Salmon From The Rocks At North Head

Spanker

Hi Raiders,

Despite some misgivings, we braved the predicted heavy swell and wind and packed the car, on the raod by 0600. I took a mate who is new to fishing a Belgian fella, boyfriend of a friend new to Syndey, to show 'em one of the most beautiful spots in Sydney.

We had agreed to check out the swell from the top of the cliff - if it was washed out we'd head out for a big breakie at a cafe, we couldn'y lose really :1prop:

Anyway we parked outside the poo station and tramped through the bush down (dang path is really overgrown at the moment) to the cliffs and, a few minutes into first light, were greated with a spectactular view of the ocean and northern beaches for miles. Wow, it is already worth it. Best of all I could see our ledge and she was clear!

We scampered down, quickly rigged up and got baits in the water. We through in squid, pilchards, prawns and garfish. The other two fished the bottom, catching rock cod regularly including a couple around the kilo mark. There was plenty of nice wash but due to the strong wind it was hard to get baits out there. I ended up throwing lightly waited gar cubes out and slowly retrieving through the wash to keep the line off the bottom.

Not much action for 45 minutes and then I was on :1fishing1: Strong run, a few jumps and a healthy aussie salmon was free. Dang! At least there was something out there. I made sure the point and barb of my hook were will clear of the next bait and 5 minutes later I was on again. Damn they are a good fight on light gear.

I had to time the waves to get him up on to our ledge, 3 or 4 minutes later, a 2 kg Salmon was flapping at my feet. We bled him and got him tucked away. After that we had one more decent run, snapped off, more rock cod and a sergant baker, ugly blighters. The tide turned and things started looking a bit dodgy so we cleared off, delighted with the morning out in the wind and waves.

I know assie salmon are meant to be poor eating but I wanted to try one, I am going to steam it tonight and serve with a little soy and chilli.

Was great to get out after all the rain!!!!

Spanker

Salmon are not bad eating I rekkon. I have eaten them skinned and filleted and cook them on the BBQ and just let that extra oiliness they seem to have drip through onto the coals. Extra nice sevred over chopped tomato, galic, basil, corriander and a big squeeze of lemon with plenty of rock salt and pepper.. Salmon are also the king for making fishcakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Salmon are not bad eating I rekkon. I have eaten them skinned and filleted and cook them on the BBQ and just let that extra oiliness they seem to have drip through onto the coals. Extra nice sevred over chopped tomato, galic, basil, corriander and a big squeeze of lemon with plenty of rock salt and pepper.. Salmon are also the king for making fishcakes.

couldnt agree more there mate i love sambos on the bbq. well done spanker on braving the wind, i hate he wind. great catch.

That was really great report Spanker..........kiwidan is right , try smoking one

..and nice of you to take that newbie out

Thanks Clutch. I would like to give smoking a go at some stage, I am told you can use hickory chips on a webber. Probably keen to see a guru have a shot first rather than destroy my rare catches hehe. I catch a lot of tailor, do they smoke up well too?