Lures In Muddy Water

james1990

Hi guys

I tried using a few small metals and a popper around bare island in botany yesterday and i was really surprised i didnt get anything.

I also used a berkly 5" stick bait sp around the oil wharf for only a small hit.

The water was really dirty, would the dirty water have an effect on my catch rate, and was it really worth throwing the lures around?

I noticed that my hookup rate was very low compared to when the water was clean.

cheers james

hey james

i have heard that for dirty water lures with a rattle/scent will work better , because of the lack of visibility

some people say murky water - use bright lures, other say use dark... :wacko:

suppose trial and error is the only real way to find out though

Rob

rattle and/or scent.

both bright and dark have worked for me, although most effective bright colours have been with poppers. i think the darker colours portray a silhouette of a bait fish in such murky water to predators.

Cheers

Davy

hey, i think casting metals around may have been a bit of a waste of time because no light would make it to them so they wouldnt be reflecting and glittering etc... I used to do a lot of plastics fishing up in the clarence river and the water was different every time i went up there depending on the rain they had had, in really murky conditions though i found that darker colours got the most hits, i guess because it silhouettes (no idea how to spell that) against the back ground. Next was crazy flouro colours...

I never got around to experimenting with rattles or scents but i rekon they would make a huge difference...