Hawkesbury

inhlanzi

The Old Hawkesbury is a Dangar ous BROWN and dirty place at the moment.

On Monday ( thinking that the Jewies may fovour the brown water) I launched before dawn to be greeted by a few yachts on and next too the boat ramp. What the?

As I got into the channel I could not believe what I was seeing - islands of debris

Went to Gunyah and was repeatedly bumped an pushed by tree stumps. Packed up and went over to Elanors and that was even worse. Went on to Iron Pot and there were large floating islands of flotsum in the water. When they moved towards you, you had to lift anchor, and move away.

The water smelled like a recently ploughed field...amazing. Lots of floating Pumpkins and even a red (not so) inflatable, bamboo poles and jetty posts

So then I tried Juno in all directions...hmmmmm very strange currents and eddies indeed. Various good fresh cut baits were coming back untouched after half an hour in the water. Bait jigs untouched??? What the %&$##*

Through the day saw at least five boats of different sizes come up and down the river and drive straight into the debris field. What the? Could not believe what I was seeing. I dont know if they didn't see the debris or they didn't know or they just didn't care!!!!! But it was an amazing sight to see -+ 4000/5000 rpm to zero in 1 sec - not good for an engine

When there is stuff in the water like that you don't want to be going more than 10 knts. I reckon there are some stuffed props and cracked transoms after Monday.

Anyway what really got to me was at the top of the RUN IN tide at Juno the bow was facing the point. What the????? THE TIDE WAS STILL GOING OUT!!!

Got very grumpy threw my toys and proceeded to take a very slow dodgy drive back to Parsley through the debris fields.

On the way back I come across another casualty - two blokes in a hire tinny that had "Um the motor just stopped" and they were paddling to shore.

Then coming into the Bay was a very sad sight ... to see all those yachts stacked against the rocks and one of them sunk at the breakwall - feel really sorry for the owners - hope they are insured and the insurance companies dont find some excuse not to pay out.

My suggeston for the Hawkwesbury is to give it a wide berth for at least week or two. You may catch something (a cold or a treestump) but you will more than likely stuff your prop or your motor.

So thankfully there is good golf on TV this weekend and if you need to catch up on some boat and tackle maintenance - DO THAT instead of fishing in the Hawkesbury

cheers

inhlanzi

PS First time I have ever gone out for the whole day and not caught a single ( not even a tailor or a yakka ) fish!!!!

Ahhh yes - but just think what will happen when the river finally stops flowing and the first high tide manages to push its way in?

There must be a lot of Hawkesbury fish holding down deep in cover and waiting for the run to slow so they can get out and amongst it.

thanks for the report inhlanzi :(

i was just about to hook the boat up and fish tonights high tide for that big elusive jewie, i'll just wait another week and watch the mighty rabbits smash manly tonight instead. :thumbup:

Better off taking the boat out, Mightly Manly will take put it all over the bunnies.

cheers

Kiwi Dan

(who has drummers instead of cheerleaders anyway!!)

I was on the other side of the river (road bridge, Bar pt etc) on Monday too.

It was like the racing cars warming their tyres up - swerving from side to side & the force of the current :1yikes: - we too couldnt believe there was no "turn" amazing.

We too got a BIG FAT ZERO!!!!!

Mooney Mooney boat ramp was reduced to one lane as the other side of the pontoon had a massive stack of logs, bamboo etc.