Fishing Hamilton Island

bbenny

Hi Guys,

It looks like my brother and I have run into some luck, in the way of a friend working up there and offering us some free accomodation for a week! and considering flights arent too bad we are off!

Anyway Ive never been there and of course its going to be all about the beach and fishing! We will probably organise a charter trip, but being on a tight budget would love to spend some time spinning landbase for whatever we can!

Has anyone been and done something similar? If so what species should we be aiming for and what gear to take?

Any advice or ideas is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi Guys,

It looks like my brother and I have run into some luck, in the way of a friend working up there and offering us some free accomodation for a week! and considering flights arent too bad we are off!

Anyway Ive never been there and of course its going to be all about the beach and fishing! We will probably organise a charter trip, but being on a tight budget would love to spend some time spinning landbase for whatever we can!

Has anyone been and done something similar? If so what species should we be aiming for and what gear to take?

Any advice or ideas is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ben.

Hey Ben It's Lawrie . iv'e been ther a few times. and you can forget land based fishing on hamilton island because there ain't any , only fish you catch is on charter and it's normally a fair way from there. but hire yourself a golf buggy and hit the roads there very hilly and you will get very thirsty hope you like a drink. the swimming pools are great and the party life is great after dark. trust me ,you won't have time for to much fishing. enjoy your holiday. Lawrie .,

G'day mate , was there at chrissy 06 and did a charter on a 7mtr inboard cuddy aluminium

pissing rain and windy anchored up at a few spots and caught 1 coral trout 1kg and 2 sweetlip

Moved around alot (after about 10 mins each spot).pretty ordinary i thought.

anyway the small tinnys for hire seem pretty good , saw 2 boats come in 1/2 day

with a good mixed bag, just anchor off the drop offs near the islands :beersmile:

enjoy keenas

• 2 weeks later...

G'day mate , was there at chrissy 06 and did a charter on a 7mtr inboard cuddy aluminium

pissing rain and windy anchored up at a few spots and caught 1 coral trout 1kg and 2 sweetlip

Moved around alot (after about 10 mins each spot).pretty ordinary i thought.

anyway the small tinnys for hire seem pretty good , saw 2 boats come in 1/2 day

with a good mixed bag, just anchor off the drop offs near the islands :beersmile:

enjoy keenas

Great thanks!

Yeah hiring out a tinny sounds like a good plan! Cant wait :)

Hey Ben,

Just got back from Hamilton Island , went fishing with rengade charters , cost me $160 great blokes awsome boat , a new 38ft steber ,we caught 3 4kg coral trout ant a 15kg spanish mackeral it was really good, land base not much around I herd! :beersmile:

Ben -

Land based is a bit of a challenge around Hamilton, although you can get flatties on soft plastics on Cateye Beach (the only beach).

Tinny hire is a good option and you dont have to go to far to catch a few fish. I got a couple of coral trout and some other reef dwellers without to much trouble.

Did not take the charter as they were handline only, but this may have changed.

If all else fails hire a buggy and drive out to the shooting range and you can blast away on 357magnum (make my day style). Its nearly as good as fishing

John

Went up there last year with some mates and did 2 charters one with renegade which was hand line only...... really crap wouldnt go with them again and the other with MARLIN BLUE based at airlie beach and it was fantastic. went again with them this year, the fish werent biting but the skipper (Ken ) was working like a dog to put us on to them. Fantastic boat and skipper.

Josh

Edited by hooked

I have also fished on Marlin Blue with Ken.

Very nice boat and he knows where to go.

He is an excellent skipper.

We fished hand lines in some "holes" and got reds and coral trout.

We then trolled for tuna, spotted mackerel and small marlin with garies and lures.

The main fishing grounds are a fair way away from the island.

It is a very beautiful place.

We were picked up from the island we were stayin on and dropped off at the end of the day.

I fished off the island quite a bit but with not a lot of success. Mainly small reef stuff.

Cheers

Mike

Hey Ben,

Just got back from Hamilton Island , went fishing with rengade charters , cost me $160 great blokes awsome boat , a new 38ft steber ,we caught 3 4kg coral trout ant a 15kg spanish mackeral it was really good, land base not much around I herd! :beersmile:

yeah how good is jason's new boat, all we got was smelly cuda and undersize emp! ah well.

so you did good well done.bfore. ben give renegade a go you will be impressed

skip even lets you bring your own rod. they have handlines for the reef stuff

but 10kg rods for an hour long troll in 100mtrs + here's some pics!

skipper jason holding cuda!

..cheers!..stevo!.. (p.s enjoy your trip and hook into em!)

marina farthest east at night has sweetlip, mowie and trout but only tourists can get away with it SHHHHHHHH!

post-2889-1182667783_thumb.jpg

post-2889-1182667848_thumb.jpg

post-2889-1182667914_thumb.jpg

post-2889-1182667969_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishguts

I fished at hamilton on a boat called bullet, cost was $100pp and we got coral trout, flower cod and spanish mackeral around 15kg.Crew was great, most of the boats up there use handlines though.

I heard that if you can get yourself to whitehaven beach golden and giant trevalley can be spun up off the beach.

Attached is picture of trout missus caught

I fished at hamilton on a boat called bullet, cost was $100pp and we got coral trout, flower cod and spanish mackeral around 15kg.Crew was great, most of the boats up there use handlines though.

I heard that if you can get yourself to whitehaven beach golden and giant trevalley can be spun up off the beach.

Also while snorkelling off cateye beach i grabbed a whole squid out of a coral trouts mouth around that little island.

Also while snorkelling off cateye beach i grabbed a whole squid out of a coral trouts mouth around that little island.