Transducer Size

Nick3

Now that I have sorted the sounder out I thought I will throw this

questoin up in the air.

I know you need a 1kw tranducer for when you get to deep for the 600 tranducer but do you still get a better result with a 1kw transducer in shallower water say 100m or less?

Does it give you better bottom composition readings or is it not worth

the extra money for shallow water readings.

What do you guys think?

Cheers Nick

From what i know...where i could be wrong.......The 1kw transducer will give you more accurate readings at a depth of 100 metres.....it will pick up little drops ofs and rises that a 600w wont becuase it has more power....its like lifting the gain......you have a another 400 watts of power you can use

Nick

dont be to concerned regards the 1kwt transducer in shallower water either switch to the lower

power setting on your sounder and or adjust the gain down to suit the depth of water its much

better to have that power on tap when required than not to have it

Regards Steve :thumbup:

Hi there,

Apparently the Boston Whaler Outrage only has capacity for a 600KW transducer as they dont like to punch through the hull to fix the 1KW model.

Seems very strange considering this is a fishing rig!

Where is the optimal position to fix a 1kw transducer?

Cheerio

Andrew

Andrew

Strange that 600 watts is all they are prepared to accomodate for particulary when a lot of fish'oes

are opting for 3 kwt transducers these days however i know a few mates who have there 1kwt transducers affixed to sliding and adjustable transom mounted brackets a simple and easy enough and straight forward fitting is all that is required they work really good my transducer is a through hull with a fairing block and works really good maybe bostan

accomodate for these types of things when factory ordered as opposed to off the boat yard

cheers steve :thumbup:

Hey Steve,

Yeah we thought it was strange. 3kwt seems alot of power - how deep are these fisho's fishing?

This is a factory fitout - fairing block and fitting. For the 1kw unit the fairing block is quite large - imagine the size of the block on a 3kwt!

what size are you running and how do you find it?

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I am just about to install the Airmar 1kW transom mount (just waiting for a dry weekend to do the work!) to replace my old 600W model. It is matched to the FCV-585, an awesome sounder fyg.

It has a stainless bracket mounted to the transom with a height adjustable and removable leg. I have heard good things about it... and maybe it is the same setup that Steve referred to. The Furuno and Airmar websites both have details on the setup.

There is a company in NZ and maybe one here in Oz that are making brackets to install this permanently to the transom if that suits better.

Also I think you mentioned in another thread you will have the boat on a trailer at some stage?... Not sure about the difficulties with a though hull install on a trailer boat, but it may be something to consider.

Just my 2c worth.... hope it helps

Steve

Hi Steve,

Will look into a transom mount and the FCV-585.

We ended up going for a slightly bigger boat and wont be trailering her. We decided to Rack and stack instead --- but I will have to check that this is no issue as well - good idea.

Thanks for the help raiders as always.

Cheers

Andrew

Andy

not 100% sure but i think the actuall size or the fairiing block doesnt change in regards to the 3kwt

mine is 1kwt which i use a lot to read the bottom at brown's mountain it reads no differant

than what you can read at say long reef at 50mtrs there awesome thourghly reccomend one :thumbup:

but not cheap have to weigh justification up regards the deep water usage

Cheers Steve

Thanks Steve,

Just spoke to the manufacturer and the shipwright (no way we are going to install this ourselves on a new boat) and it seems there is no issue mounting the 1kw transducer and fairing block.

The Whaler has a purpose built wooden block in the hull to drill through and mount a through hull transducer. The dealer didnt know this - amazing what the internet can turn up with a bit of investigative work!.

At this stage considering the Navman 8084 despite some criticism of their cheaper models...

The combo unit definitely has some plusses...

Cheers

Andrew

Andy

That sounds like one nice boat you are getting i really don't want to confuse you

in regards to the choice of sounder but further up the track i would'nt like you to be

dissapointed and regrete it but i would just like to say to you that the most mentioned

fact with my mates who have a furuno is the ability of the sounder to read what the transducer

is relaying, there have got the two units so perfectly matched with each other that the discrimination

is second to none, so before you fully decide on your sounder option could you have one more look around it could end up turning out to be cheaper than you think....................................

Cheers Steve. :thumbup:

Andy I had the same problem as the dealer I was getting my boat from

was a Navman dealer.So I was swayed that way from the start and I was

that close to purchasing a Navman.

But at the end I realised it's my boat my money and I will get what I bloody

well want. :biggrin2:

Trust me I am not having a go at the dealer because thats what he sells and

it seems like a nice unit.I just had a bit of a niggling feeling that I might be disappointed.

Cheers Nick

Just installed a furuno fcv585 and 1kw transom mount transducer. Yet to test her in real deep (200+m) but so far is amazing. Was working perfectly last sunday at 15+ knots in over 100m and that was in very crappy conditions (even picked up some good reds to prove it :)).

I would definately be steering towards furuno, had some others and nothing came close to furuno at this stage. All i need now is some good weather to get wide and test it.

Rod

Sorry other info was it only set me back just over 2k

Word of mouth is a powerful thing isnt it!

The fvv585 look great but am I correct in thinking you will need two screens - one for fishfinder and one for GPS (should you want to run both...)

Looks like the next constraint is room to flush mount the screens in the console.

Working on it - will keep you posted.

All your info is really appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Andrew

Andy,

You can only display basic data on the FCV-585 screen, speed/distance/bearing, waypoint data, tracking error etc, no plotting as such I believe. Provided you interface it with your GPS also.

You are right about room, it is a BIG unit. I have a (smallish) CC as well, it takes up a lot of space.

cheers

Have decided on the Navman 8085 - at the end of the day the Furuno was 3 mm too large to fit in the console!!!

I am sure we will not be dissappointed - mated to a 1kw transducer it will do everything we need and then some!

Thank you to all for your advice and for sharing experiences with us.

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Andrew