How Much Fuel Do You Use.

Shark Bait

Hi all.

Just curious. I've got a 75hp E-tec on my haines hunter 4.5 metre haines half cab. I filled my tank up at the Brooklyn mariner headed down the river to windsor. Sat on 3500rpm at 42kph (read by GPS) and 108km later, I was at Windsor. I pulled the boat out of the water & filled it up at the service station. It took 29.75 litres to overflow the tank. The boat had me, food & supplies for a couple of days & my fishing gear on board. The water was dead flat all the way.

108km travelled at 3500rpm at 42km/h on 29.75 litres. How does this compare to your fuel costs?

Rick.

Hi Rick, good informative post. That would of been a nice day, I have done that a few times myself, sometimes at a bit higher speed than 42KPH, but it is a good run espcially from Spencer upwards. I work this out to be 12L/Hr and that is pretty much what we are seeing with the 75/90HP E-TEC.

In my humble opinion that is pretty good fuel economy for an outboard.

Cheers,

Huey.

Best economy ive ever done is with a 80hp Yammy 4 stroke (carby) pushing a Southwind UB longboat running at around 4000-4400 rpm

Brooklyn

To a little past Sackville Ferry

And back to Brooklyn again

Around 80 litres.

That included idling around changing spots etc up near Sackville.

(sorry i never added up the distance)

Im sure we all have horror stories of huge fuel use in bigger boats ! but this sounded like a green economy thread:)

cheers

Rod

5.0 quintrex with 75hp merc 2001 2st

at christmas i done lots of WOT running around and gps said

136km for a tank 95 litres don,t know yet at 3/4 or less throttle

shark bait yours sounds like great figures

My DeepV 260 with Volvo D4 inboard diesel and duoprop leg delivers approx 1 litre per nautical mile regardless of speed. At 10 knots, I'm burning 10 litres per hour, at 20 knots - 20 litres.

I'd love it if my boat did the same as that.

For a trip out to Brown's and back in a 6m Haines Hunter with 150hp Evinrude Ocean Pro 1996

We can get away with 55L - 65L if the majority (70km or more out of 120km) is travelling at 1800 to 2100 rpm.

Other than that it uses approx 1L/km at 4000rpm

IFS

I have a 75 Etec , average fuel consumption is 2NM per liter . This is on a 4.3 M Haines Hunter runabout ( fibreglass). Wherever possible , I run it at full noise , but most of the engines running time is spent at 3000-4000 RPM , which gives an indicated speed of between 25 and 35 MPH. This is with 2 adults , big esky , fishing gear etc. A 25 litre tank will give me 85KM , or 3.4KM/L .

Ross

I'd love it if my boat did the same as that.

For a trip out to Brown's and back in a 6m Haines Hunter with 150hp Evinrude Ocean Pro 1996

We can get away with 55L - 65L if the majority (70km or more out of 120km) is travelling at 1800 to 2100 rpm.

Other than that it uses approx 1L/km at 4000rpm

IFS

I have the same motor and roughly the same size boat (mine is a touch bigger) as IFS and on the social night done about 110km and went through about 130L...

approx 1.2L/km

Paul

Well the old haines hunter 580slf with twiwn 90 yammy 2 strokes trolling for about 6 hours sitting between 6.5-7.5 knots th whole time, alternating between each motor we used a staggering 110liters of fuel.

That was motoring from cooks river ramp- mol point- close fad trolling from close fad to about 7 miles off south head(botany) then back to close fad then home.

Really heavy drinker

The new rig with a 150hp yammy 4stk uses 4 liters an hour at various rpm's/speeds (under run in time), but once run in time is over i will be able to give you a better idea on how much fuel it uses (hopefully beter thn 4 liters)

cheers james

Well the old haines hunter 580slf with twiwn 90 yammy 2 strokes trolling for about 6 hours sitting between 6.5-7.5 knots th whole time, alternating between each motor we used a staggering 110liters of fuel.

That was motoring from cooks river ramp- mol point- close fad trolling from close fad to about 7 miles off south head(botany) then back to close fad then home.

Really heavy drinker

The new rig with a 150hp yammy 4stk uses 4 liters an hour at various rpm's/speeds (under run in time), but once run in time is over i will be able to give you a better idea on how much fuel it uses (hopefully beter thn 4 liters)

cheers james

Bloody brilliant. I nearly bought the yamaha 60 4 stroke, but mechanics scare the crap out of me. I settled on the 75 E-tec, 40kg heavier & 2 grand dearer then the yamaha, but no dealer maintenance till it's out of warranty. Suits me.