Tuross 14/15

Hodgey

G'Day all

Well, what a great weekend just gone. Saturday was spent on the lake whistlin' lures around and Sunday was spent chasing salmon off the beach for an hour.

I have long been a believer that the old Flattie was pretty much dormant during the Winter, and the very low water temperature of the lake at the moment would mean the Flatties would indeed be scarce. The morning started as I expected ... no fish for the first 40mins. :mad3: Finally, my mate Dene boated a small Flattie (37cm) and things definitely stepped up a gear. In the next 4 hours we managed to boat another 8 Flatties, including these two at 51 and 54 cm ...

post-3198-1184623755_thumb.jpg

Last cast of the day and I was absolutely smashed on the plastic, and 5 minutes later I managed to lift a very healthy 'lady' of 65cm. Having forgotten my camera AGAIN, the best we could do was measure her and release back into the coffee colored water. All in all it was a great day and put paid to a few misconceptions that I have been working under for a long time. :thumbup:

Caught up Dene again on Sunday and was telling him that I had never caught a Salmon. (To be fair, I have not done a great deal of beach fishing either). Dene decided that 40+ years is long enough to wait and we would have a crack at them on the beach that afternoon. Again the fishing started quietly but the tide had only just started to run in so I was still hopeful. The fact that I saw a seal swimming through the waves didn't help my confidence level.

35minutes into the session and it finally happened ... my first Salmon of approximately 1kg!

post-3198-1184624274_thumb.jpg

Joking with Dene after the photo session I boldly stated that now I would like to "upgrade" my PB Salmon and sure enough I did! :074: My third Salmon came in at 58 cm and 2.25 kg.

post-3198-1246087602_thumb.jpg

Between the pair of us we landed 9 salmon in 40min and had a ball. One of the best weekends fishing I have had in several months and a nice way to christen my new Fishraider Cap!!

Hodgey

Excellent Post,

Great to see the flatties are still attacking the plastics at this time of the year. My mate and I have also caught a couple recently which have been bigger on average than during the summer months, just not in the same numbers.

Well done. Hutcho

Thank you for the kind remarks, folks!

Davemmm, the entrance has really been scoured out and there is a decent channel leading to the entrance now. The water was like treacle out the front for quite a while. :1badmood:

Some of the boys have been catching good Flatties and Snapper out the front of the entrance, approx 250m from the beach. All signs indicate a great Spring/Summer for the lake!

Hodgey