Rock Hoppin 15th July

Rode Cary

hi raiders

sorry for quality of picture. Taken on camera phone

post-3471-1184496165_thumb.jpg

Went to my usual ledge this morning around 8 and had to wait for a couple of hours before i could start fishing as it was high tide and there were a few bit swells. Around 3 hrs after high tide, again, the fish started to be active and responded well to stale bread burley. Again peeled king prawns worked better than ab guts. Me and fishing buddy caught around 10 black drummer but kept only three (around 40 cm mark). Caught a few breams and there were plenty of trevally around, caught 5. It was a nice day fishing. Cant wait to hit the rocks again.

cheers

bertrand

hi raiders

sorry for quality of picture. Taken on camera phone

post-3471-1184496165_thumb.jpg

Went to my usual ledge this morning around 8 and had to wait for a couple of hours before i could start fishing as it was high tide and there were a few bit swells. Around 3 hrs after high tide, again, the fish started to be active and responded well to stale bread burley. Again peeled king prawns worked better than ab guts. Me and fishing buddy caught around 10 black drummer but kept only three (around 40 cm mark). Caught a few breams and there were plenty of trevally around, caught 5. It was a nice day fishing. Cant wait to hit the rocks again.

cheers

bertrand

nice mix bag there mate, is that a groper i can see? yummo

very nice, peeled king prawns is the best but they are expensive, i got mine for $7 for 500gm! can u get it for cheaper?

I think it's worth paying whatever it costs for good bait if you don't have the time to get live bait.

I goto the Sydney Fish Markets and buy fresh prawns, squid (if I'm not going to catch any) and pilchards.

It's pricey but it's top notch bait.

Edited by reLapse

My wife and I get the Vanamei Prawns from Vietnam - they are 10 bucks a kilo at most.. Can get them from coles / woolies and saves the run to the fish markets.

Lately though I am more and more hesitant to buy these prawns as I can only imagine what the Vietnamese standards are with respect to bycatch etc...

Great bait though!

nice mix bag there mate, is that a groper i can see? yummo

nah its not a groper, just a fat drummer. sorry for pic quality

very nice, peeled king prawns is the best but they are expensive, i got mine for $7 for 500gm! can u get it for cheaper?

get mine 8-9 box a kilo. cant tell u here as i might break the site rule. just pm me if u need more info

cheers

bertrand

Nice drummer.. how do they taste??

hey ceph, drummer is excellent eating. delicious white flesh. whether steamed, curry or deep fried...all taste good. u should give it a go. the trick is to keep your fish alive till u finish fishing, then bleed and clean straight away. if u leave the gut inside for hrs, then its gonna taste a bit weedy

my mate always say, any fresh fish tastes good

cheers

bertrand

A lot of questions posed and answered, just wanted to add some stuff for those that do not know. Rock fishing please be careful and wear your cleats. Watch the waves and do not turn your back on the ocean you could miss the wave that gets you wet or lets you go swimming. Have some sort of plan to get out if you go in.

The bait we use to fish with should be as fresh as possible. Look at this way. When you go to eat do you eat fresh food or would you prefer less than fresh. This being said I have caught fish on black colour prawns as that was all I had left.

nah its not a groper, just a fat drummer. sorry for pic quality

get mine 8-9 box a kilo. cant tell u here as i might break the site rule. just pm me if u need more info

cheers

bertrand

hey ceph, drummer is excellent eating. delicious white flesh. whether steamed, curry or deep fried...all taste good. u should give it a go. the trick is to keep your fish alive till u finish fishing, then bleed and clean straight away. if u leave the gut inside for hrs, then its gonna taste a bit weedy

my mate always say, any fresh fish tastes good

cheers

bertrand

Mmmmm .. I have heard they are good. Might have to try for them some day..

Cheers

A lot of questions posed and answered, just wanted to add some stuff for those that do not know. Rock fishing please be careful and wear your cleats. Watch the waves and do not turn your back on the ocean you could miss the wave that gets you wet or lets you go swimming. Have some sort of plan to get out if you go in.

The bait we use to fish with should be as fresh as possible. Look at this way. When you go to eat do you eat fresh food or would you prefer less than fresh. This being said I have caught fish on black colour prawns as that was all I had left.

well said

my rule is never fish a new spot alone and always check the swell (seabreeze website is pretty good).