Back For More

humesy

Howdy,

That one that got away was haunting me. Hit the water at around the same time after a chat to Kelvin at the boat ramp. Picked up a few livies to start the afternoon and set off loaded with two new (second hand) ugly sticks to beef up the quiver.

Beautiful evening, dead calm, top of the tide, great to be alive I am thinking to myself. Even better when that old real starts singing again. This time it was on my lighter rod and this fish gave a good account of itself and for the first time I could feel/notice its jolting headshakes. Went 85cm and around 6kgs I am guessing.

Went off to do some squidding and picked up a nice mix of arrows and green eyes. Also caught a 45cm tailor on a lure on my spinning rod which was tremendous fun. Motored over to last night's spot and put down baits, this time with a circle hook in the top of a live squid. When they start bouncing around all over the shop you know something is about to happen. Bang, another jewie, 55cm, with a text book hook up in the corner of his mouth. He went back to grow some more as I have plenty of fish.

The pic is of last night's and tonight's fish.

Get out there if you can, the jewies are firing!

Cheers.

PS Thanks for all the suggestions about how to deal with a flat battery. The boat is now equipped with a jump starter kit.

PPS please don't ask me what I was thinking when I chose the red crocs.

post-1006-1184161712_thumb.jpg

Edited by humesy

Howdy,

That one that got away was haunting me. Hit the water at around the same time after a chat to Kelvin at the boat ramp. Picked up a few livies to start the afternoon and set off loaded with two new (second hand) ugly sticks to beef up the quiver.

Beautiful evening, dead calm, top of the tide, great to be alive I am thinking to myself. Even better when that old real starts singing again. This time it was on my lighter rod and this fish gave a good account of itself and for the first time I could feel/notice its jolting headshakes. Went 85cm and around 6kgs I am guessing.

Went off to do some squidding and picked up a nice mix of arrows and green eyes. Also caught a 45cm tailor on a lure on my spinning rod which was tremendous fun. Motored over to last night's spot and put down baits, this time with a circle hook in the top of a live squid. When they start bouncing around all over the shop you know something is about to happen. Bang, another jewie, 55cm, with a text book hook up in the corner of his mouth. He went back to grow some more as I have plenty of fish.

The pic is of last night's and tonight's fish.

Get out there if you can, the jewies are firing!

Cheers.

PS please don't ask me what I was thinking when I chose the red crocs.

strike me lucky andrew you'll have to show me those spots. i'm years out of touch with sydney harbour jewies you know. i don't think, with the keeness and perseverence you have, you need worry too much about hooking up hawkesbury jewies and regularly, although there colonized on the hawks and differ quite a lot from the sydney harbour marauders coming in from outside.

if you the eliminate the no go zones over time, you'll soon master that too.

just goes to show that keen fishos dangling livies down at the right times and in right waters can get good jewie results. as to the other factor, i will earbash you on the weekend when we go up to hawks and now it seems i'll have to just pass you the phone while you are still able to hear. :biggrin2:

regards andrew, great perseverence and well done. :thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Andrew,

MAN YOUR ON FIRE!!!!

Hey i am kicking myself for not going with you when you rang yesterday arvo.

Whimping out because its cold = no jewie.

Mate i never doubted some nice jewies were coming your way and that big mother you gotta have on lay buy.

Just goes to show that when you hear people saying "if ya wanna catch a jew you gotta do your homework" then you "gotta put the time in". blah blah blah. Its true.

It is always a possibility to catch one as a bycatch but to consistently get them you gotta know what your doing.

Man your running the risk of becoming a serious jewfish professional. Also i love getting those calls after a jewie slids onto the deck. I thought your second call was gonna be an even bigger one. Good to see you let him go back into the deep - GOOD KARMA. Don't see many people throw back legal jewies. I reckon you might as well as they not that nice to eat compared to the bigger ones.

PS Andrew if your not keeping the jewels can i please have them. I have a collection and need more. I wanna do the jewie witch doctor thing and throw the jewels and read the results prior to fishing LOL :1yikes:

If its not raining gonna hit the beach at usual spot on Friday. Will advise.

thanks for the applause everyone but bear in mind, I am probably like a problematic gambler. You won't hear about my fishless nights, and there has been plenty of them. Makes it that much sweeter when you have a good run though. :biggrin2:

Red crocks at night will bring the Jewies on the bite!

Good stuff there Humesy.

If you are after a good tough rod for Jewies look at the Wilson Live Fibre Texalium Spin series.

Anything from 8kg up. Tips are still sensitive but you can put serious pressure on the fish.

They are a bit costly but I think well worth it.

I replaced all my ugly sticks with them and there is no comparison.

They allow you to really put the brakes on especially if you are in amongst the moorings or near the rocks.

Cheers

inhlanzi

... and for the first time I could feel/notice its jolting headshakes.

Humesy - i hooked a big jew on a bream rod & yabbie a earlier this year and yeah, the head shakes are very noticable! It almost felt like the line was getting caught on something then flicking off, over and over... the head shakes were about one or two seconds apart. I couldnt turn this fish around really, it went on a huge run, and then once i started to make a little bit of ground on it, ping... i was not patient enough... oh well the fish deserved to get away.

PPS please don't ask me what I was thinking when I chose the red crocs.

Its not the colour mate, i just cant understand why anyone wears them at all!!! ;-)

Enjoyed reading your post :-)

Its not the colour mate, i just cant understand why anyone wears them at all!!! ;-)

Geez, I dunno about that....I wear them all the time while wading in water..especially in Narra lake as there are a lot of broken oyster shells in amongst the sand and without them, my feet woud look like hamburger meat.

They are self draining too, which is great.

They may not look "pretty", but they are fantastic and practical for me.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,''

Pete

Geez, I dunno about that....I wear them all the time while wading in water.

No worries Pete, no offence intended, just pulling the piss, and im sure they serve a great purpose as you say. Im sure if i could get over my pride id wear them and love them! ;-)