Leader Choices

hey guys new member here.....

jus a quick one for the bream boys...

when you guys are using rod length leaders of fluorocarbon line do you notice and deterioration in your leader knots after long casting sessions??

i'm wondering because when flatty fishing with plastics i only use 40 cm leader so my leader knot never enters the guides, same when spinning the rocks with metals... i've nailed a cpl of bream on plastics but am wondering how essential it is to have 2 meters of leader... do i just have to accept the fact of checking and re-tieing leaders all day...

ty guys

ps i'm using berkely dropshot rod 1-3 kg, 4 lb fireline, 6 pnd nitlon

flatty fanaticcccc :1fishing1:

Make sure you lubricate the knot when you tie it as the friction will cause it to weaken

Also not puting enough turns in a uni knot in light line will cause it to break I use 6 in the fireline and eight in the leader when using 6lb leader

Welcome to the Site :thumbup: If the water is clear a clear leader is good to fool the wary Bream.

If the water is slighty discoloured go with the short leader.

I use a 5 turn Surgeons Knot and I have had no problems at all.

The only knot I have this particular problem with is an Albright ,which I dont use any more :thumbdown:

Cheers Stewy

ty swordfisherman that was quick.... so the allbrights out and the surgeons knots in...where is that geoff wilson book.....ty heaps for the info and the welcome..

flatty fanaticccccc :1fishing1:

Make sure you lubricate the knot when you tie it as the friction will cause it to weaken

Also not puting enough turns in a uni knot in light line will cause it to break I use 6 in the fireline and eight in the leader when using 6lb leader

Thats a big knot Iceman.

I use the uni knot to but only use 5 turns in the leader and then 7 in the braid to try even the knots up in size. But my line is 4lb and leader is 4 as well.

I'm with swordie, albright is now out! to many times it's slipped.

Greg

Welcome to the Site :thumbup: If the water is clear a clear leader is good to fool the wary Bream.

If the water is slighty discoloured go with the short leader.

I use a 5 turn Surgeons Knot and I have had no problems at all.

The only knot I have this particular problem with is an Albright ,which I dont use any more :thumbdown:

Cheers Stewy

I disagree, I love the Albright knot.

It is an ultra slim knot that doesn't cause friction through the guides during the cast, therefore a longer cast.

And for me has proved unbreakable, I use a 13+ turn knot.

My two leaders on my two combo's have been on for approx. 6 sessions of plastic and metal work and still look 100% and won't break.

IFS

The problem with the Albright is if you trim the tag ends very close which I prefer eventually after making a lot of casts and hitting the guides it unravels and there goes your fish or lure with little or no resistance.

Cheers Stewy

alrighty i'm gunna put more turns in my albright and leave the tag a bit longer in the braid thanx for the info....as for spinnin off the rocks i'll stick with my short leader cause i can't stand that knot rattlin thru the guides.....

thx for the pointers

flathead fanaticccc :1fishing1:

• 2 months later...

my 2cents use 2-4pound crystal right through(thats wat i do) dont worrie about a leader bypasses your leader knot only leaving you with a jighead knot less chanses of a knot giving away

mick

hey mick does that crystal test the same as regular fireline??? ie like 1.5 x higher?? i was fishin the other day on ten pound fireline for drummer with 20 lb leader and i was amazed how hard i can pull... still couldn't stop the monster but

Interesting,I'm running the same braid on the same rod with either 6 or 8lb fc leader 1 metre long.I use a "twisted leader knot" out of Calcutt and Simpson's "Book of Lures" which is easy and has not failed so far,and I don't replace it until I'm down to 45 cm which may be a few sessions-you wrap the braid around the leader about 20 times so that you have enough to form an overhand knot but pass the combined wrapped section through the knot 4 times,then lubricate and pull snug,and clip off each tag NOT too close. Centauri to lure unless I want a loop,then a modified Perfection from the same book with 3 or 4 wraps back up the leader instead of 1 before going back through the loop.

Dave.