Spooling A Reel?

gone_wishin

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help with the correct method to spool a reel? with the aim to reduce line twist.

I remember seeing on TV something about a baitcaster winds line from the top of the reel so you should take line from the top of the spool (if that makes sense).

What do you do for threadlines? and is line twist a issue if you use braid?

As far as I know the line needs to come off in the opposite direction to what it was put on the initial spool it comes on.

For example if it is on the spool clock wise, you need to have it unwinding counter clockwise.

Dan

All the new reels from Shimano, Diawa etc. have anti - line twist mechanisms in the design of the reel and the use of a roller bearing.

I have found no difference in line twist between braid and nylon.

IFS

I have found no difference in line twist between braid and nylon.

Not sure if it is my gear or not but when trolling slices and spoons without swivels mono ends up a bit twisted but braid doesnt.

Dave

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help with the correct method to spool a reel? with the aim to reduce line twist.

I remember seeing on TV something about a baitcaster winds line from the top of the reel so you should take line from the top of the spool (if that makes sense).

What do you do for threadlines? and is line twist a issue if you use braid?

i find that the correct way is having the new spool of line turned the right way up with the label on the top so that it feeds out anti clockwise. your eggbeater spools line in the opposite way, clockwise.

sometimes the label finishes up on the wrong side in the factory due to volume and qual control so it pays to allow for that.

what i do to test that possibilty is to use a longer rod for the eggbeater, spool on a few meters and drop the rod tip down to the floor feeding line back out as i go. If it starts to twist i turn the new spool upside down, test it again and it shoud be ok. if it's not the, line is not worth using as either the memory is wrong or it's a second or if it's a cheap and nasty anyway.

what i do then is place the new spool of line in a bucket of cold water and particularly so with braid and then spoil it on . it goes on tight and spools on terrific when wet and i highly recommend this method every time on either mono or braid.

i use a uni or whatever i fancy to start the line on the reel, but i always put on a half hitch at each end of the spool to avoid any direct strain on the knot.

i never tie braid directly on to the spool. i always using a mono backing and to judge that i get 200 metres only of braid on to a full spool i spool the braid on 1st to a spare reel, then the mono and then spool it all back onto the main reel and presto it finishes up with the correct amount of braid on and a perfectly full spool !

oh by the way i use a longer rod to spool up as well to save being drenched with fine sprays of water from a fast moving spool in a bucket of water.

jewgaffer.

fish on. :1fishing1:

Guest MRS WATTO

How much are those?

And can they fit a game spool of braid or mono on them?

IFS

Yes they can fit both.

Fishraider special $12.00

We also can post them out for $7.00

ay Fellas ,

Here we Go Goner! , My Infallible method for winding on line .

Never Had line twist yet!!.

Mick

Hi Owzat, can you explain what it is and how you use it? I can't figure out what the bottle is for?

post-2011-1183415485_thumb.jpg

ANOTHER IDEA

Claudia, I just got one of those last week when I was in Japan, it cost me more than $12.

Just shows our sponsors look after us.

How would recommend using it? would you have the line comming off the top of the spool (so it unwinds in an anticlockwise direction) for a baitcaster and the opposite for an egg beater?

or have I got it back to front?

Not sure if it is my gear or not but when trolling slices and spoons without swivels mono ends up a bit twisted but braid doesnt.

Dave

Mate the reason why that is happening is because your not using a ball bearing swivel......everytime your lure spins 360 degrees ( which it may sometimes do) it twist your line...with a ball bearing swivel the line wont twist the swivel will...

G`day Fellas ,

Goner , my non poncy store bought line winder , :074::074::074: is An Old Golf Buggy turned inside out .

Now this makes avery stable platform to wind on any Breaking strain line or Braid you want to.

The Pressure Pads on the spool , are Made from Old Mouse Pads ( I`m doing My Bit for Global Warming By recycling everything as you can see ) , and the AXLE is an Curtain rod offcut .

You attach the spool as shown in the Pic , theread your line down through the rollers on your rod and just wind it on ........PURRRFECT.

The bottle , is simply my PODDY MULLET Trap , which did not want to be left out of things when I was taking the Pic .

The Trap is a Gem as Well.

Mick

Thanks Owzat,

Yeah the bottle threw me, good invention but I just can't go past a Japanese gadget.

Its amazing how strong the suction cup is on that thing.

I hear the next thing they're working on is a robot that spools all your reels for you, hooks your boat up to the car, launches and retreives it catches the fish for you and then lies about the one that got away.

:074::074::074::074::074:

Edited by gone_wishin