Beach Fishing

frankp

Im taking a week off soon and want to do a different sort of fishing which i have never done before. I want to start using soft plastics and metals off the beaches and just want to get some ideas on what to use and how to use them. Ill hopefully be targeting flathead, bream, salmon and tailor and ill be around marobra unless you guys have some better locations and spots.

any ideas would be appreciated as im a total novice and only use bait when fishing.

hi frank,

whilst i am certainly no expert of the beach/rocks i have had pretty good success with both metal and plastics on salmon, tailor and bream.

Plastics I would not use any thing smaller than 3" in this environment, gulps, slick rigs and flick baits all do the job (flashy and blue is a fav colour). If targeting tailor and salmon work the top water column with energetic whips and flicks. Don't be afraid of a bit of whitewater on some spots this is the only place baitfish can hide. I have caught salmon and tailor casting into the faces of waves. Metals such as lazers or raiders cover more water and are more durable on tailor at least. Bream and flatties are more likely to be found on or near the bottom near structure, for them plastics rule and the retrieve should be slower with pauses ect. Squidgy fish or bass minnows and gulps all take fish.

Remember when beach fishing is look for the gutters with some top cover (whitewater) and on a making tide you should not have any problems. :biggrin2:

Good Luck

BM

• 1 month later...

I've only tried beach fishing on plastics a couple of times and never had any success. I cast and I'm lucky to get it five metres - then it's washing around my feet almost as soon as I've started winding. Then about the fifth cast my eggbeater gets all tangled up. I repeat this process a few times. After the sixth or so tangle I usually spit the dummy, resist the urge to throw the rod the rod at New Zealand, then give up and go back to bait fishing.

What are your suggestions FishRaiders? Am I just rubbish at it? Or am I doing many things majorly wrong? I'm using a 7 foot six inches rod with a Daiwa 4000 size real on 6kg mono line (tho I have tried it on braid- same story)

I've only tried beach fishing on plastics a couple of times and never had any success. I cast and I'm lucky to get it five metres - then it's washing around my feet almost as soon as I've started winding. Then about the fifth cast my eggbeater gets all tangled up. I repeat this process a few times. After the sixth or so tangle I usually spit the dummy, resist the urge to throw the rod the rod at New Zealand, then give up and go back to bait fishing.

What are your suggestions FishRaiders? Am I just rubbish at it? Or am I doing many things majorly wrong? I'm using a 7 foot six inches rod with a Daiwa 4000 size real on 6kg mono line (tho I have tried it on braid- same story)

Sounds like a bigger jighead (& maybe SP) may be the go?

Cheers

I use My SP Bream gear off the beach for Salmon down near Tathra, the beach is fairly steep with fairly deep water close in. Just keep casting and moving along the beach. Sometimes they are in a gutter, other times on a sand flat under the white water. High tide seems better , 3 inch Bass Minnows work well in blue, but try other colours too. Flicking the Sp works well. 1/8 th jig head is enough. Hold On !!!!!

Howard.