Brisbane Waters

Ray R

Hi Raiders, well we started off early sunday about 6:30am headed to the top of Paddy's Channel and the surroundind areas. we threw little squidgys, berkley jerk shads, berkley worms everything we had at the water for zippo, then at about 10:00am we pumped a few nippers and drifted in the dirty water around Half Tide Rocks, for zippo. Then my good mate Hutcho and I were about to give it away after we had drifted all the way down to Ettalong when we finally got a nice bream 30cms, so we drifted back over the spot and got a nice flattie 45cms, the next couple of drifts saw 3 beautiful big fat whiting come into the boat they were between 31 and 35 cms. So we finally found the fish all taken on nippers all along the sand flat at Ettalong, all in the last hour of our fishing trip, 2 to 3 in the arvo. So keep trying in the murky water , the fish are there, even if, like us , it takes nearly all day to find them.. Ray R and Hutcho... :thumbup:

well done on the fish good to see u got something. . . was the first spot

that u went to the spot i described to u couple of months back???

well done though on the fish.

regards mark

Yep, pretty sure that was it , top of Paddys near the oyster racks...

shame you didnt get anything although i have only fished bait there. . . it is usually

a very reliable spot and we usually manage a few fish in the bag. i will be up there

next week and will fish it i will let u know of anything we catch there. . . sorry it let

you down ray.

regards mark

Well done Ray!

I've never found paddy's channel all that productive, unless you are fishing at night..

BUT If you go around the corner a little towards saratoga, on a outgoing tide, and drift towards the sandflats there at the top of paddy's channel, rigged for whiting, you can usually get a good catch. Just be careful not to hit the sand bank, it's very soft (from experience).

We did find a hole about 60m off the shore at Koolewong, we used the restaurant (we call it the taj mahal) there as our marker. Berley up, and use bait, we found that the best was strips of mullet. Many a cold winter morning spent there, and we have always come out with enough for a good feed.

Down at Ettalong at the sandflats I have found always productive for flatties, bream and whiting, even small tailor (in the deeper channel).. If you want flatties, on the outgoing tide, start about 30m out from the Ferry wharf, and drift towards the top of the sandflat, and stay try to stay on the beach side of the sandbank, there are nice holes sitting right on the edge, and the flatties sit in them, waiting for the food to come of the sandflat. I usually bounce SP's along the bottom, just using the tide to give the SP enough action. The faster the tide the better. If you have an electric motor it is perfect, as you can position yourself along the edge, right along the flats. Just be careful of the odd wave breaking through there on an outgoing tide. The weed beds on the other side of the sandflats, on the other side of the channel work well with SP's bouncing them through the weed, but you have to rig your hook correctly so it does'nt snag. We have found that peeled prawns, and strips of mullet work well through the flats if the SP's are not getting the hits.

On an incoming tide, you can drift right up into booker bay, good fun, as with each drift you invariably go a different direction, bringing up new spots. Again, an electric motor is ideal.

If it's not to rough, you can head out through half tide rocks and troll along the rocks for tailor mostly, although you might find the odd salmon. You can troll right around past lobster beach, and out along little box head, there is an outcrop there, usually around that you can get squid as well, just have to be careful of the swell.

I have heard of blokes getting Jewies in between the markers and the beach at half tide rocks, but I've never been so lucky.

Have fun,

Luffy.....

If it's not to rough, you can head out through half tide rocks and troll along the rocks for tailor mostly, although you might find the odd salmon. You can troll right around past lobster beach, and out along little box head, there is an outcrop there, usually around that you can get squid as well, just have to be careful of the swell.

Squid around Little Box eh... :thumbup:

Have you ever tried squidding over the kelp up to Box Head? I reckon they would be there.. I am up there this Christmas for a couple of weeks and am keen to try for Kings off Box Head and also Barenjoey.

Cheers

Ceph.

Edited by Ceph

ceph a good inshore spot is around the headland and wharfs on the wagstaff side

plenty to be had there specially at night

Thanks Djmac.. we have always caught the odd one whilst live baiting for Flatties.. never really targetted them up there though. I am looking forward to rediscovering the area with the same techniques we use in Sydney Harbour.

Cheers

C.

shame you didnt get anything although i have only fished bait there. . . it is usually

a very reliable spot and we usually manage a few fish in the bag. i will be up there

next week and will fish it i will let u know of anything we catch there. . . sorry it let

you down ray.

regards mark

Hi Mark 17, e are going out this arvo to the sand flats at Ettalong again to try for some big fat whiting, we'll be out in my mates coast runner 480(quintrex)with our sons. They want to have a fish contest, as 15 year olds do, everythings a contest, gotta beat dad. Might see ya out there one day. P.S. gotta pump yabbies first at about 1:30.. See Ya.. Ray R...