Pittwater Jew Sesion Sat Night

roosterman

hi guys,

well after all this lovely weather and the hawksbury getting a good flush out i was itching to get out and sort out this cabin fever thats been drivin me mad... as the weather was not the best and a half dead battery :ranting2: bloody dodgy charger, i decided to stay close and fish around mackeral beach area to west head. got enough livies from mackeral in 10 min so was looking like a good night ahead.. was not many boats out as carpark was empty but there was one other boat i saw nearby,dont know how he went.. well i fished from 8pm till the turn of the tide for one massive tailor lost as he bit through trace as i was about to net it :1badmood: . also a couple of shovelnose and banjo sharks.. the banjo was caught on my bream gear with 1/0 and pilly cube,took me about 7 or 8 min to get him to the light and bugger :( oh well was fun anyway, he was roughly 100cm on 12lb mono..

the strangest thing was these parasitic bugs that would demolish and cover my livies if too close to bottom in what only seemed like a couple minutes [must be related to pirranahs] sorry no pics as phone cam no good at night,might have to get myself a cheap camera for the boat. anyway pulled the pin after tide changed and thankfully motor kicked over no probs and headed home. conditions were a little windy at times and the odd spit of sky juice but my thermals and numerous layers of gear kept me warm.. i also used this great scarf roberta gave me at the social up forster :thumbup: thanks roberta worked a treat so simple yet so brilliant..

no jew but was good to get out on the water and wet a line anyway....

cheers ......steve...................

Unlucky about the jews but they shouldn't be to far away.

It must have been good to get out and wet a line after all of this bad weather.

I think there was a post a while back about similar bugs that would attack livies at night.

Hi Steve

Shame about the jewies not co-operating, but :1clap: for perserverance!! Shame about the tailor getting off! Not fair. Some folk reckon the shovel nose sharks are good eating??! I have always tossed them back.

Get that charger problem sorted .... sooon .... don't want to get caught out in big seas with out an engine! Think Safety!

I am getting sick of the Sky Juice myself ..... having big withdrawal symptoms! Not only the weather, but the fish as well! It is raining steadily as we speak. I was hoping to get out in my yak to search for some weed, but it won't be today!!

So glad the scarf kept your little neck & ears warm .... the upgraded version with the flaps works even better!!

Cheerio for now - better luck next time!

Roberta

the strangest thing was these parasitic bugs that would demolish and cover my livies if too close to bottom in what only seemed like a couple minutes [must be related to pirranahs] sorry no pics as phone cam no good at night,might have to get myself a cheap camera for the boat.

cheers ......steve...................

Its funny you mention these parasitic bugs, when we were at the social at the Entrance, I caught an undersized bream and it had two of them bugs firmly entrenched on the tail fin. They seemed to be eating it alive. I ripped them off(with some effort) and tossed the little fella back in.

What are they??

I have only seen them that one time!

Cheers

Stumpy

Its funny you mention these parasitic bugs, when we were at the social at the Entrance, I caught an undersized bream and it had two of them bugs firmly entrenched on the tail fin. They seemed to be eating it alive. I ripped them off(with some effort) and tossed the little fella back in.

What are they??

Cheers

Stumpy

Hi stumpy, they're isopods - just click on the link in my last post to see a pic.

Flattieman.

What are they??

Cheers

Stumpy

Sorry Flattieman, just saw your post, these bugs were firmly attached to the outside of the fish!

I've seen the little bastards inside fish like yakkas

Sorry Flattieman, just saw your post, these bugs were firmly attached to the outside of the fish!

I've seen the little bastards inside fish like yakkas

Yeah, mate - they attach themselves in the mouth or stomach or on the outside of the fish - their evil little limbs are well designed to penetrate and cling to any kind of flesh.

Flattieman.

Those evil bait-stealing bugs sounds like those discussed here, roosterman:

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...=18571&st=0

Hope you nail some jewies soon - I lost one off the beach the other day that would've gone 15kg + :mad3::thumbdown:

Flattieman.

hi flattyman, i remembered reading that a while ago and i dont think yhey were "doctors" the white things ive seen when i have caught blackfish,yakkas etc.. i thought those type got in fish as eggs/larvae and grew up eating what the fish ate and not harming the host mostly.and living in gill region.... these on the other hand were in the zillions and like said in that post were litterally dripping from the fish..mainly gut/head cavity on the one that was only couple mins in water but previously neary whole yakka and slimey... they looked very similar... wish i thought to keep one for id purpose,maybe nextime,hope not though :1prop: ......

hi roberta, like i said before :thumbup: for that scarf,helped heaps to keep me warm.... was great to get out there and losing that huge tailor at the net well thats fishing win some lose some........ i tried shovelnose once down 7 mile beach near geroa when spur of moment camping trip left all food behind so lucky i caught some fish and it tasted :puke: could of been preparation though.... all fish [sharks] were released and one self released tailor :1prop: ..... was great fun with the banjo on light bream gear, and the patterns on them look nice.. the rains returned here also but tides look so great for jews... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

if i didnt have good work ethics id be feeling a littls sick for a few days :1fishing1: im mean sickies.....

i know guys thats not the real aussie spirit but i am at work now getting payed ot to write this :1prop: ...

cheers for now....steve......