Boat Lights

thereddragon

I have used a couple of different bright hand held lights (like the one in pic), and it seems to only make the vision worse... The only reason i carry those lights at night is to look for buoys of crab nets... I usually go by the reflections off the water and my knowledge of the river system to navigate at night...not to mention waterways markers. I dont believe that headlights will show anything under the water, such as a log or rock. Just make sure you know the area like the back of your hand before you go out at night. By the way, you can pick up the lights at bias or watto and huey may even supply them.

untitled1.bmp

I've often wondered the same thing mate. I fish the Hawkesbury mostly, and do dodge logs on occassions. After rain like we are having at the mo, it becomes more important to keep a look out. I normally only come home in the dark, and of late have had the moon reflection to keep an eye out, but its always on my mind driving at night.

Id be interested to hear other peoples stories, but i have found that using a touch does make it harder to see.

We drive at night quite frequently out of Akuna Bay down to Americas / Refuge Bay in the dark. One thing - dont trust your gps!!!! even if it is only out by 5 meters that can put you on rocks.

Knowledge of the water helps but most importantly - have a spotter watching the area directly in front of the bow (a powerful torch helps) and go slowly... Make sure your nav lights are working.

There can be large logs / plastic bags / debris on the surface that will cause you issues if you get lazy.

Not to mention the fisho that died driving into one of the pylons on the railway bridge in recent years...

When no moon is out it can be quite eerie cruising around on the water.

I have used a couple of different bright hand held lights (like the one in pic), and it seems to only make the vision worse... The only reason i carry those lights at night is to look for buoys of crab nets... I usually go by the reflections off the water and my knowledge of the river system to navigate at night...not to mention waterways markers. I dont believe that headlights will show anything under the water, such as a log or rock. Just make sure you know the area like the back of your hand before you go out at night. By the way, you can pick up the lights at bias or watto and huey may even supply them.

untitled1.bmp

You mentioned that you have used a couple of different bright hand held lights. Did you notice any difference in the visibility performance, ie did you get more visibility using more candle light or when using low candle light?

i use a large yellow fog light works verry well and wont blind other boaters on the water ....

Have you used a white light before using a large yellow fog light?

yes i have used a spot light on other boats , they work ok .... but they tend to blind other boaters on the water when you are face to face with them ,,,,i find the fog light is much better and when the fog rolls in it cuts the fog and can see much better..i have a 150w fog light on the frount of the boat verry handy for night can still see in to the water ,,,,,,,

You mentioned that you have used a couple of different bright hand held lights. Did you notice any difference in the visibility performance, ie did you get more visibility using more candle light or when using low candle light?

The brighter the light the harder it was to see...