Fishing The Hawksbury

squidboy

Hi Raiders.

Just wanted to know if anyone can help me land a Hawksbury jew. Just wanted to know these answers:

1) Where do I find yakkas in the HB?

2) Should I use squid stripes or whole squid for a jew.

Im not after a record breaking jew, just a beginner and then Ill try and get serious.

Thanks for all your help :yahoo:

Squidboy

Go the whole live squid mate!

I always grab mine at Currawong Beach in Pittwater, never fails.

As CaineS said, the yakkas are everywhere!

I usually dice up some pillies and throw em in, it gets them going.

Edited by reLapse

Go the whole live squid mate!

I always grab mine at Currawong Beach in Pittwater, never fails.

As CaineS said, the yakkas are everywhere!

I usually dice up some pillies and throw em in, it gets them going.

THANKS TO EVERYONE for being so nice to share some knowledge. I know the jews are at Juno and the road bridges but thats about it. Once again a huge thanks.

Im ok in the harbour, but no where else :mad3:

Thanks again :yahoo:

Guest MRS WATTO

yakkas are all over the place, the other night we were getting them in every bay we went to. burley is a must

i prefer whole squid, and i only use calafornian squid from wattos.

Calafornian squid is the best

THANKS TO EVERYONE for being so nice to share some knowledge. I know the jews are at Juno and the road bridges but thats about it. Once again a huge thanks.

Im ok in the harbour, but no where else :mad3:

Thanks again :yahoo:

another spot which has produced for me and is underrated is elenor bluffs and gunya point. good luck in the persuit of the monster jew you seek.

Juno is known as the BIG JEW spot on the river. As we all know...big jew like BIG baits. Floating down a prawn, pillie or a strip of squid is a waste of time. These fish are big eaters and will only break cover for big meals.

If you can pin a 1kg tailor, luderick, 2kg salmon, a big slimy or a whole squid...game on!!

Target the tide on the last of the run-out and anchor in the run and cast into the distict eddy.

Use no less than 15kg on stand-up with a good overhead, preferably with lever drag.

Pin baits with 2 x 10/0 hooks (jew have mouths like the harbour tunnel entrance)

As soon as you get a run..hit it. It is an old wives tale that you must wait till the fish runs..allows it to turn the fish then strike on the second run.

Good luck.

Col

Juno is known as the BIG JEW spot on the river. As we all know...big jew like BIG baits. Floating down a prawn, pillie or a strip of squid is a waste of time. These fish are big eaters and will only break cover for big meals.

If you can pin a 1kg tailor, luderick, 2kg salmon, a big slimy or a whole squid...game on!!

Target the tide on the last of the run-out and anchor in the run and cast into the distict eddy.

Use no less than 15kg on stand-up with a good overhead, preferably with lever drag.

Pin baits with 2 x 10/0 hooks (jew have mouths like the harbour tunnel entrance)

As soon as you get a run..hit it. It is an old wives tale that you must wait till the fish runs..allows it to turn the fish then strike on the second run.

Good luck.

Col

:1welcomeani: colin

col you've come over to the right place over here with us mate

jewgaffer

fish on

Hi Squidboy

Some great info been passed on there ..... but, see if you can grab a copy of Jewfish Secrets 1 from Calmwater Charters (at any reputable fishing/tackle shop) & you should have no difficulty in recognising spots or methods for both yakkas & jewies! Most exciting watching!

Good luck

ROberta

Good luck.

Col

by the way colin i almost forgot. when i swim a larger tailor i slow it down and have it struggling in panic on the hooks by tightening my drag up on the 950 penn to about 50lb drag pressure of my 80 braid.

i tell you what you'll be very welcomed over here col and it will be great to fish with you provided you can put up with the garlic coming out of taren point julius my hungarian deckie - future of fish site release of the month- (pictured with the 80pounder) caught while julius was fishing landbased under captain cook bridge.

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Jewgaffer or col

what i know about catching jewies in the river you could write on the back of a

postage stamp thats why a couple of years ago i went with some mates who

new what they were doing.........They obtained there live squid and plenty of em very quickly

on squid jigs made of the bottom part of empty bic pens about 50mm in lenght with the squid prongs

inserted were the ink biro goes......The weed beds on a beach opposite cottage point held

1,000's of the blighters and used as bait, the local squid was exeptional for catching school jewfish

that arvo with...... although far from been called big there was no shortage in coming on board

i'm sure squid boy would enjoy starting off with such.... are you familiar with the jig? i described for it

seemed to be the prefered choice with us and other locals near buy on that particular day or is it one

of them things that's faded away with time.....

Cheers Warnie

Jewgaffer or col

what i know about catching jewies in the river you could write on the back of a

postage stamp thats why a couple of years ago i went with some mates who

new what they were doing.........They obtained there live squid and plenty of em very quickly

on squid jigs made of the bottom part of empty bic pens about 50mm in lenght with the squid prongs

inserted were the ink biro goes......The weed beds on a beach opposite cottage point held

1,000's of the blighters and used as bait, the local squid was exeptional for catching school jewfish

that arvo with...... although far from been called big there was no shortage in coming on board

i'm sure squid boy would enjoy starting off with such.... are you familiar with the jig? i described for it

seemed to be the prefered choice with us and other locals near buy on that particular day or is it one

of them things that's faded away with time.....

Cheers Warnie

hi warnie i'm up late waiting for a phone call about going back to the georges tonight which hasn't arrived

it's freezing outside so i'm going to take the phone off the hook and lay down till the thought goes away

on second thoughts i might put on some blizzard gear, dream about ice fishing and wait. :biggrin2:

i've never heard of bic biro lures mate. if col reads this we will both learn a helluva lot more that's for sure

and if he gives you a better alternative we best both use it i tell ya and i'll bet i get there first.

regards

jewgaffer

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi Squidboy

Some great info been passed on there ..... but, see if you can grab a copy of Jewfish Secrets 1 from Calmwater Charters (at any reputable fishing/tackle shop) & you should have no difficulty in recognising spots or methods for both yakkas & jewies! Most exciting watching!

Good luck

ROberta

I reckon col will have quite a few "secrets" of his own (that i'm sure he's willing to share).

Between col and huey, fishraider will have the boat topics well and truley covered..

BTW :1welcomeani: col, im sure you will enjoy your time here. Ive read alot of your reports in the past and they are the bomb. Your post previous in this thread is the most (for me) informative, simplified post i've read in a long time. BIG baits are the go i take it, and thats exactly where i've been going wrong, i think. Watch out now jewies, here i come with some larger ammo. And that "old wives tale" you spoke of is what i took for gospel. Over the side of the boat goes the old wives tale.

I'm getting excited already.. :074: ..i just about gave up on catching that big jewie after last weekend, after another 24 hour trip (about 16 hours deticated to a jewie) and catching one shovel nose shark and a cold. If you add up all the hours ive spent on the water trying to get that monster jew without any luck would add up to about a month.

And WATTO.... why are the californian squid so good?? Ive got them from you before and they seem ok, great value for money, but i always thought local squid would be just as good, if not better for local fish. Is there a big, if any, difference between them and local squid??? I understand that the processing of the californian squid is maybe better than the squid processed here, but i would of thought freshly caught local squid would be the best.

I hardly ever have a great deal of luck with catching squid in large numbers, so no doubt i'll be using the cali squid again.

Paul...

Just to add a bit more on catching big jew.

As I said, anchor in the run and cast into the eddy. You will have to up anchor and move often as tide increases/decreases.

When using whole fish...I use them as dead baits. Live they make a hell of a mess with end tackle.

I stick one hook out through its bum, the other hook is snelled on the line and slid to clip through the mouth to stop it ingesting water therefore bloating it.

I then trim off all fins with scissors and scale the fish. Break the backbone so it's a nice soft, flexible bait.

This makes it like a 'lolly' to swallow and encourages firm hook-ups.

Fish with the reel on 3/4 drag. This way the fish will hook itself on a take.

Good luck.

Col

Just to add a bit more on catching big jew.

As I said, anchor in the run and cast into the eddy. You will have to up anchor and move often as tide increases/decreases.

When using whole fish...I use them as dead baits. Live they make a hell of a mess with end tackle.

I stick one hook out through its bum, the other hook is snelled on the line and slid to clip through the mouth to stop it ingesting water therefore bloating it.

I then trim off all fins with scissors and scale the fish. Break the backbone so it's a nice soft, flexible bait.

This makes it like a 'lolly' to swallow and encourages firm hook-ups.

Fish with the reel on 3/4 drag. This way the fish will hook itself on a take.

Good luck.

Col

hi col excellent advice :thumbup: i am sure there are many out here who would welcome advice like this.

keep it coming mate.

very nicely presented

cheers

jewgaffer