Hairtail

Luringbream

Although its not as adrenaline pumping as the tuna action that other raiders have been getting of late, but i, like most, have created an obsession for those elusive hairtail. I have gained much information on hairtail from these forums from various raiders, and i appreciate it guys.

With all the information gained, i went out last sunday night and bagged 5 in quick succession(before my mates starting whinging about the weather being 'too cold'). Not a great result, but i was happy nonetheless as i have never caught one before.

Im heading back out there this weekend, and i was wondering what you guys think of a 2, or even 3 hook weightless paternoster rig?

Im thinking of using a handline and spreading the hooks over 3 metres, so that i can cover the 3, 4 and 5m depth at the same time, or possibly another covering the 6,7,8m depth. Firstly, it will help in determining what depth the fish are holding at, and may even result in increased captures.

Let me know what you think and has anyone tried it before?

DAN

Although its not as adrenaline pumping as the tuna action that other raiders have been getting of late, but i, like most, have created an obsession for those elusive hairtail. I have gained much information on hairtail from these forums from various raiders, and i appreciate it guys.

With all the information gained, i went out last sunday night and bagged 5 in quick succession(before my mates starting whinging about the weather being 'too cold'). Not a great result, but i was happy nonetheless as i have never caught one before.

Im heading back out there this weekend, and i was wondering what you guys think of a 2, or even 3 hook weightless paternoster rig?

Im thinking of using a handline and spreading the hooks over 3 metres, so that i can cover the 3, 4 and 5m depth at the same time, or possibly another covering the 6,7,8m depth. Firstly, it will help in determining what depth the fish are holding at, and may even result in increased captures.

Let me know what you think and has anyone tried it before?

DAN

Hi Dan,

Using unweighted baits is my favourite rig. I used to have different weights but find hairtail bite more freely with no lead on terminal tackle at all.

As an aside...do others berley when hairtailing? If so, what is used?

Col

Gdayyy Col and welcome to Fishraider.

We use chopped up pillies and chook pellets.

Pillies to get the Hairtail on the bite and chooks pellets to keep the small hardyheads and yakkas at the back of the boat.

Cheers Stewy

Gdayyy Col and welcome to Fishraider.

We use chopped up pillies and chook pellets.

Pillies to get the Hairtail on the bite and chooks pellets to keep the small hardyheads and yakkas at the back of the boat.

Cheers Stewy

second that mate, and boy is there an abundance of bait in the hawkesbury at the moment.

hopefully i too will be hitting it soon but if the wind is up may have to watch the footy instead out at penrith.

hi guys,and welcome col,glad youve come across.to the best fishing site...using a multi paternoster rig may be a pain if they're in a frenzy and hooks be flying around so be careful.... well i think its very important to keep the burly flowin to keep the school in the strike zone and no weight is also a great way to go and vary the depth..... also try single hook rigs if failing to hook with gangs and most importantly watch out for that devilish smile they have.... no rexy kissing goodbye for them or youll say goodby to something alright.... if i get a chance ill post a pic of a few years ago of a hairy massacre,litterally filled the boat with em..... hope to be getting out there sat night myself....

this was caught between 7 of us in about an hour or so plenty more than this were released.... please bear in mind no fish was wasted but took shitloads to clean as only 3 of us cleaned them and packed them for storage.....

post-2219-1184840314_thumb.jpg

and me in the ss throw-fish-at-us-alot very funny mates..... didnt care though had my vb in one hand and donger in the other fighting for my life at times... :074: ... ooooh the memories.... didnt seem soooooo long ago.....post-2219-1184840511_thumb.jpg

my mates were in a 16ft runnabout and towed me around :tease: .. the silly things we do as a kid eh....

heres hoping for a repeat performance sat night... :biggrin2: ...

cheers .... steve....

second that mate, and boy is there an abundance of bait in the hawkesbury at the moment.

hopefully i too will be hitting it soon but if the wind is up may have to watch the footy instead out at penrith.

Nah go fishing, the hair tail are still firing. Panthers are finished till next year. :074:

Thanks for the info, i would love to see the pics. I think ive decided on heading out saturday night rather than sunday night. Are you hitting Jerusalem bay?

DAN

yeh dan ill be out there sat night to have a crack at the hairy ones..... ill be prob solo in my little ol red/white pongrass.... oh ok maybe not quite red anymore more pinkish but it goes red once wet :tease: ....