little guys 3-4 feet so I used

a metre of 90lbs wire and fairly light hooks - So if a big guy took it I wouldnt could just bust it off.

2 Most important pieces of equipment a good gaff and a solid mallet.

As soon as the shark is gaffed wack it on the nose as hard as you can to kill it even if its a small one

Its better to loose it then have it in the boat.

They can flex their bodies around to bite you if your holding its tale in an instant and go completely

nuts on the boat floor and you'll find your self standing on the transom or the cabin roof.

Never targeted the big ones - just hammers & bronzies upto 5 feet, in a 16 footer at night

much bigger than 5 foot would be to risky as you might use the gear to hook a big one hook

a really big one and sometimes they just come upto the boat with no fight and you wouldnt want 400lbs

wire trace wrapped around the prop with 10 feet + of angry shark heading for the bottom

Off a beach or wharf the size of the shark doesnt really matter - as you can always

get out of the way

Shark fishing is fun though

Jason

Idid a lot of fishing for Bronze Whalers back in Adelaide.

No1 bait a fresh squid head the the candles attached, floated under a balloon.

All my fishing was done at night 10-15km offshore and their was always the chance of hooking

a white pointer or a really big bronzie - I was only targeting the little guys 3-4 feet so I used

a metre of 90lbs wire and fairly light hooks - So if a big guy took it I wouldnt could just bust it off.

2 Most important pieces of equipment a good gaff and a solid mallet.

As soon as the shark is gaffed wack it on the nose as hard as you can to kill it even if its a small one

Its better to loose it then have it in the boat.

They can flex their bodies around to bite you if your holding its tale in an instant and go completely

nuts on the boat floor and you'll find your self standing on the transom or the cabin roof.

Never targeted the big ones - just hammers & bronzies upto 5 feet, in a 16 footer at night

How far under a float(balloon) should the bait be and what size hooks are the safest for up to 8ft sharks?

much bigger than 5 foot would be to risky as you might use the gear to hook a big one hook

a really big one and sometimes they just come upto the boat with no fight and you wouldnt want 400lbs

wire trace wrapped around the prop with 10 feet + of angry shark heading for the bottom

Off a beach or wharf the size of the shark doesnt really matter - as you can always

get out of the way

Shark fishing is fun though

Jason