Cowan And Jerusalem Bay

roosterman

hi guys, i have a navman 6500 trackfish and was wondering how well it will pick up a signal amongst those valleys..

i am tossing up weather to put in at atb and cruise up to jb sat night or just put in up the road from me in pittwater and go from here....

with all those bays and darkness i may leave from pitty as i dont know cowan at all.... any info would be great guys..... thanks..... and good luck to all chasing the toothy critters.....

Get to know cowan during the day before going out at night.... ask breamhntr about that... Cowan looks like water in the middle of mountains when there is no light, especially now there is no moon. You can't see where the river open up, it can be very daunting... If you dont know cowan at all during the day you'd be crazy to go during the night.. If you are rely on the gps, just take it easy and be prepared to spend the night there. Goodluck..

paul

Edited by tiger_shark

Follow Tiger Sharks instructions !

Distance wise Parsley Bay and ATB would be similar. Ive never measured but I cant see any substancial difference.

Re the GPS,

Ive never had reception problems in Cowan Creek, not that they dont exist, but i have never experienced a drop out.

Berowra Waters has some drop out areas when I was using a Navman 5500 with antenna on the binimi. (Im not saying it was product related)

cheers

Rod

EDIT: cancel my first line. I had LuringBreams other post re ramp distances on my mind for some reason :wacko:

Edited by fishingrod

thanks guys, ill be definitely taking it easy,gps was just not wanting to take wrong turn mainly lika another raider did recently and with not much moon about jus wanted some reassurances :biggrin2: ... with the wind likely to be up i might put in at atb and take it slow to jb.... cant wait :biggrin2::biggrin2: ...

i might put in at atb and take it slow to jb.... cant wait :biggrin2::biggrin2: ...

My suggestion is to go down stream mid channel on the way out. Dont just take the shortest route between bends Save/record the plot and save it for future reference. Im not sure how good the CMap is for Cowan Creek now, but ive experienced the maps can be out in the Hawkesbury. You end up driving over land !

The recorded plot is more likely to be accurate and repeatable.

As you are already aware the GPS is a navigation aid.

Good luck on the fish !

Rod

thanks rod,i was plannong to do a track for the way up so i can follow back if needed... thats if the bloody thing works for me :wacko: ... bloody faulty unit didnt save path for me up forster when needed for some dark night shallow water drivin.. :wacko::wacko: ... of corse it had nothin to do with my expertise in using the bloody thing... oh well we learn something every day i suppose,especially useing hi tech things like plotter/sounders.... i will definitely be checking for it saving the track and waypoints this time :biggrin2: ....

howdy ross,

unfortunately i dont have a radio yet.... will get one very shortly just not sure which type 27mhz or vhf..

also what brands,prob get navman so can hook up to my trackfish......

thanks heaps for the offer... i will come over and say hi to you,stumpy and crew... i am having Luringbream as my deckie as both of us were left posted by mates and plan to launch around 4pm so its still light and use my trackfish to plot a course so ill be better equipped if needed to get home in the dark..... i think it will be very crowded mate and with heaps of boats the fish should get a feed :biggrin2: ... maybe some will be silly enough to end up in my boat :biggrin2: ..

... unfortunately i dont have a radio yet.... will get one very shortly just not sure which type 27mhz or vhf..

also what brands,prob get navman so can hook up to my trackfish ......

Most people with boats your size would run a 27mhz radio. VHF is becoming increasingly popular, but also coming increasingly congested as a result. Im a radio and safety nut thus I would have both even in a smallish boat.

If you went 27mhz I dont believe that there would be any connectivity with the GPS, even if it was a Navman. The Navman VHF should typically be able to interface. Most brands would use a NEMA (0183?) communications protocol. You arent restricted to buying Navman if you want to talk between products.

My comments on Navman radios is that they appear to have very good IP Water Resistance ratings, but ive also heard a lot of mixed reports on their quality/reliability. I was very happy with the 5500 GPS that I was using and Navmans support and back up was very good. I was in contact with their service dept many times.

You hear a few mixed reports on GME radios as well. But there is a lot of them out there. The more in the market, the more mixed reports you expect to get I guess. There is very rarely a bad word said on any local forum ive read about Icom VHFs.

I run a Uniden 27mhz and GME VHF in my boat. Both a few years old and have been superceeded by 1-2 newer models.

Rod

i must be mad :tease: .. i just ducked up to palmy wharf to get some squid and it was a bit blowy... now i know the squid wont be happening but i still tried for about half an hour..... done the same a couple nights ago sept i stayed for about an hour... im like a dry drunk i think.... god i really need to get out there and wet a line... im even considering moving some bloody place where the weather is better......

thanks rod,thats a bit of food for thought... i was thinking uniden would be great as the are mainly into communications and ive used there phones and been happy... as for hooking up with the trackfish i see only benefit being that buddy system which i prob wouldn't use anyway...just a thought..

very funny tiger_shark lol be nice

mick

Lol... I dont blame you for getting lost that night, i can get around cowan with my eyes closed, but i often think to myself some nights, when im out there, that every direction looks the same. Like being inside a big volcano filled up with water. You just cant make out where the river goes. Ive taken some people out there at night, who have never been in cowan before, and they were blown away how spooky it is.

But i guess you have to get out there in all conditions before you can truely know it. I bet you know it alot better now breamhntr.

Just take care and be safe.... and never ever trust a gps alone for navigation.

Paul

What time are you putting in Roosterman? If you get into bother , call me on Ch 96 , and we will come and get you .

Ross

I saw you on the road on the way up Ross. Hope you guys did alright. It sprinkled with rain up at Hornsby between 8 and 11pm.

Rod