How Barometric Pressure Affects Squid. More Calamari Sir?

jewgaffer

hi everyone.

i thought i would start up a new topic on the affects of barometric pressure and squid.

i read an excellent post by jimmy c and i have conversed with jimmy regularly on my recent topic of barometric pressure and fishing results and that's what being a member of fishraider is all about.

i have found jimmy c to be intelligent with a cutting edge type overview in comparing this subject with the moods and habits of humans, animals and fish, with jimmy examplifying my previous barometric pressure topic by using it as an anology for economical climates and stock market barometer trends and doing rather scientifically at that! :thumbup:

and for those readers or new members who may have missed my topic on barometric pressure and best fishing results here is a link to that :-

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=22530&hl=

oh well half a link you may have to type it in

i have included excerpts from a post by jimmy c with a basket full of squid he caught in gunnamatta bay on a so called wrong day on and with it a reply and a question from squid boy does the barometer affect squid so as to give you the background to my new topic.

QUOTE(Jimmy C @ Jul 20 2007, 03:20 PM)

Went for a quick squidding session last week at Cronulla but only just got the photos together.

QUOTE(squidboy @ Jul 20 2007, 11:30 PM)

Great work on the squiding, looks good that squid are still around after the kings are teaming up over the last summer

What does the barometre have to do in relation to squid jigging or bait fishing?

Is a rising or falling barometre good for them?

Squid Boy

.........................................................................................................................................................

my reply :- barometric pressure affects the mood and the feeding habits of fish as most fisherman would have experienced.

some marine species are not as adversely affected as others. so become active when others have shut down.

this is an example for instance. you go fishing at times when you actually feel the atmosphere doesn't feel right and you just know nothing will be biting.

you've even been told by people in the know "there's been no fish caught here for a couple of days" or "you should have been here yesterday" or "kids were catching jewfish on cockatoo feathers " and just to add a bit more emphasis for you squidboyby "even luigi caught 4 kingfish off the wharf on a string of ganged frankfurts" and "his missus got two nice flounder beauties they were with some kind of home made puke that smelt so bad it made my little granddaughter cry". :1yikes:

now your'e with me and jokes aside, you will still get a few fish that day but they will be freeks and they'll get freekier as the day worsens and the ill wind breezes on.

ok then, it's even a fine day, the barometer is rising real fast but why no fish. the answer is antartic mate. i.e. ongoing southerly influence. ring a bell ?

the creatures you will catch will be a follows - catfish, fortescues, toadies, scorpions, slimy eels, occies, sea snakes :1yikes:

you'll be having rods going off everywhere getting your heart pumping fast. "what sort of fish were they" answer " migrating jellyfish getting to hell out of there fast"

now on those days, in the right places there can be some very successful applicants and to bring it back into perspective :-

the occie will be peeping thru a little crack in his octopus garden fortress waiting for night to fall and to reach out and grab any lethargic and bloated critter that happens to swagger past like jimmy the local drunk walking along the foot path at closing time. got it?

you see the fish worst affected by the barometric pressure become easy prey for others who aren't.

now on those days which jimmy c knows very well, he soon flicked his favourite zo zuri around for the feed he was targetting and jimmy got a pretty good feed for himself too i might add.

when jimmy chose to go, the squid would be highly active and jimmy simply knew they would be even doing the dance of the sugar plum fairies for jimmy c as they had nothing much else to worry about.

hope this helps

JEWGAFFER

AND DO REMEMBER - EVERY TIME YOU GO FISHING PLEASE TAKE A KID OR TWO WITH YOU.

SO IF YOU SEE THIS SMART LITTLE BLOKE BELOW TRYING TO FISH AMONG THE USUAL JETTY MUTES OR STRUGGLING AROUND IN A KAYAK IN A SWELL OR TRYING TO PADDLE A CANOE UP A WATERFALL JUST THROW HIM IN YOUR BOAT AND BELIEVE ME BROTHER HE'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO FISH ! :thumbup::biggrin2:post-829-1184980290_thumb.jpg

FISH ON

jewgaffer :074:

:1fishing1: jewgaffer :biggrin2:post-829-1184980661_thumb.jpg with little jewgaffer who'll be a member soon

p.s. sorry fishraider member thereddraggon who kindly supplied his good old haines hunter and my deckie mate and good friend taren point julius who fished with us last tuesday night under taren pt bridge in conditions i judged wrong where tueday's sudden good westerly turn around was going to be followed by a southerly cold front and big seas which the very wise stewy swordfisherman warned me about on the monday morning.

but boys i just had to get myself back to deeper water than taren and said go tom uglies go! on wednesday night though it was bl..dy frozen when the jewies hit me hard at the start of that wicked southerly and i didn't have the heart to ask you to go again on the very next night after our lousy only bream and flathead and no baitfish episode on a colder and windier night than the night before

but boys i simply had to go back when things were right on wed even in a bl...y blizzard as that's the way i fish mates. the jewies go crazy at the start of a southerly so they can stock up their food supply too should the southerlies continue. shirl and i and little jewgaffer and alfred e neuman in the cartoon pic will really eat well tonight i tell ya.

Edited by jewgaffer

Jewgaffer, honest to God, I can't understand half of what you write - but with results like that you could be speaking Norweigan and I would bloody well learn it just to figure out what you were saying. :1prop:

It's very generous to share the knowledge that you do with regards to things like the effect of barometric movements on fish, and I know I'll be putting it into effect the next time I find out there's a Southerly on the way.

It's a credit to you that you're willing to share this stuff, and you're right - it's what this site is all about!!

Thanks mate - and keep posting!

Jewgaffer you have sort of lost me also. I have had amazing success on jew in the worst weather when everyone is at home confined to the protection of their creature comforts. I must agee with you on one important point. I have found jew to go ballistic before a major change swings through. Usually the day before fires up. I have not had great success during the few hours before a southerly change. Bream seem to go spastic during this period.

Jewgaffer, honest to God, I can't understand half of what you write - but with results like that you could be speaking Norweigan and I would bloody well learn it just to figure out what you were saying. :1prop:

It's very generous to share the knowledge that you do with regards to things like the effect of barometric movements on fish, and I know I'll be putting it into effect the next time I find out there's a Southerly on the way.

It's a credit to you that you're willing to share this stuff, and you're right - it's what this site is all about!!

Thanks mate - and keep posting!

hi mondo thanks for that.

sorry mate i will try to make my views clearer on southerly changes for you. i think this might do it :-

when the southerly is on the way fish actually sense it and binge feed and then hibernate away. some miss the boat and will hang around a little longer

however you've just goota be out there when a binge happens as they shut down fairly fast before a southerly settles in

i have the benefit of many years of fishing under my belt and the advantage of seeing things in action at a fishing park and fish farm at ballina where shirl and i go and stay with my mate jimmy and our new member jay the hat from kingscliff to fish the richmond river a few times a year.

in the case of jewies they attack the full bellied shut down fish in the early stages of a southerly and there's not much jewie action as the southerlies continue for days on end as they also tend to dissappear.

when the the ongoing southerly turns the opposite way to northerly wow but again you've gotta get there early if you want i would'nt call an amazing result being based on simply of wind direction because a variety of other factors can come into it. however i would say you have a much better chance of hooking up on one or two of these elusive fish.

that's the point i'm trying to make and i'm sorry if my writng style is a little hard for some to understand.

hope this helps mondo and kind regards.

all i can do is give it my best as to fact. i often rely on only my own opinion as to getting good results and fishing is more challenging than only doing that i tell you.

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1:

hi everyone.

i thought i would start up a new topic on the affects of barometric pressure and squid.

i read an excellent post by jimmy c and i have conversed with jimmy regularly on my recent topic of barometric pressure and fishing results and that's what being a member of fishraider is all about.

i have found jimmy c to be intelligent with a cutting edge type overview in comparing this subject with the moods and habits of humans, animals and fish, with jimmy examplifying my previous barometric pressure topic by using it as an anology for economical climates and stock market barometer trends and doing rather scientifically at that! :thumbup:

and for those readers or new members who may have missed my topic on barometric pressure and best fishing results here is a link to that :-

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=22530&hl=

oh well half a link you may have to type it in

i have included excerpts from a post by jimmy c with a basket full of squid he caught in gunnamatta bay on a so called wrong day on and with it a reply and a question from squid boy does the barometer affect squid so as to give you the background to my new topic.

QUOTE(Jimmy C @ Jul 20 2007, 03:20 PM)

Went for a quick squidding session last week at Cronulla but only just got the photos together.

QUOTE(squidboy @ Jul 20 2007, 11:30 PM)

Great work on the squiding, looks good that squid are still around after the kings are teaming up over the last summer

What does the barometre have to do in relation to squid jigging or bait fishing?

Is a rising or falling barometre good for them?

Squid Boy

.........................................................................................................................................................

my reply :- barometric pressure affects the mood and the feeding habits of fish as most fisherman would have experienced.

some marine species are not as adversely affected as others. so become active when others have shut down.

this is an example for instance. you go fishing at times when you actually feel the atmosphere doesn't feel right and you just know nothing will be biting.

you've even been told by people in the know "there's been no fish caught here for a couple of days" or "you should have been here yesterday" or "kids were catching jewfish on cockatoo feathers " and just to add a bit more emphasis for you squidboyby "even luigi caught 4 kingfish off the wharf on a string of ganged frankfurts" and "his missus got two nice flounder beauties they were with some kind of home made puke that smelt so bad it made my little granddaughter cry". :1yikes:

now your'e with me and jokes aside, you will still get a few fish that day but they will be freeks and they'll get freekier as the day worsens and the ill wind breezes on.

ok then, it's even a fine day, the barometer is rising real fast but why no fish. the answer is antartic mate. i.e. ongoing southerly influence. ring a bell ?

the creatures you will catch will be a follows - catfish, fortescues, toadies, scorpions, slimy eels, occies, sea snakes :1yikes:

you'll be having rods going off everywhere getting your heart pumping fast. "what sort of fish were they" answer " migrating jellyfish getting to hell out of there fast"

now on those days, in the right places there can be some very successful applicants and to bring it back into perspective :-

the occie will be peeping thru a little crack in his octopus garden fortress waiting for night to fall and to reach out and grab any lethargic and bloated critter that happens to swagger past like jimmy the local drunk walking along the foot path at closing time. got it?

you see the fish worst affected by the barometric pressure become easy prey for others who aren't.

now on those days which jimmy c knows very well, he soon flicked his favourite zo zuri around for the feed he was targetting and jimmy got a pretty good feed for himself too i might add.

when jimmy chose to go, the squid would be highly active and jimmy simply knew they would be even doing the dance of the sugar plum fairies for jimmy c as they had nothing much else to worry about.

hope this helps

JEWGAFFER

AND DO REMEMBER - EVERY TIME YOU GO FISHING PLEASE TAKE A KID OR TWO WITH YOU.

SO IF YOU SEE THIS SMART LITTLE BLOKE BELOW TRYING TO FISH AMONG THE USUAL JETTY MUTES OR STRUGGLING AROUND IN A KAYAK IN A SWELL OR TRYING TO PADDLE A CANOE UP A WATERFALL JUST THROW HIM IN YOUR BOAT AND BELIEVE ME BROTHER HE'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO FISH ! :thumbup::biggrin2:post-829-1184980290_thumb.jpg

FISH ON

jewgaffer :074:

:1fishing1: jewgaffer :biggrin2:post-829-1184980661_thumb.jpg with little jewgaffer who'll be a member soon

p.s. sorry fishraider member thereddraggon who kindly supplied his good old haines hunter and my deckie mate and good friend taren point julius who fished with us last tuesday night under taren pt bridge in conditions i judged wrong where tueday's sudden good westerly turn around was going to be followed by a southerly cold front and big seas which the very wise stewy swordfisherman warned me about on the monday morning.

but boys i just had to get myself back to deeper water than taren and said go tom uglies go! on wednesday night though it was bl..dy frozen when the jewies hit me hard at the start of that wicked southerly and i didn't have the heart to ask you to go again on the very next night after our lousy only bream and flathead and no baitfish episode on a colder and windier night than the night before

but boys i simply had to go back when things were right on wed even in a bl...y blizzard as that's the way i fish mates. the jewies go crazy at the start of a southerly so they can stock up their food supply too should the southerlies continue. shirl and i and little jewgaffer and alfred e neuman in the cartoon pic will really eat well tonight i tell ya.

Hi jewgaffer

Just a little thankyou, had a great time on the water with you and Julius. Picked up a lot of valuble information from you (you have given me an anfair advantage over the jews now). Ive read your posts on the barametric pressure and its effect on marine life, (you should subbmitt that to sydney Uni I think it would blow them away ) you realy know your stuff. Anyway thankyou once again, hope to catch up with you in the near future and have a laugh.

PS Still cant belive the size of those jewies you caught, great pictures. I never targeted jewies before, but now you've inspired me to show now mercy on them.

Cheers

Thereddragon

that's the point i'm trying to make and i'm sorry if my writng style is a little hard for some to understand.

hope this helps mondo and kind regards.

Mate - you don't just have a writing style - you write with style and it wasn't hard to understand at all once I paid attention (but thanks for the clarification anyways). I wouldn't ask you to change the way you word your posts for all the biscuits in Bangladesh.

Do they have biscuits in Bangladesh?

Anyways thanks again for the tips.

Mate - you don't just have a writing style - you write with style and it wasn't hard to understand at all once I paid attention (but thanks for the clarification anyways). I wouldn't ask you to change the way you word your posts for all the biscuits in Bangladesh.

Do they have biscuits in Bangladesh?

Anyways thanks again for the tips.

luv your style mondo. i always read between the lines

you're a good bloke. i'll tell you why. because i say you are and that's what counts to me.

bangladesh and biscuits, yep that goes well. you'll catch jewies.

you'll get very good at it too. i'll tell you why. you simply started thinking

cheers

jewgaffer

cripes it's 2.30 am. just got back from the hawkes with humesy, top fisho i tell ya, and the star sydney harbour jewy photographer of only last week. has a nice little quintrex and andrew's a fast and efficient boatie too

alas, the southerly influence continued and i said yep humesy i'll go but we'll only catch eels.

and you know what mondo we got 14 eels :thumbup:

i'll tell you something mondo even though the barometric rose to a great 1033 ( not that the figure means anything - it's the fluctuation that counts!

but an ongoing southerly influence always calls the shots no matter what the pressure does, and with prime jewie baits and all the tricks, we copped what we deserved!, and we really "were only targetting eels" :biggrin2:

hope this helps mate

Edited by jewgaffer

luv your style mondo. i always read between the lines

you're a good bloke. i'll tell you why. because i say you are and that's what counts to me.

bangladesh and biscuits, yep that goes well. you'll catch jewies.

you'll get very good at it too. i'll tell you why. you simply started thinking

cheers

jewgaffer

cripes it's 2.30 am. just got back from the hawkes with humesy, top fisho i tell ya, and the star sydney harbour jewy photographer of only last week. has a nice little quintrex and andrew's a fast and efficient boatie too

alas, the southerly influence continued and i said yep humesy i'll go but we'll only catch eels.

and you know what mondo we got 14 eels :thumbup:

i'll tell you something mondo even though the barometric rose to a great 1033 ( not that the figure means anything - it's the fluctuation that counts!

but an ongoing southerly influence always calls the shots no matter the pressure does, and with prime jewie baits and all the tricks in reality we were only targetting eels :biggrin2:

hope this helps mate

Jew,

you know your stuff mate, cant wait to get out and land a heap.

only thing i am worried about is there being any left after your last assult.

:biggrin2:

Jew,

you know your stuff mate, cant wait to get out and land a heap.

only thing i am worried about is there being any left after your last assult.

:biggrin2:

yeah vince by the time i finish they'll be only one eel in the whole darn river! and you can rest assured he'll be sick of my squid :074:

regards vince and phone me when you want to get the very last eel for your freek museum and vince with you short notice is always ok

regards jewgaffer

go the eels ....

• 2 weeks later...

Jewgaffer you have sort of lost me also. I have had amazing success on jew in the worst weather when everyone is at home confined to the protection of their creature comforts. I must agee with you on one important point. I have found jew to go ballistic before a major change swings through. Usually the day before fires up. I have not had great success during the few hours before a southerly change. Bream seem to go spastic during this period.

gee femalefisho i just found your post which i had overlooked so excuse my late acknowledgment

you know your jewies real good and i think that's a real gift for a lady to have. :thumbup:

so i hope you catch a motza right now while this nice north east change hangs in, the calm before the storm i call it and it looks like there's going to be more blizzards and low pressure shutdowns, coming in soon from the south

kind regards femalefisho and hope you master it all by continuing to fish real smart :thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1: