Eastern Avenue - Dover Heights

jim77

I have recently moved house and now live in Eastern Avenue in Dover Heights. Being an avid fisherman i couldn't believe my luck when whilst taking the dog for a walk in the reserve at the end of the road i was greeted by the sight of several people fishing off the cliff!

The most common set up seems to be gang hooked pillies under a big float. I have only had the chance to try it once myself and i sat there for an hour or so but didn't get a bite. The people i have spoken to say that they regularly catch big fish from there including Kingfish. I am sceptical - if only becuase its about 25metres down to the water!

The other day when i was walking i saw one guy with a squid jig attached below his float set up??!!

Can anyone confirm the rumours that it is a good spot to fish... and if it is what is the best set up/state of tide/bait etc. Can you really catch squid with a jig suspended under a float.

Any advice would be much appreciated as i am currently on holidays. As soon as the weather clears a little :1badmood: i'm keen to get out there.

Thanks

Jim

G'day Jim

I feel it is a much easier proposition to use a jig suspended by a float from that sort of height, not only to keep the jig at a resonable position in the water & move it around, but also to prolong the time your jig spends in the water before needing to re cast.

As for cliff fishing, the possibilities only end with a cliff gaff and your imagination.

Tight Lines

Bigfoot

I have recently moved house and now live in Eastern Avenue in Dover Heights. Being an avid fisherman i couldn't believe my luck when whilst taking the dog for a walk in the reserve at the end of the road i was greeted by the sight of several people fishing off the cliff!

The most common set up seems to be gang hooked pillies under a big float. I have only had the chance to try it once myself and i sat there for an hour or so but didn't get a bite. The people i have spoken to say that they regularly catch big fish from there including Kingfish. I am sceptical - if only becuase its about 25metres down to the water!

The other day when i was walking i saw one guy with a squid jig attached below his float set up??!!

Can anyone confirm the rumours that it is a good spot to fish... and if it is what is the best set up/state of tide/bait etc. Can you really catch squid with a jig suspended under a float.

Any advice would be much appreciated as i am currently on holidays. As soon as the weather clears a little :1badmood: i'm keen to get out there.

Thanks

Jim

G'day Jim,

Down your road and to the left there is an area called Diamond Bay. I havn't fished there for a couple of years now but their is a high ledge off to your right and their is a Gully to your left. If you don't want to fish from the cliffs you can climb down the gully it isn't very steep more like bolders bit of a goat track but once down the bottom there is (or was a ladder that goes up about five to ten metres and a track around the cliffs to some good fishing spots. As always be carefull as its a bit of a drop and could be dangerous but many fisherman use it. Around there are some good spots with some low ledges. My Uncle used to always bag up on Blackfish on cabbage weed on the higher tides and we've got everything from Tailor, Kingfish from floating whole garfish out and a mate even got a king once on a three cm frozen whitebait!!! This was in Summer most of our fishing was done. But there are some good spots down ther however do be careful on the lower ledges as the odd freak wave can come in but that is the case in any rock fishing always spend a bit of time watching the spot for a while before you fish there. Also down the rocks of Bondi Golf coarse called the murk is a great Rock spot with all the usual suspects, bream, blackfish kings etc but watchout for flying golfballs as some of Bondi's finest tend to slice their drives your way.

Good luck mate,

Joe

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider, Joe, Bigfoot & Jim! Three first posts in a row!! Is that a record??

SOunds like you are all in a great spot - just be careful with the cliff fishing, specially in these big winds & seas just now.

Happy fishing!

Cheerio

Roberta

welcome guys

u got the right attitude of a fishraider

i've heard rosa gully is a great spot. there's a spot call tumbledown and is apparently is a monster drummer spot

whatever u do, be safe

bertrand

Rock / cliff fishing is always dangerous- don't do it alone.

Watch several times other blokes before you go up and down the ladders etc. You'll see the smart ones lower their gear on a rope so it is just them climbing not with the unbalancing backpack or rods and same on the way up . With the condition of many of the old footpegs and chains some take their own security rope rather than rely on whats there.

We used to absail off coffin rock in Diamond bay and it is abig drop and at times there is a wash at the bottonm that sweeps you straight out not back towards the rocks.

Be very careful and safe.

PS there is no mobile phone reception at the bottom of some cliffs ( depends which way they face) so check that as well as otherwis eyou are stranded.

Edited by pelican

welcome to the site lads.

There is some excellent fishing to be done off the cliffs between south head and bondi.

Float out some baits. fish heavy and burly always helps.

but it claims a lot of people that area. even some friends of mine.

so do be careful.

good luck, and i can't wait to see some monsters being dragged to the top.

Arch