E Tec

CR@ZY OS@M@

I need to clarify the story I was given by the local tech guy for the failure of the injectors.

Like most manufacturers BRP source parts from outside companies. Apparently an entire batch of injectors were made with too fine a voltage tolerance. Instead of operating at a range of 13.1- 13.4 volts for example, these faulty injectors were set at 13.20-13.25 volts and so intermittantly would miss. Now which motors had these injectors installed was not known, so rather than replace every injector in every motor, they replace every injector that proves to be faulty.

Dont quote me on the voltage figures, I dont recall the exact settings he mentioned, its just that they're too sensitive.

Dont quote me on this either, but he also mentioned that the BRP guys had told him that with most of the problems reported around the country, they're (BRP) finding it is faults with the way the motor was set-up by the dealer, particularly in the software used by the dealer on their laptop or service PC. Rather than genuine mechanical or electrical errors.

Sammy you're right about BRP needing to send some warning shots. Maybe they need to visit the dealers more frequently too, to keep an eye on things better.

Andy

Shark Bait

I guess what i'm trying to get across is not so much

as the e-tec being good or bad just that i cant understand

why it be allowed to go so far wether through the dealer,or at the end of the line

BRP have let this thing to blow out and degenerate to the

extent it has........... i am sure Huey for example

would not of let it get any were this far with one of

his customer's and by now would of been screaming

at BRP and would of provided an outcome suitable for all....

The end result at the moment is crazy john is going through pain..

the e-tec is coping flak....... and a million $ company

could'nt seem to care less or am i missing something.

Cheers Warnie

Good post Anthony and i do agree with what you say.....it seems that the dealers are the issue and not the motor itself...John has oprganised to take his boat in to huey and im sure that huey will sort its issues out straight away.....

These dealers seem to be making a killing out of people like John, from What i can gather John paid $8,000 too much for his engine, and the engine wasnt set up right by the dealer....

You would think the dealer would be extremely happy with the sale and make sure John is happy seeing he made an additional 8K profit.

Hopefully someone from BRP has read this thread and heard some of the concerns and now start to monitir and track there dealers with more detail.

Etec's name will go down in this country if the dealers don't set them up right and don't supply the after sales service to go with them....

From what i can gather Huey is in the minority of dealers who actually supply great service and knowledge on these motors....perhaps in time that will change....

John's boat will be going in to Huey over the coming week so we will keep you informed.

Hi Guys, I have Thursdays off and can not believe that this has got to where it has. I think in one of the first posts I said I would not have a problem checking his outboard over and see if we can not get to the bottom of this. I also asked a few simple questions for which I have not seen any definate answers to, like WOT RPM and serial number so that I can run it thru the BRP dealerport and see what, if anything, has been done.

Anyway my offer still stands and I am betting that most of Johns problems are dealer related. That is to not to say that E-TEC can and do not have problems, we have had a few minor issues ourselves but honestly in the main the owners of E-TEc that we have sold, which is approaching 400 odd are all very happy.

We have been in this marine industry for ALONG time and in our humble opinion the E-TEC technology is what we prefer over 4-Strokes, but as I have said many times if a customer of ours wants a 4-Stroke, no problem we sell him what he wants and if they ask, we offer our opinion on what I persoanlly would have on the back of my boat. As I have also said B4 we, as a business, should be the total opposite because I would make more money out of selling all 4-Strokes becasue of the associated service costs and trust me the incentives to sell just 4-Strokes vs E-TEC and 4-Strokes are just the same. In fact I probably would make more money on the inital sale of a 4-Stroke than what I am making on selling an E-TEC.

What I see happening is that BRP are one voice while on the other side of the fence they are fighting against all the other manufactures that are pendling down the 4-Stroke path. Wether this is the right way to go time will tell, but I am confident that the E-TEC technology will be here for a long time.

I think we should just wait and see what comes of this outboards if an when I get a chance to check it out instead of the endless my engine is better than your engine scenerio.

Cheers,

Huey.

This thread will be closed temporarily until John gets his motor looked at by PROFESSIONALS and Huett Marine Centre has the knowledge and expertise to do this :biggrin2: .

This thread will be re-opened when John has had his motor looked at and fixed to his satisfaction :thumbup: .

Cheers Swordfisherman