Story And An Update On The 21.8 Kilo Gt Trevally Caught By Jackjayno1 A Photo Of Jay's Mentor

jewgaffer

STORY AND UPDATE ON JAKJAYNO1'S 21.8 KILO GIANT TREVALLY AND A PHOTO OF JAY'S FISHING MENTOR GUN FISHERMAN JIMMY BOWERS OF BALLINA.

this giant 21.8 kilo trevally caught in the tweed river by jay cottrell of kingscliff, fishraider jackjayno1, has been subsequently mounted by a taxidermist and is now displayed in jay cottrell's trophy room.

post-829-1185249016_thumb.jpg GUN FISHO JAY "THE HAT" COTTRELL AKA JAKJAYNO1

that trevally would be a great sight to see in the flesh when shirl and i spend some time with jay in kingscliff in the coming weeks.

i am sure jay will spend lots of time telling me some of his own secrets on how to really target the large varieties of big fish in rivers so i should be able to relate back the facts and best methods for our younger members for pulling good fish from from beaches, cliff faces and river mouths to backwaters, streams under road culverts and shallower seepage lakes.

i wanted to add that some of our young fishos seem to motor away in their boat way from the unobvious hot spots and fish in the deepest wrong waters. land based fishos should creep up at night in stealth in the darkest area, drop a big livie down and make sure you remain hidden and silent with not even a cigarette lighter or a headlamp flash. you be pleasantly surprized, you may get a trophy fish size fish yourself.

when i was up in ballina with jimmy bowers, jay, and fish kill phil scott in july of last year jimmy won the second largest whiting and jay won the second largest largest cobia in the evans/ballina classic..

..there was no prize for the pike eel i caught which jimmy said was the biggest pike eel he'd ever seen, and over two foot around it's girth.

when i got it near my net it actually launched itself onto the rock jimmy and i were standing on, lined the both of us up and actually lunged at us snapping like a rabied dog.

jimmy said we should take it down the ballina japanese restaurant they would pay $60 bucks but it would be hard to knock on the door with a monster like that in our arms.

i have included photos of my best friend the gun grass roots ballina fisho jimmy bowers , the former brother in law from a long way back and still one of the best fishing mates of our own stewy swordfisherman

thanks everyone and jewhunter jay received your pm and is looking forward to fishing the tweed with you. grant would you please forward the photo of the big jewies you caught on plastics near the mouth of narrabeen in the rain after the flood. they are too big to go thru my email.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

post-829-1185249781_thumb.jpg THE GREAT JIMMY BOWERS

post-829-1185249016_thumb.jpg JAY "THE HAT" COTTRELL AKA JAKJAYNO1

post-829-1185253470_thumb.jpg I added this recent photo of my fishing mate italian sam with a trophy size bream and a small jewie caught when we fished at the same spot i fished with humesy during the ongoing southerly shut down on sunday which resulted in our 14 eels :yahoo:

Love that stonker of a Bream Italian Sam is holding.

Which episode of the Sopranos did he appear in? :gun_bandana:

penguin

i like that reply penguin fits sam real well :biggrin2: , one of the nicest universally accepted blokes you'd ever hope to meet though

don't think i'd ever getta many nicer blokes outside of jimmy jay and italian sam as family friends and close fishing mates

it's funny how you do get the real big bream when the jews come in and the little ones get to hellout of there

penguin tell you what, it's funny to see when i'm up at ballina when the jews are chasing the bull mullet, jimmy and jackjayno1 and i have contests to see who can throw the biggest bream the furthest coz they peck the eyes out of our livies and then chop off their nose and their breathing works.

so what is our bread and butter fish down here sometimes needs pest repellent up there.

thanks for chatting mate. i find my self running to check my mailbox when the email pager bloke make his announcement as i have nothing much else on my plate till someone pm's me or phones me to fish as my prop is getting the blades repaired

regards

:1yikes::thumbup::yahoo:

WHAT A FISH!!!

What kind of gear did Jay land it on, jewgaffer?

Flattieman.

21.8 KILO GIANT TREVALLY CAPTURED JULY 2007 BY JAY COTTRELL AKA FISHRAIDER "JAKJAYNO1" post-829-1185531440_thumb.jpg

post-829-1185533767_thumb.jpg LURE GOLD BOMBER LONG A

hi flattieman. i appreciate this question and answering in some detail does gives me a chance to emphasise how important it is for younger members to get their gear right when targetting predator fish particularly when fishing in environments where bigger specimens are likely to be lurking.

jay cottrell went out to target trevally on a hard body lure and jay knew precisely when and where to do it at this time of the year.

as you would be well aware, the timing has to be near perfect to target any fish on artificial bait such as lures

simply put the conditions have to be properly assessed and, not that there is an over abundance of fish as much as the particular species has to be on the boil. try as much as you like on hardbodies or plastics and you won't get results unless you know firstly the actual conditions and secondly the likely feeding habits of the particular species you are targetting in those conditions

there are certain things i can't post in open forum so let me just use the words these words for now :-

this particular giant trevally capture may well lead to bigger things for our young gun fishraider jakjayno1, jay cottrell

flattieman here is the detail you are asking.

REEL shimano calcutta 700 overhead

ROD 12 kilo shakspr custom built double handed ugly stik u.s.a. blank tr range tiger

LINE 50lb sufix braid

LEADER 40lb seguar fluro carbon 1 1/2 metre wind on leader

LURE KNOT surgeons loop

LURE gold bomber long A

LOCATION the fish was caught in the tweed river, preserved and mounted by jay's taxidermist

regards

Edited by jewgaffer

My god What a GT! The smile says it all! Jewgaffer I have to say from silently slipping downstairs to escape the wedding plans from the Fiancee and mother inlaw to reading this article I have gone from losing my life one minute to fighting the urge to flick some poppers into the duckpond outside.

I must say keep the posts coming in they have so much info I'm sure a lot will agree and with advice like that if you are ever looking at adopting a 29 year old currently hiding from the mother inlaw drop me a line. :1prop:

Congrats to your mate Jay on the fish a top effort!

Cheers,

Joe