Finally, I Join The Club

ophet

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must of looked at that king picture 100 times now and i gotta say for the second time...that is one sweet looking king mate............

Make sure it goes into the FOTM comp...i think it will be very hard to beat

Thanks guys for your congratulations and kind words. I am glad you enjoyed the report, I took care to write the report as I wanted to give a good account of the experience and the fight the fish provided.

I was stoked when I caught the fish, and am still on a high, the experience of fighting the fish was like nothing else. I have caught 35kg Yellowfin Tuna before, but that fight was more laborious, whereas this King was just a brawler and kept me on my toes the whole time. I hope some of you guys will get to experience such a feeling one day, you will remember it for as long as you live.

:icon_peace::icon_peace::drool::1worthy::1worthy::drool::icon_peace:

Bloody well done !

I t will be a long time for me untill i can get out and afford to jig for kings!

My sons braces will have to be paid for etc etc etc lol luckilly i know the orthodontist ! :P

The harbour will have to do!

I am in awe

cheers

jason!

Thanks Jason, my advice is not to start jigging. Getting the right gear, and then the jigs can become pricey, especially if the leather jackets show up.

When I heard of that capture I think the whole of Sydney heard me shout for joy!!! :1worthy::1worthy::1worthy:

I can't think of anyone more deserving. Now you just have to crack 20kgs. I am trying for my 4th so this will be another milestone for both of us to look forward to.

I think the jigging bug has really caught on with our little band of hoodlum hunters. It seems like the "proper" way a hoodlum should be caught. I'll place a plaque on your place on the Noble. Looking forward to the next few months !! Cheers Kelvin

Thanks Kelvin, if I crack the 20kgs the whole of Australia will hear me shouting !!!

Jigging certainly puts you in the frame for the bigger fish, and I was always confident I would get my first hood jigging. It is hard work though, you have your good and bad days. Sometimes you put a lot of effort into the jigging, and you only score one or two medium sized fish all day. But the fight on a jig is fantastic, and you somehow feel like you have earned the fish, when jigging.

I too am very much looking to the coming months, big Kings and YFT !!!

:thumbup:

:thumbup::yahoo:

BIG congrats to u mate, thats WELL deserved awesome NEW PB for u now...

well done again

steve

Thanks Steve, I smashed my PB which was 82cm before the hood. I caught an 85cm fish with Kelvin the first time I went out with him, but that does not count, cause it is like cheating when going fishing with Kelvin.

Well done Ophet - I knew that hardcore overnight training in the harbour last weekend would pay off for you!

G'day Steve, welcome to the site. That was one uncomfortable night, we did well to score some Kings in the end. I am glad you and the bro managed to take a King home each. Hopefully you will be able to get out on the water more often, and get stuck into the Kings as well.

Wow that is a King of a life time mate, great read and report and most importantly great fish. Just a quick question what reel is a thunnus???

Cheers

The Thunnus is a Shimano Baitrunner style reel. The model I have is the 16000F, and I like the feel of the reel and it does perfectly for jigging. I can't yet justify getting a Stella, so this was my substitute - I saw Kelvin's Thunnus and he recommended me using it for jigging. Because of the bait runner functionality on the reel, it is also a nice reel to downrig with.

I don't think they make them anymore, but I think you can find some people selling them or can still get them from overseas. Ask Red the resident reel expert (from this website) about the reels, I believe he rates them as well.

Wow that is a King of a life time mate, great read and report and most importantly great fish. Just a quick question what reel is a thunnus???

Cheers

The Thunnus is a Shimano Baitrunner style reel. The model I have is the 16000F, and I like the feel of the reel and it does perfectly for jigging. I can't yet justify getting a Stella, so this was my substitute - I saw Kelvin's Thunnus and he recommended me using it for jigging. Because of the bait runner functionality on the reel, it is also a nice reel to downrig with.

I don't think they make them anymore, but I think you can find some people selling them or can still get them from overseas. Ask Red the resident reel expert (from this website) about the reels, I believe he rates them as well.

congradulations 445f!

I'm still trying

Keep trying barrykrocker, I heard you did alright on the jig last time you were out with Kelvin. You never know when the big one is going to jump on your jig.

WELL DONE !! That is one hell of a king !

You are one lucky man - especially when your wife lets you out fishing every week ! :1fishing1:

Wish I was that lucky

Thanks baitfish, I know I am pretty lucky. Also getting the fishing bug out of my system, before the little ones arrive, who knows how much time I will have then... The way I see it, if they love you, they would let you go fishing :biggrin2: That's the excuse I use.

Edited by 445F

Well done again mate - if you don't get fish of the month you will at least get the Pulitzer for that report

Cheers Andrew, you are next to join the Hood club.

great read & great fish :thumbup: well done mate

you know this will only fuel the burning desire to get an even bigger hood.

I know, I know, I am itching to get out there amongst them again. It is going to be hard to beat, but I am going to try :biggrin2:

I saw how long the post was so I skipped straight to the photo :1yikes: I knew it must have been a goodie.

Then I read the post. :biggrin2:

That is one nice fish there and will keep you in tucka for a while.

Nice report and congrats on the fish

Loved the story. When does the DVD come out !!!

Cheers

Greg

I saw how long the post was so I skipped straight to the photo :1yikes: I knew it must have been a goodie.

Then I read the post. :biggrin2:

That is one nice fish there and will keep you in tucka for a while.

Nice report and congrats on the fish

Loved the story. When does the DVD come out !!!

Cheers

Greg

Thanks Greg, glad you enjoyed the read.

I couldn't believe how thick and heavy the fillets are !!! I had a quarter of the fish at my brother's place last night, and it tasted like any other King. There was no difference in texture or taste, due to the fish's size.

More of the fish will be eaten tonight with the in-law, and I will distribute the rest of the fish to my family at the end of the week. So, unfortunately when you have a big family, nice fish don't last so long. But I love sharing the fish with family and friends, as the ALL love eating such fresh and sweet tasting fish.

Ha ha, I wish I could make a living out of fishing, however I don't think a DVD on a single fish over 1mtre will be enough to feed the family.

Cheers.

Edited by 445F