Boat Heater

Nolongeramember

Im looking for a small gas outdoor type heater I can take out with me on the boat. Anyone know of any and where I can get it? Thanks for any help...

Trying to keep the GF happy haha.

Unless you have a large deck and a very stable boat and only run deisel don't put a camping gas heater on a boat ever. They are a naked flame and too easy to tip over and can provide so much locaklized heat they can directly scorch and harden glass boats.

Gas is heavier than air so any leak or if the flame goes out you end up with a bilge full of flamable gas.

If GF means girlfriend not grandfather I'm sure more clothes , thermals or a thicker rug are a better option or even think of those pocket warmers from camping stores.

Webasto and a few others do proper heaters for boats and many others are availiable via the USA.

Last option is if you run a inboard as we used to we had a pipe off the manifold (glind make them for 4WD camping) and then a hose from it and nothing was nicer in the wetsuit than warm water. Not as relevant now with drysuits but always amazed us how even holding the hose warmed you upa few degrees.

Do a search "Some Warm Winter Gear For The Hairtail Social" as one of the sponsors is doing 20% off. He also sells gas heaters but I would only use them on land.

Cuddle with one arm and leave the other free for the rod!!!

Edited by pelican

Im looking for a small gas outdoor type heater I can take out with me on the boat. Anyone know of any and where I can get it? Thanks for any help...

Trying to keep the GF happy haha.

ide love to quote chopper reed here, but being a family forum ill give it a miss...

as posted, a gas seater of the type you are thinking of is a really bad idea, have a think about getting some thermals and good clothing, you will be amazed at the difference it makes ;)

I think an inverter would work, turn 12volts into 240volts and

use an electric heater of some suitable discription.

I've never done this with a heater, but it works with lights and

small fridges.

penguin

small fridges.

penguin

Not sure but i think it would drain too much of a drain on the battery.Electric heaters use a lot of power.

Most of the cheaper inverters can produce around 600-800w max.A small electric heater could be anywhere from 750-2000w

Cold nights i go with the double beanie, double sock....but have been known to have my hands and/or feet over the camping stove in hairtail season.

Stove is great for ripping up some hot choc aswell.

It would be more economic to get a small 12v heater. Even if it blows just warm air.. An invterer would most likely die within the firt attempt as the current draw is too great. You would need atleast a 1000W and PURE sinewave. Heating elements suck alot of ampres.

Pete.

small fridges.

penguin

Small boats and 240 volts don't mix. Unless your boat is big enough to be wired professionally for shore power with safety switch etc so you could run a generator safely just don't put 240 volt inverters on boats. 90% of equipment like computers etc don't run on 240 in any case and you can buy all stuff for 12 or 24 volts.

If electric style blanket is the go then go for one of the heating pads they use when propogating plants outdoors or in greenhouses. At least they were designed to get wet/ Haven't seen them in Aust but have seen 12 volt dog electric blankets overseas. Dog owners obviously don't like fried pooch. They will still draw a lot of amps!!!!

I still think that realistically that if you can't access or afford the correct clothes ( good quality sailing gear to keep dry and thermals to keep warm) then you are tempting fate as you are relying on artificial heat which will be unreliable. Sure it will make it more comfortable while it works but don't rely on it.

Quality clothing the way to go and you can use it away from the boat as well.